Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Peugeot 307, 1.6, 5 door car. I get a loud squealing when I start the car and turn the wheel or switch on the ac. It goes away after I drive a few kilometers. I have changed the serpentine belt, guide pulleys, the ac clutch and bearing, the water pump and bearing and tensioned the belt. What else can I do?

·
Registered
453 Posts
This can be caused by putting an extra load on the alternator thus causing the bearings in the alty to scream,
Check battery condition, if old this could then be the cause.
I've owned a number of cars that when started used to scream on start up and it was either a tired old battery or I'd left something on ie radio over night, does it disappear after several minutes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks johnbrander,

The noise normally goes away after a few minutes or I travel above 60km/h. I don't think it's the battery. I checked the charge and it is good. The car starts well.
I have read something about bad alignment of the belt, but apart from visually trying to align the pulleys, I don't know how I can do this. The belt seems to be aligned but I don't know how much tolerance there is in this alignment.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Get someone to rev the engine while you look at wether the tensioner pulley moves up/down with the revs taking any slack out of the belt.
Are you sure that you were supplied with the correct length belt, some places will sell you a belt that is perhaps a little longer (5mm) as that is all they stock. check too that it has the correct No of ribs present (5/6), again a neighbour of mine went to get a new belt for his, which I fitted for him, correct length but only had 5 ribs instead of 6 and a week or so later it threw it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the extra advice. I bought the belt from Peugeot Service and it has the right number of ribs. They looked it up on their computer using my chassis number so I guess the length is right. The tensioner does not actually move once tensioned. It is manually adjusted and then tightened in that spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts