Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help... advice needed. Today I noticed a white patch near the aerial on roof - I assumed it was bird poo and got a cloth to clean it of. Shocked to discover it is RUST. Car is 6 years old. Attaching two photos - one where you can just see white path near aerial and second close up of the white and orange patch. Planning to pass by peugoet dealershi tomorrow but would like to go "informed". Don't want them fobbing me off because I am an old biddy:)
Can anyone suggest what might have caused this? It only became visible today .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Knowing car dealers, not just Peugeot, they'll pass it off as a stone chip gone rogue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is a stone chip that's spread, not a manufacturing defect imo.

The issue is that will have been building up for months and months, paint doesn't bubble like that overnight (unless it's exposed to chemicals or extreme heat).

It may have suddenly become visible from a distance when the lump of paint fell off, but I'd be very surprised if the bubbles weren't there last summer.

Dealer is very unlikely to do anything at all, paint warranty, which doesn't cover damage anyway, is 3 years (2 years on vans) and actual rust warranty (12/6 years) is against perforation (an actual hole), not surface blemishes.

By all means see what the dealer says, but my instinct on this says it'll be much quicker and less stress to grab a touch up paint pen and a sheet of sandpaper - if you didn't see the bubbling you won't notice a touch up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments. I agree it must have been "bubbling up" for some time but a stone chip on the roof? I think not. Sadly the area is a bit big for a touch up pen - probably 3" x 2" .

·
Registered
357 Posts
but a stone chip on the roof? I think not.

Why not? Do you have magic stones on your roads that are height restricted?

I have a stone chip right at the top of the windscreen on my wife's car. A high top transit I used to drive for work had stone chips all over the front of the roof (and bonnet, screen got replaced).

When a stone gets picked up and thrown by a tyre it's unaware of how high it goes.

Or it might have been a stone thrown by a strimmer while a contractor was cutting grass - that can take out a windscreen at 40+m so half a mm of paint won't challenge it...

Sadly the area is a bit big for a touch up pen - probably 3" x 2" .
A roll of tape, a newspaper and a rattle can then.

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
I had a stone chip in pretty much the exact same place on my Insignia. I don't know for sure if it is, although that would be my guess, but I would put money on the dealer saying it is. But it costs nothing to ask!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt that the Peugeot dealer will fix the rust spot under any kind of warranty. You could go to the bodyshop and get that thing sorted it can't cost much, or if you are cheap use the paint matching spray can. Yea paint is not that durable and stone chips are bi**hes. I went thru 7 older gen Peugeot partners (2003-2007), and now i have a 2016 one, and on every one of those I had to change the windshield due to the cracks that were caused by stonechips.:mad: Paint on partner is not as bad as on the 2nd and 3rd gen Peugeot Boxers (had 2004 Boxer). Paint on those peel away after a few years of use. In factory they didn't do a good prep before paint and the paint is thin, that's Fiat quality for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts