Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

had my 2012 2.0 HDi Allure SW for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed a few things.. Are these normal?

a) The auto gearbox isn't always very shall we say smooth when pulling away. Previously I had an XC70 SE sport and that really shifted through the gears. Although I am getting twice the mpg so possibly longer gearing for economy?

b) Alarm going off on the slope.. The dealership have just told me that it is normal and to yurn off the tilt alarm via the button if parking on a slope

c) Load cover... flimsy or what? Anyone had a dog guard fitted and have a recommendation please?

d) Aaarrggghhhh...buttons....arrgghhhhh. Why!!!! Seems that a lot of functions are repeated by buttons on the wheel, centre console and also the dash.

e) So quiet on the motorway... Sometimes I have just turned the sound on the radio down and listened to the sound of almost nothing.. Well the car seat in the back seems to have an annoying squeak but the 508 seems well screwed together

f) The stereo is a bit, well tinny. Is this normal for the car? had the Volvo premium sound system so not sure if it is a fair comparison but is this normal?

g) DPF.. Does the 2.0 engine need a long run ever so often for a dpf regen and does it tell you?

Very happy with it so far.. Taking it to Slovakia and back in July and will be interesting to see how it compares to the same journey I've done in the SAAB 93 and Volvo XC70!

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Vinba

a, The eat 6 gearbox is a learning box so probably set its self for the previous owner. There are ways to reset the box yourself. Search "reset Auto box"
b, You're dealer is bulling you. Update available
c, Can't help with that one
d, Designed to stop you having to continually reach over to adjust things. Also the passenger can mess with the controls if "she" wants.
e, I agree
f, There are two types of stereo fitted in the 508. The standard is quite rubbish. The JBL comes as an extra. Still not great but much better
g, Yes you will need to drive enough for the DPF to "regen". This is very important because a new filter will cost in excess of £1200

Hope this helps.

Grumpy.

Reactions: vinba

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers grumpyoldgit.. Have had the RT6 upgraded to 2.86 today and strangely the stereo does sound a little better.

BTW does anyone know a good Peugeot Indy down Orpington way?

Thanks

Vince.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The unanimous opinion is that the 508 is superior in ride comfort and space to the xc70.

The alarm went off again parked just on a kerb so the dealership are going to check about the update on Monday

Complete and utterly different service compared to the disgraceful volvo main dealership.

· Registered
170 Posts
Glad your enjoying the 508, had my RXH for about 18 months now and although I still miss my old Eclass Merc it's a good car that I'll be keeping for a good few years yet.

Re your observations,
A, very different type of box to the Volvo, it will get better but won't ever be as smooth, you can help it a little by backing off the throttle a tiny bit during a change which will help.
B, as you've found, not normal mine doesn't do it at all even when I park on some big hills visiting family in Sheffield.
C, yep quite flimsy, not a great design but not bad at the same time, afraid I don't have a dog so not looked at a guard but in the past I've found the net is normally adequate unles your pooch is constantly trying to get through?
D, loads of button, but fills out the space nicely.
E, yep theyre quiet, but I have noticed not much better than my 14 yo Merc was, still a nice car to drive on a motorway though.
F, found the same, I had a good play with a song on loop adjusting the settings till I got it how I liked, not amazing but but much better.
G, yep take it for a run and get up to temp, the car doesn't tell you when the regen is underway but you should feel a little difference while driving, I've also found my car regens less when using she'll vpower nitro plus (or what ever it's called) compared to using other fuels which is interesting I find

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers v6matty. I've got a steepish slope at home lengthways and the alarm never goes off.. It's only when tilted. Dealership are going to get back to me on Monday hopefully with the fix grumpyoldgit had done.

Don't have a dog but found the dog guard good for cramming stuff in the boot on long holidays.

Am thinking of getting a dog though.. Anyone have a cockapoo?

I see what you mean about the autobox. Suppose it just gets taking a bit of time getting used to..

Tried the sports mode button yesterday..me like...

· Registered
170 Posts
Yeah I don't find the cargo net bad for cramming stuff in, I have emptied offices of IT equipment in mine and although it feels flimsy it not actually bad, keeps its tension quite well.

And yes, sports mode is very fun, in the RXH I get the added benefit of the electric motors kicking in at the same time, so not just better throttle response but extra 40 bhp as well :thumb:

· Registered
42 Posts
Hello!

a) The auto gearbox isn't always very shall we say smooth when pulling away. Previously I had an XC70 SE sport and that really shifted through the gears. Although I am getting twice the mpg so possibly longer gearing for economy?

Hello, the gearbox is called a manual automatic, basically it was a manual box then some genius at Peugeot thought automatic would be better, so instead of putting a real reliable automatic in they made the manual with a motor that changes the gears for you, its a bad idea really as the gearbox is abit poop, i have the same one, it is knows a the jerk-o-tronic incase you hear it mention, the car is still great

my speakers are abit tinny too, i might upgrade them as speakers are fairly cheap on ebay these days

· Registered
502 Posts
Hello!

Hello, the gearbox is called a manual automatic, basically it was a manual box then some genius at Peugeot thought automatic would be better, so instead of putting a real reliable automatic in they made the manual with a motor that changes the gears for you, its a bad idea really as the gearbox is abit poop, i have the same one, it is knows a the jerk-o-tronic incase you hear it mention, the car is still great

my speakers are abit tinny too, i might upgrade them as speakers are fairly cheap on ebay these days
you have Peugeot 508 1.6 e-HDi with manual automatic, vinba have Peugeot 508 2.0 HDi with proper automatic gear box

Reactions: vinba

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.. I thought it might be the proper auto instead of the automated manual...

I think I might do the gearbox reset as has been recommended.... when I can get the car back from the Mrs as she seems to have blown the turbo on her SAAB..:eek:. ouch. She's borrowing the 508 and her last comment was via whatsapp and it was 'It has nice acceleration'... :thumb:

I've asked Peugeot about the software update for the alarm as the dealership said they'd find out and get back to me but haven't yet.. I'll give them a few more days.

· Registered
200 Posts
a) The auto gearbox isn't always very shall we say smooth

My wife's 308 EGC isn't all that good, put me right off. I'd go for a proper auto though.

b) Alarm going off on the slope.

I live on a hill and have not had any problems with the alarm.

c) Load cover...

Not as good as the 406 which was half rigid, half roll out. Very handy for somewhere to put stuff while you unload other stuff. I got a piece of MDF cut that slips under the roll out bit to replicate this feature. I can let you have the dimensions if you like. Also see my post about my 'Home Mad (sic, typo) luggag screen' http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/508-76/home-mad-luggage-screen-262058/

d) buttons.

I'm fine with this, but rarely change any settings, Radio 3 or 4 on the radio, volume on the wheel, air con temp,

e) So quiet on the motorway...

Funny, mine has that annoying squeak as well.

f) The stereo is a bit, well tinny

Perhaps I'm not very discerning, my 508 is the Allure.

g) DPF.. Does the 2.0 engine need a long run ever so often for a dpf regen and does it tell you?

Yes, there's something in the manual about how it works.

If you're going to Slovakia give some thought to Motor Rail. There's an overnight sleeper service from Dusseldorf to Vienna. Do a search for the man in seat 61 for more info.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fixed the annoying squeak by removing and replacing the car seat.. I suspect that the teeth on the isofix mounting were causing it.

I've done Slovakia once in the Saab 93 (bliss) and twice in the xc70 (drank a lot of fuel and went into limp mode when the swirl flaps closed at £100 mph on the autobhan :eek:)

Usually stop off in Frankfurt and also detouring via Telc in 'Czechia' :rolleyes:

Telc looks like this btw

Tel� - Photogallery - UNESCO Czech heritage

beautiful and worth visiting

I'm getting about twice the mpg compared to the XC70 so will report back on how I do with the filling up on the continent!

Thanks for the info about the sleeper.. Might think about it for future trips although I'm looking forward to driving the Pug in Europe :thumb:

And the radio does seem to sound a little better since the upgrade to 2.86 but not a patch on the XC70's Premium sound system.. I can live with that though.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks nice.
By the way I thought the point about the squeak was a sardonic comment on the occupant of the seat rather than the seat itself.
lol.. The squeak from the passenger seat is drowned out by the stereo

The sound from the child seat is usually asking 'go faster' or 'both hands' whenever I take one hand off the wheel.

Like the perspex guard BTW :)

· Registered
170 Posts
I totally missed you were driving out to Slovakia, done that trip many times in the past, one in a Volvo V40 and 3 times in my Mercedes E270 (totally effortless), not yet done it in the Pug but we are doing Switzerland this year which should be amazing, Where about in Slovakia are you going, my wife comes from Poprad?

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I totally missed you were driving out to Slovakia, done that trip many times in the past, one in a Volvo V40 and 3 times in my Mercedes E270 (totally effortless), not yet done it in the Pug but we are doing Switzerland this year which should be amazing, Where about in Slovakia are you going, my wife comes from Poprad?
Going to Nitra to stay with in-laws.. Wife is from Banska Bystrica (which is also lovely). Not been to Poprad but i hear it is very nice around there.. Have a colleague from Slovak language school whose wife is from Poprad!

Drove back in the horrid rain last night and I must admit the wet grip handling is pretty good.. The car has Maxxis Premitra HP5's on.. A brand I'd never heard of before.. Felt less twitchy than the SAAB 93 with it's Conti Sport Contacts

Also I understand that the Pug has hydraulic steering instead of electronic which give a bit better feedback?

· Registered
170 Posts
Going to Nitra to stay with in-laws.. Wife is from Banska Bystrica (which is also lovely). Not been to Poprad but i hear it is very nice around there.. Have a colleague from Slovak language school whose wife is from Poprad!

Drove back in the horrid rain last night and I must admit the wet grip handling is pretty good.. The car has Maxxis Premitra HP5's on.. A brand I'd never heard of before.. Felt less twitchy than the SAAB 93 with it's Conti Sport Contacts

Also I understand that the Pug has hydraulic steering instead of electronic which give a bit better feedback?
lol small world, yes it's lovely round there and so close to the tatras.

I've had Maxxis in the past and they're a very good tyre, as you've found their wet grip is brilliant. I'm personally running Nexen's, ran two sets on the Merc and one set on the pug so far, brilliant budget tyre and out performs many of the big brands in wet condition tests.

I'd heard that too, and seems totally possible, the feedback seems excellent for the size of the car.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone found the keyless entry a bit...erm.. temperamental? Works perfectly with the key but sometimes doesn't register that they key is near the door and doesn't allow you to unlock the car? It then fixes itself...

· Registered
200 Posts
On the whole I find it pretty reliable, although the offside rear and nearside front door handle sensors have failed. Having said that it used to be that nearside rear sensor didn't work while the NS front did. I can't be bothered to do anything about it.
Just occasionally I'm told that the key hasn't been detected whereupon I wave it at the dashboard and sarcastically ask the car "what do you think this is then?" That works!
My biggest failure was a flat battery in the key fob which meant using the slide out key to get into the car to retrieve a spare battery rescued from my late lamented 406 fob.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.