Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest, were any of you given any advice regarding running/bedding in the engine of your new 3008s, or is this just redundant for modern engines and/or cars that most people keep for an average of only three years?

I ask, because I just checked the owners manual of my current car (2015 Jeep Renegade) and it specifically mentions the following:

For the first 1,000 miles:
- Avoid exceeding 3,000 rpm
- Avoid changing gear too early
- Avoid maintaining a constant speed for long durations, varying regularly throughout your journey

I did none of the above. In fact, the day after I got it, I drove it to Italy using CC most of the way set at 130km/h. That might explain why it's returned disappointing mpg in the time I've had it.

I'm keen not to make the same "mistake" when my 3008 arrives, so any thoughts most welcome.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The jeep is basically a fiat xl. So you have to be ultra cautious that it doesn't just fall apart on its own. I wouldn't worry about the 3008. Just drive it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Greeny,

My first thought is .. Well what would one expect with a Jeep Renegade?? It's a Fiat!

I don't think Peugeots need to be "run in" these days. I think that as long as common sense prevails your shiny new Pug will be fine.

Grumpy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jeep is basically a fiat xl. So you have to be ultra cautious that it doesn't just fall apart on its own. I wouldn't worry about the 3008. Just drive it.
Thanks. Drive it I shall.

Yes, the Jeep is just a rebadged 500X. It's even made on the same production line, at the same time. It's served me relatively well, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first thought is .. Well what would one expect with a Jeep Renegade?? It's a Fiat!
That's all part of its charm ;)

Oh yes, I forgot the first point of the Jeep Renegade running-in advice: "For the first 1,000 miles, avoid driving."

I jest. It's served me alright, but being a diesel it's haemorrhaging value and I fancy a change. But I'm no brand snob. I got it because I liked how it looked, and would have got it regardless of the badge. After all, my first car, which I subsequently gave to the other half and was only disposed of late last year, was a Dacia - incredibly reliable, incredibly efficient, and when traded in had held on to 60% of its list price after 3.5 years!

To bring this back on topic - the Dacia came with no running in advice either, aside from to have it pulled by a pair of horses for the first six months.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I asked my dealer about it when I purchased my 3008. All my previous cars have had these warnings in the user manual - except the 3008.

My dealer said I could drive it like I stole it out of the box. However, I still drove my car like a priest the first 1000 km.

Also, keep in mind that you have to take care of the brakes and tyres the first couple of hundrer km.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also, keep in mind that you have to take care of the brakes and tyres the first couple of hundrer km.
Your comment for new tyres is very true.
And it applies for any new tyres.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The engine is complicated, normally running at a steady RPM promotes a polished cylinder liners etc which results in oil seal issues. It seems that the general trend is drive it normally, and even give it some grief but just don't constantly run it idling or ragged..

If a problem is going to occur you want to occur quickly .. so by diving normally and giving it a little spirited driving you should find any quickly.

Breaking softly, again, will result in polished pads - so every now and then give it a hard breaking to drive up the temperatures and grind off some pad.

What I would do though is switch off the start/stop and ensure the engine is full warmed up before 'giving it some welly' (drive spirited).

·
Registered
52 Posts
The time of soft running in belongs to the past in most cars. But it’s wise avoid driving in extreme conditions in first kms. My dealer told me no special precautions.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No advice given to me and I just drove normally from day one but that was not really any spirited driving.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is no need to nurse the engine,just drive normally,don't over rev the engine,and most important don't labour the engine,,just drop drop it down a cog when require.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no need to nurse the engine,just drive normally,don't over rev the engine,and most important don't labour the engine,,just drop drop it down a cog when require.
Thanks. I've ordered the 1.6 THP, so I guess that will be taken care of for me, provided I'm light-footed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts