Peugeot Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
well i managed to get 6L of oil for £20! so you could of got cheaper and you can also get more expensive...it depends on what you want. myself just got unipart oil, turns out it conforms to ford recommendations and they supply the local garages and dealerships.

i also paid around £5 for the oil filter, so £25 for those, if i go to a garage im looking at maybe double even triple that!

i would say though, if a garage is doing an oil change for less then you bought the oil and filter i would be wondering why and what quality goods are they using.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
the radiator is nowhere near....When you dont even have enough room for an oil filter strap then believe me the screwy is the only way to go....trust me, im not just some cowboy.....:cool:
got to vouch to this in regards to the oil filter being nowhere near the radiator. currently mine sits above the drive shaft, at the bottom of the block at the back....if that makes sense....and ive seen the same in other cars.

only different is my old 307 where the oil filter was located in the middles, accessed from the top and uses a socket wrench to change.:thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
well, there is no way this one uses a socket wrench.
I think the guy from the shop offered me to buy for about 13£ the special plastic spanner - or whatever u call it for taking the oil filter out ...but I will probably use it just once so I don't see the reason really.

after this oil change I will probably drive this car for 1 year and when the no claim bonus hits, will be changing to something else :) ..bigger :D

·
11,731 Posts
£38 for oil seems rather steep, what did you buy?

As for a stuck filter, I read this:

Remember that the filter is not stuck on the threads. It is stuck on the compressed gasket between the filter and the block. If you can break that bond the filter will spin free easily. So take a single edge razor blade and work it between the gasket and the block and slide it all the way around the gasket. You might need to use a thin screw driver instead, but be careful. You don’t want to scar up the machined surface that the oil filter gasket presses against.
The trick with the screwdriver is not to make the mistake of trying to hammer it all the way through and damage the screw mount.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think I asked the oil guy on the forum and he recommended something also for around 35£ so I thought the shop price would be fair.

I don't remember the brand/type but I know it is specially made for peugeot diesel. every other parts seem to have the same prices as everybody said so I thought that is a normal oil price :D

I don't care if I paid 5-10£ more, but I will be worried if I paid like 50% more :)

I'll try the trick with the razorblade (alltnough I don't know where to get some :D, haven't seen them for a while now!) ..or just be careful with the screwdriver ...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i pick up single razor blades from wilkinsons and tescos...they come in a small plastic holder (as you may well know). used to use the thing when i was at basic training to make sure i was getting all the stubble :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
using a electric braun shaver for so many years now ...
I know that at places like tesco I can find something like that...but with all the disposable razors from today I didn't even know if they still exist :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
307 1.6 hdi diesel filter

hi

can someone tell me where the fuel filter is please on a 2006 (56) 1.6 hdi 90 307, facelift model.
cheers
b

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, I have managed to service the car. everything went fine.
changed the diesel filter as well - I think it was never changed before as it had a original made in austria one inside. Anyway, everything is done now and car works fine.

Should I see any changes in fuel consumption after this service having changed all filters/etc ?

Also, I was talking with someone on how you can see if the oil is due to a change by how black it is, and the guy told me that if you put new oil in the car after 50miles it turns blakc already, so you can't really know!

Is that so ? It is not what I remember from my other cars ...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
glad you got it sorted. :thumb:

as for the oil, if its petrol the oil should stay honey coloured for a while. i even changed mine when it still was that colour.

if its diesels the oil goes black almost straight away, you can tell if it needs doing as you get a little bit on your fingers and rub it, it should be smooth but if gritty get it changed. i just do it when i reach the service mileage...easier that way

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
hi gibbo / john!

thanks for all the tips on the way. also big thx to everyone else.
i will monitor the oil to see when it gets dark :D

yep, it is a diesel, and I will try and see if it does better milage.
having no trip computer, with my previous car I use to fill it up and then drive 100 km and fill it up again and do the math for l/100 km.

is this the way to go or u guys have other ideas if no trip computer?

also, I do mix driving, london+m4 or this WE we are going to france ...so I don't know how relevant it will be ...

we will see.

the only thing that still needs fixing now is the freaking stereo! still haven't managed to figure it out ...

I think I will just go to halfords and buy one on sale and see if it works.
any idea if I can return it or what the return policy is ? do they also help on things like this?

thx!

·
11,731 Posts
I was quite fortunate in working out my mileage. I drove from Wirral to Warrington every day. The commute was so awful (either stick to 50mph in the inside lane or chance it in the other two doing 70 for about 3 seconds then slamming on the brakes then zooming off again when the traffic started moving). I rarely took the car out in the evenings or at weekends, so my weekly drive was identical, and I filled the tank up to the brim, reset the counter and then made a note when the car beeped and the low fuel warning came on the dash (a pointless feature if ever there was one since there's an amber light on the fuel gauge!)

Anyway, when I first got the car I was getting about 500 to a tank. I gave it a really good service, new tyres and brakes (they needed doing after a couple of months) and that went up to 550. After I got Planet and diagnosed and fixed a MAF sensor fault, removing and cleaning and re-securing all air pipes it went up even further, and kept doing regular oil changes every 6000 miles and started using that Millers additive.

Towards the end it was very rare that I didn't get 600 miles out of a tank.

For the stereo you should be ok going to Argos or somewhere. The Sony one I had was a very easy, perfect fit - done in about 10 minutes. Or if you want the stalk to work try caraudiodirect - as they do stereos and all the right leads and cables and will advise without high pressure sales.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
so we did a weekend mini trip and I calculated about 500-550 miles per tank with some mixed traffic. (London/dover/bruges/brussels/antwer/eindhoven/seeland/gent/bruges/calais/london)

was fun to drive again on the continent, people really know how to drive compared to UK I must say, they alsways keep clear the speedlane (passinglane) which does not realyl happen here :( ..and in my opinion this created a hell of a traffic sometimes, especially at some junctions with incoming traffic into the motorway.

what are your experiences on this ?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts