Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather embarrassed by this but I completely forgot to get the car serviced last year and have just discovered this.

Please can somebody remind me of when it should be done (mileage done or months passed)?

Probably I'm about to find that I no longer have a full service history, but at least I know it only does around 6000 a year.

C

·
0 Posts
10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It's fine to leave it 10k but no longer as they have a small oil capacity and the oil had to work hard.

The schedule is minor, Internediate, minor, major on the normal duty cycle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It's fine to leave it 10k but no longer as they have a small oil capacity and the oil had to work hard.

The schedule is minor, Internediate, minor, major on the normal duty cycle.
I am sure you are right Chopper but there is one thing that I noticed and that is the ratio of number of pistons to the sump volume (engine oil volume). There seems to be a liter of engine oil volume for every piston, plus extra for filter. For example my Aygo has three pistons and there fore three liters of engine oil plus extra for filter. My BMW E 90 has four pistons and therefore four litres and a little extra for filter. Some BMW are six cylinder and need six litre plus filter volume. If this ratio is right then the sump of Aygo is not small compared to the number of pistons.

·
12,070 Posts
And bear in mind that regular stop-starting and short journeys puts the car servicing into the ARDUOUS category (previously reserved for hot countries).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I am sure you are right Chopper but there is one thing that I noticed and that is the ratio of number of pistons to the sump volume (engine oil volume). There seems to be a liter of engine oil volume for every piston, plus extra for filter. For example my Aygo has three pistons and there fore three liters of engine oil plus extra for filter. My BMW E 90 has four pistons and therefore four litres and a little extra for filter. Some BMW are six cylinder and need six litre plus filter volume. If this ratio is right then the sump of Aygo is not small compared to the number of pistons.

It may be that a 3 cylinder engine will work harder for same average speed than a 6 cylinder engine, in addition even though each has a filter if you took water contamination that may occur from condensation you would need twice as much contamination before the 6 cylinder suffered in the same way as 3 cylinder car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts