Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

the outcome of my neighbour keeping his foot on the brake and accelerator when he got in a bit of a panic is a burnt out clutch! we sold him the 2010 plate 3008 Hdi a few weeks ago and it had no issues.
the Clutch has just cost him £1000.00 to replace! he said there was lots of smoke and the smell was awful, how long would it take to do damage to a perfectly good clutch?

thanks

Paul.

·
2,247 Posts
Hi,....the clutch assy can cope with a bit of heat ...but if there is smoke its burnt...I suspect the flywheel would have 'blued' as well..all that can happen in less than 1 min given enough revs.....and also the clutch was about 50k old so probably didnt have too much life left anyway.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,....the clutch assy can cope with a bit of heat ...but if there is smoke its burnt...I suspect the flywheel would have 'blued' as well..all that can happen in less than 1 min given enough revs.....and also the clutch was about 50k old so probably didnt have too much life left anyway.....
Thanks Noddy-hol

it seems like he was under pressure to get out of a space and isn't used to an automatic, his wife said there was smoke everywhere?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Noddy-hol

it seems like he was under pressure to get out of a space and isn't used to an automatic, his wife said there was smoke everywhere?
Noddy is 50 K the average for a clutch on one of these? it has done 70K and we had it 5 years and probably put 30K on it- serviced every year but never had any work done on the clutch.

·
2,247 Posts
Hi...he may not understand the gearbox a realy a manual box with electric gear change...he will find lots to ask ...If I left mine in gear at a junction for too long It asked me to select neutral....to avoid excessive clutch slip/overheat.....E.C.G gearbox

·
2,247 Posts
Noddy is 50 K the average for a clutch on one of these? it has done 70K and we had it 5 years and probably put 30K on it- serviced every year but never had any work done on the clutch.
no...I was guessing as earlier you said the car was a 2010 so i guessed the mileage ...those clutches are not subject to low mileage...It just depends on how they are treated..:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no...I was guessing as earlier you said the car was a 2010 so i guessed the mileage ...those clutches are not subject to low mileage...It just depends on how they are treated..:thumb:
Noddy-hol

thanks for the advice , much appreciated- think we will agree to go halves for the sake of being neighbourly .

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
These clutches do wear out a bit quicker than Real manual clutches 70-80k is the norm for clutch issues to appear but i done 1 recently on a citroen and it had started slipping at 42k miles !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts