Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my diesel i have a back box where the exhaust points downwards

latelly its been slightly lower then normal so i had a look. it seems its held by a rubber mount by the rear left wheel

the mount is still intact but its sagging.

i have secured it with cable ties now but the exhaust now clonks when you start it up (not able to move as much)

whats the best way to secure these and get it as high as possible considering the bend in the pipe

thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
New rubber mount from ats is a couple of quid you can then lever up the pin that goes through the rubber so it is at your desired height.
:thumb:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the cable ties as it made the exhaust rattle lol

I have had a look at both mounts and they look fine

Is the ats part a modification as I can't see a way to adjust mine?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its still in 1 piece yes

the little tie around it can this take the weight of the mount. if so can i jack up the exhaust and tighten it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
everyone i see on ebay or on my car seems to be some kind of rubber strap
I've bought two of these recently from Peugeot and the straps are a woven material, just like you might find on the strap of a rucksack. I would think the straps themselves would support the weight but the straps are a loop and where they join is a piece of plastic. I'm not so sure this plastic would survive the constant weight and bouncing of the exhaust.

·
11,961 Posts
Spot on Jack, you explained it better than my attempt!

"Braided metal strap" is the correct term!

And it does wear away eventually. They're about £15 from Peugeot.

S

·
0 Posts
Rubber perishes over time so the mounts might be weakening

I'd just go with a couple of new mounts and see if it improves, if not its only a couple of quid done!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heres a pic as you can see its intact but very low lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

will a new one pull it up to the top ?

also does anyone know why the cable tie is there? what should be there instead

·
Registered
556 Posts
The new 1 may lift it a touch but I'd just bend the bar down that is welded to the box be careful of box clearance there as it looks close to the car, does the box have a join behind the box? If so and if you don't have clearance it might want twisting.
I guess tho that you can physically lift the box where you want?
If so just bend the bar down which will lift the box and then forget about it.
:thumb:
Be careful doing it a the box is older it may be weak where it joins to the bar, i usually get a pipe wrench on the end and bends it down but normally you'd take the mount off and heat the bar up with a burner then lean on the bar to adjust it.
;)
Also if you can't be bothered and you know that the exhaust originally sat higher then the obvious weak link is the rubber mount.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the exhaust is only about a year old so i hope it wont fall apart

i always thought it looked low. the end is only about 20cms from the floor.

is that how the mount looks like with weight on it?

i dont know about a joint behind the backbox. it seems to go on forever lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
Most fast fit places whack exhausts on as is and do minor adjustments but done properly you have a oxy burner and big lever, you'd expect the exhaust to be a good fit but i have previously had to heat the exhaust pipe itself up in order to move the exhaust where it needed to go lol.
The exhaust should be under no strain and sitting nicely where it wants to be and the rubber is there supporting it, not sure what the cable tie is doing there.
So as said bend the metal bar down until the exhaust is where you want it, after give it a firm shake in all directions to test then a road test, all done.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i cant see how the cable tie will stop the exhaust coming out. i gather thats what its there for? or is it just to hold it in position

1 - 19 of 19 Posts