Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 3008 GT Line this weekend,

the maps were really out of date, it didn't have the M74/M73/M8 upgrades on it so anyone travelling from glasgow to edinburgh would be in no mans land half the time.

I tried to follow the processes described on a few of the pages here and the peugeot sites however ran into some difficulties, the map wouldn't update as the firmware was incorrect.

the problem was after i downloaded the maps and firmware and extracted the files they both come with a updateinfo.xml doc which describes the update, unfortunately they are different for each update so there can only be one.

Though i would post for anyone else experiencing issues.

the solution was to do firstly the firmware update on its own

I used a 16GB SANDISK USB 3.0 stick and this structure:

Usb root >
updateinfo.xml
[LICENSE]
[SWL] > [001315031511946541]

Just start the engine, press the nav button, and insert the usb.
after a wee moment it will come up with update messages and its pretty much just ok, ok, ok from there. for me this took almost exactly 30 mins.
worth pointing out here that the screen rebooted a few times, and seemed
to remain black for worryingly long times. have faith and don't poke it.
Also worth pointing out is that your going to be sat for a while so maybe turn off the stop start option & sort your air con & lights and get comfy, a decent book helps as the system is not usable during this time.

after 30 mins it claimed to have worked and rebooted all happy.

next formatted the usb again and copied the map update

Usb root >
updateinfo.xml
[SWL] >[002315011505480030]

Again same story with the start engine, press nav button, poke in stick.
message comes up saying new map and update, and its ok, ok, ok.

this time it took about 45 minutes but did not dim or reboot at all.
after that a message saying it was successful = happy days.

during this 45 I had to deal with a delivery and used the other keys to lock the door which it did happily whilst running, so if you can't sit still you could always just lock it up and come back later.

my maps are now the latest v7 and i'm pleased to report the M74/M73/M8 is now correctly rendered.

One other point that may help is that i found the Peugeot Ireland map update service to be really slow at downloading, the french site Mettez à jour la cartographie de votre système de navigation was about ten times faster. The files are exactly the same.

what an absolutely beautiful car im smitten already...

Laldie

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
how long did it take to download the software update from the french site? I've got 2.45GB to download and it's taking ages! 47 minutes estimated.
I've got super fast BB at 200 + mbs and it's so slow.

Grumpy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Grumpy,
I'm on Virgin 100 cable and it took about 8mins for the software and 13mins for the maps, It was on saturday night about 10pm mind you.
Laldie

·
Registered
602 Posts
You don't need to format the USB flash drive every time you update the cartography and/or system. It needs to be in FAT32 format, but once you do it, you just need to delete the old update files and copy the new ones. I use the same USB flash drive to store some music and I never format it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I meant was the usb stick has to be in the fat format for the upgrade to take effect. If it already has been formatted to this format then obviously you don't need to do it again. Also if you have anything else on the stick, it will not work so as a matter of course you might as well format it anyway. I hope that is enough to understand.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also if you have anything else on the stick, it will not work so as a matter of course you might as well format it anyway. I hope that is enough to understand.
Actually I have found that this isn't correct. I have all the original map updates as TAR file on the USB, as well as the system update. I just delete the upd decompressed files from the USB when I do a new update. No problem.:thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm planning to update my mapping from v11 to v15, and reading Peugeot's instructions I was puzzled by their reference to a licence key, and creation of a folder for it on the intended USB stick, when no such key existed in the download. After reading the forum I now have a much clearer idea of the procedure and appreciate the efforts of the members who have tried to make instructions as fool (ie me) -proof as possible. Cheers guys!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm planning to update my mapping from v11 to v15, and reading Peugeot's instructions I was puzzled by their reference to a licence key, and creation of a folder for it on the intended USB stick, when no such key existed in the download. After reading the forum I now have a much clearer idea of the procedure and appreciate the efforts of the members who have tried to make instructions as fool (ie me) -proof as possible. Cheers guys!
The license is only required for the NAC software update, a separate button to click for it on the download options on Peugeots website will download it for you, its unique to your VIN and NAC update it seems, so any new one will be different to the old one you may have previously downloaded.

If it helps also, its unclear on the site/instructions/screenshots on the correct spelling of the folder it goes in ("Licence"/"LICENSE" etc), but digging into the MediaVersion.ini file in the firmware TAR file, the following details the location it is looking for it in is 'license' :

; Path to the license key or leave empty if not available.
; Path example: $(MEDIAROOT)/license/license_$(uin)_$(mediaVersion).key
LocalEncryptionKeyLocation="$(MEDIAROOT)/license/license_$(uin)_$(mediaVersion).key"

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's interesting because whenever I go to the UK Peugeot site, the only download option it's given me was for the mapping. I found a link on the forum and downloaded the latest NAC firmware and, like the mapping update, it was just a .TAR file. When extracted (7-zip) they both have an SWL folder and an Updateinfo.xml file. I probed the SWL folder and found the same info that you kindly posted, but there's no actual .key file anywhere in the download - so I guess there's not much point in making a "license" folder for it.

I'm reluctant to do the NAC update anyway so I may pester the dealer to do it - seeing as they didn't bother when j requested it as part of the PDI! I'll try the mapping update with just the SWL and updateinfo, though, when my 32gb USB stick arrives - I suspect the system would object to my 128gb drive.

·
Registered
925 Posts
FWIW - You dont need the LICENSE folder on the usb stick if you have Peugeot connect / SOS buttons fitted OR an active Tom Tom traffic subscription with your smart phone hot spot connected - the NAC will automatically download the required licence when you do the firmware update.

That's how I updated my NAC firmware the other week - mines a retrofit in place of a SMEG.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's interesting because whenever I go to the UK Peugeot site, the only download option it's given me was for the mapping.
Yes, its the same download page for both, but will dynamically show you what is available for your car. As with mine, it showed me both map and NAC updates, but they disappear once you have updated them, as with me I now only get shown the v15 MAP (I'm on v14) to download and that will nolonger be shown for me once I update to it, the NAC update 21.08 from October is no longer shown for me as it seems they pulled it (according to other posts), so I am still on 21.07 and will wait for a new version rather than install the 21.08.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mr Lee - thanks for that extra info; I do have those buttons fitted and TomTom Traffic was already sorted at collection (miracle of miracles). I'll have the hotspot ready on the phone just in case...

Veygrix - the car was built 11/09/19 and came with v21.07.67.32_NAC-r0 (14/05/19). No NAC update has yet been offered to me on Peugeot's website which is why I went and looked for links to the latest one. I only want it to stop the satnav from giving me a safety prompt whenever I try to use it!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Mine only gives the safety prompt the first time the satnav is used each time the engine has been restarted. For example if I give a voice command to cancel navigation and then later in the same journey a different voice navigation command the prompt doesn't appear providing the engine hasn't physically been turned off and restarted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't tried voice activation yet - this is from inputting a postcode and pressing "OK".

Sitting in the car now, engine running, start/stop off and USB stick in, updating (hopefully) the mapping. Looks like a long wait!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Whenever I update the maps I just normally leave a little earlier for work, set the update going ( start / stop disabled ) then once I arrive just wait for the maps to finish installing before switching off the engine.

You can use the car for a journey while the maps update - just allow the update to finish before switching the engine off.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Whenever I update the maps I just normally leave a little earlier for work, set the update going ( start / stop disabled ) then once I arrive just wait for the maps to finish installing before switching off the engine.

You can use the car for a journey while the maps update - just allow the update to finish before switching the engine off.
I always update my maps on the move as well, saves fuel and 40 minutes or so of unnecessary emissions :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Map update went without a hitch, so thanks to those who gave support! Now I'm more confident I'll do the next one on the move.

Think I will follow Veygrix's approach of caution and wait for the next NAC update to appear on Peugeot's page, rather than use the one I downloaded separately (v21.08.22.32) that is rumoured to have been pulled. Yes I'm a chicken, bwark bwark! 🐔

1 - 20 of 39 Posts