Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again
I'm looking to service my 407 sw 2.0 l hdi, I've never attempted anything like this and was wondering if anybody has any tips, a few other queries are;
Best place to get a service kit from.
Type of oil. ( sticker inside engine recommends total)
I don't have the tool to remove the oil filter, are there any other ways of getting it out?
Do I have to disconnect the battery, or neutral of battery? ( if so I've only just bought the car and I don't have the code for the radio , any thoughts on this)
General tips etc.
Thanks for reading, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's always best to pay a little more on the quality gear, rather than saving on a few quid for something which may not be as good. Oil is a good example, PSA develop an engine using certain fluids, and the engine performance is optimised using their chosen oil, so you can expect to get the best performance by using what they recommend.

Some people say oil is oil, but these are precision-engineered bits of kit.

In theory, the filters should only be hand tight, but sometimes you have to wrestle them off. A chain or strap wrench is tried and trusted.

You don't specifically need to disconnect the battery to do an oil change, however it's worth noting that when disconnecting the battery, there is a recommended procedure - it's well documented on the forum. A quick search should show it up. It will make the car forget the radio code though. You can get a memory saver device which plugs into the cigarette lighter which will keep the ECU from forgetting the radio code. You can get them for about £20 from Machine Mart.

You'll need;
a sump plug socket (21mm I think),
a new washer,
filter,
gloves (used oil can be nasty) a bucket for your used oil,
loads of rags/newspaper in case of spillages,
funnel for the oil (helps prevent spillage),

How far are you going with the servicing? Are you checking other parts for condition?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello and welcome, you will need a 27 socket to remove the oil filter plastic housing to replace oil filter. Just done oil change on my 407 sw 56 plate. Put 5/30 in Mobil. Good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be careful not to over tighten the oil filter housing as I broke mine and had to visit the scrapyard for a replacement £5. Dealer wanted £36. Easy to over tighten if not paying attention.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the great advice , it's a real help, I'm just going to change the oil, air filter, fuel filter,oil filter, cabin filter, add a cleaner into the fuel, not sure what else due to not very experienced in this, obviously there's probably a whole lot of other items, if there's anything else and it's quite basic I'd obviously do it, thanks again !!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Oil - Total 5w30 - Turns out it's one of the cheapest you can buy and is C2 compliant for HDi's. Mobil 1 is fine to use but costs significantly more. Why bother when you can have what the manufacturer recommends for cheap!?

Filters - Bosch or Purflux. I would go with Purflux personally now as Bosch quality has gone down a fair bit now.

Cabin Filter - Mann Frecious Plus if it fits, if not the standard charcoal Mann filter.

Do not add a fuel cleaner into the system, you very rarely have control over what it contains and it very rarely helps. I would use Esso premium diesel, it contains twice the detergents of standard diesel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be careful when changing the fuel filter. The housing only has a plastic head and can be a bstrd to get off if it hasn't been changed for a while so be gentle and take your time.
The fuel lines are quick release, use the plugs that come with the new filter to stop fuel leaking.

I do a full service on mine yearly and it's actually quite enjoyable!

·
4,154 Posts
Mine is now I cut a sump plug access hole in the undertray...:thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi just an update, had a bit of time today, the motor is showing depolution fault so I've bought a egr blank and fitted that today, I've also changed the fuel filter, oil filter(the old one seemed really stiff as though it had been in for ages) and air filter, I had a nightmare with the sump plug , it's a 8mm Allen key/hex with a rounded edge, just couldn't get it to budge, sprayed loads of wd40 on it( what a daft idea, why isn't it just a normal bolt), is there a special tool or something to get it out? Not sure if it's rounded a bit now where the Allen key goes in, anybody else had this issue?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again ,just after a little more advice again ,once I manage to remove the sump plug, would anybody recommend doing an oil flush bearing in mind the car hasn't much service history and high mileage, it's throwing out a bit of blue smoke on first start up but other than that it seems fine and isn't losing oil or anything, anything else I should do to try to prevent further problems? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Replace the sump plug - You don't want to undo it.... Just to find out you can't replace it.

Reading your other posts, it seems your 407 is a little unloved.

Personally I am against using flushes - It can dislodge large bits which can then end up clogging vital parts such as oil jets.

Change the oil (it already has detergents in it to clean the engine), drive it around for a bit, then change sooner.

The bluish smoke on startup is either oil seeping past the turbo seals, piston rings or valve guides - nothing an oil flush will solve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.