Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to run diagbox from a disc

i installed it start of this year but since then my laptops been a nightmare. its slow and unresponsive.

i only brought diagbox to do newer cars for members but most i manage to do on planet with my other laptop

is this a viable option i use the laptop everyday and only done 1 car that planet couldnt read

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If you try to install diagbox to an external drive it will more than likely overwrite you Planet on the c: drive.

I partitioned my hard drive to dual boot - one windows xp running PP2000 with the other windows xp running diagbox. Booted to the partition I wanted diagbox installed to which was d: drive but diagbox installed onto the c: partition overwriting my PP2000

There wasn't an option to choose where to install to with my copy so guess it is hard coded to install to the c: drive

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have 2 laptops so not a problem with it deleting itself

would a memory stick run diagbox ok. dont mind buying one as i hardly use it but want it for members on her. over time i will get newer and newer cars

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would think the memory stick Idea could work How big a memory stick can you buy these days I have a few SSD drives that are a bit small for a win 8 install and those are pretty similar to memory sticks in the way they operate

If your Laptop Bios has an option to boot from a memory stick give it a try

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i have 2 laptops so not a problem with it deleting itself

would a memory stick run diagbox ok. dont mind buying one as i hardly use it but want it for members on her. over time i will get newer and newer cars
Are you attempting to just install DiagBox to USB, or to boot a whole new copy of XP from the USB stick? Either way I think may be tricky.

Getting XP installed on a USB stick is fiddly work, XP turns all USB ports off and on while booting to check connected devices, you need to change some boot files to make this possible.

When I recently installed DiagBox, I do not recall having a choice of where to install it. I believe it just went to its default location.

If it helps, I have windows 7 64 bit. I have used 2 XP virtual machines on my laptop. One runs PP2000 and the other runs Diagbox. It is much more convenient to have one laptop that you can switch between both pieces of software. I was planning on writing a guide on how to do this at some point.

·
11,818 Posts
The best way is to partition your internal hard drive, maybe use an SSD drive for that speed boost. I wouldn't recommend any other way.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The best way is to partition your internal hard drive, maybe use an SSD drive for that speed boost. I wouldn't recommend any other way.
SSD is a good idea for speeding up any PC. I don't use anything else these days, I get frustrated when I have to wait for a computer. They should be waiting for me :)

Even with the partitioning, I do not recall seeing a screen where you can select to install PP2000 or Diagbox to another Volume (ie D: instead of C: ) But perhaps I skipped past in my haste.

Gibbo, Thanks for adding me to the map, happy to help where I can :thumb:

·
11,818 Posts
Even with the partitioning, I do not recall seeing a screen where you can select to install PP2000 or Diagbox to another Volume (ie D: instead of C: ) But perhaps I skipped past in my haste.
You'll need to install two instances of Windows, one on each partition. Then when you boot up the laptop you choose

Windows - Diagbox
Windows - Planet

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You'll need to install two instances of Windows, one on each partition. Then when you boot up the laptop you choose

Windows - Diagbox
Windows - Planet
Yeah that will work, not sure it will help with the speed. I have Windows 7 x64 on my laptop, and I run 2 XP virtual machines. One for PP2000 and one for Diagbox.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

Windows - Diagbox
Windows - Planet
That's exactly what I did but the second windows install recognised the first install and set the second partition as drive d. When I installed Diagbox on this second partition on drive d it automatically installed diagbox to drive c overwriting my PP2000 install.

The only way I could see this working is after installing the second windows, but before installing diagbox go into Device Manager / Disk Drives and disable the C partition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts