Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I searched for this problem and I could only find actual starting problems on the forum so if someone has already answered i apologise in advance.

I have a peugeot 307 HDI 1.6 (90bhp 2006) - On cold starts the engine is running really rough like spluttering and I get a bit of grey smoke from exhaust.

There is no power loss and actually starts fine every time, but as I said it runs really rough that is, until the engine warms up then its perfect.

Once started as long as I restart within an hour or so it will be fine but if i let engine completely cool down for a few hours the problems start again.

So far I have hooked up to Peugeot Planet and got the following error: Permanent Fault. Pre/Post heating relay circuit Relay controlled and spark plugs not supplied

So i brought a brand new Glow plug relay from Peugeot for £42 and installed but still no Joy.

Do i need to configure or clear anything via peugeot planet for it to recognise the new relay or should it now be working automatically?

Was thinking to try changing glow plugs next?
If this does not work im wondering what else I can try?

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Neil.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you're getting a P1351 error then it's most likely your glow plugs that are gone and not the relay.

I was getting P1351 and B1012 and both of these have cleared after the glow plugs were changed in my 307.

J

·
0 Posts
I'd would be surprising at this time of year if it was the glowplugs, as it isn't really cold, and they shouldn't be required until its practically freezing.

My 407 used to start and idle rough when cold, but was fine once warm. That turned out to be an injector. Worth having a look at your injectors too.... I know people say not to base too much on the PP readings for injector correction etc, but this clearly showed up that one of mine was quite a bit different than the others, and once cleaned/calibrated, its been ok since.... plus I now only use better quality fuel, but thats another can of worms :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
P1351 fault is only related to failed glow plugs. Your original relay will be perfect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Been there done that, replace the glow plugs.
If in doubt test them first by taking the wire off of each one, put a test meter on the negative batt terminal and the other on the glow plug terminal and read the resistance.
Any plug showing above 6 ohms replace.

All testing done with ignition off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your prompt responses I am going to check glow plugs and let you know what happens. I have got my mulitmeter ready to go :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 53 plate with 160,000 on clock. Recently suffering same problem.
Car starts fine and idles well at just under 1000 rpm. If I gently apply throttle it gets very lumpy and flutters from about 1100 revs to about 1800, with blue/ grey smoke. After a couple of minutes she runs sweetly with no problems at all. Have had glowplugs changed as two were showing signs of failure but the symptoms persist.

This seems to be happening during the current cold spell, could it be something to do with the automatic choke?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same issue on my old 307, departed to be stripped and rebuilt by a wannabe car dealer (rather him than me!)

I had a new relay done initially but did have to get the glow plugs done a few days later, it didn't solve my overall issues (head gasket) but it did solve the misfire. I was told to 'expect' to change my injectors soon by the garage but my Mum fell out with them a few days later when they were fleecing her for money (wanted to charge her £300 for a clutch cable on a Micra!!) but a mobile mechanic said injectors were fine.

Reg- my car was blowing blue smoke towards the end, as well as jumping revs (900-1200rpm), told it could be the turbo (assuming you have one) BUT I believe there are a few other causes of this besides that. You might be best starting a new thread for your problem so people can see and help you out on this issue

·
11,780 Posts
Have a 53 plate with 160,000 on clock. Recently suffering same problem.
Car starts fine and idles well at just under 1000 rpm. If I gently apply throttle it gets very lumpy and flutters from about 1100 revs to about 1800, with blue/ grey smoke. After a couple of minutes she runs sweetly with no problems at all. Have had glowplugs changed as two were showing signs of failure but the symptoms persist.

This seems to be happening during the current cold spell, could it be something to do with the automatic choke?
Could be a malfunctioning sensor, there have been a few threads similar to yours.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. As I am new to the forum this is the only thread I have seen relating to this problem. I have friends in the trade so will soon be getting them to look into this for me. Would appreciate any info on which particular sensor/sensors could be at fault. Also how do you find other threads which would be relevent to the problem?
Sods law states that the weather is about to get warmer so the problem will become less obvious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts