Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
My 407 2.0 HDI SW SE is in trouble again !
On a dual carriage way powering past traffic through the gears , at 70 and changing from 5th to 6th gear and the engine revs shot up and belched white smoke from the exhaust . I toe'd under the accelerator pedal thinking it had stuck down , but it hadn't . In neutral pulled over with the revs still high and white smoke still pouring out and turned off the ignition . Engine still running in high revs mode . Rapidly evacuated the car and remained at a safe distance . White smoke stopped all traffic !
The engine revved liked this for maybe 45 seconds before revs dropped and then revved up again before dying down and engine stopped . I checked oil and water temperature , all ok except water temp a little higher than normal . No events showing on engine diagnostics . After half hour on instructions of my engineer turned over engine . Fast turnover but no engine start .
Towed to garage !
Engine started by garage running on two cylinders only 1 & 2
Mini diagnostic tool gave three fault numbers
1588 throttle control unit detected loss of return spring
1435 additive adding system . Faults additive accuracy
1195 SCP HBCC failed to initialise .
Background .
This car had a fuel additive problem earlier this year and the additive resevoir was refilled .
The engine oil dipstick had showed an overfill of oil .
A forced filter regeneration was not carried out after refill but the car has done afew 150 mile journeys .

Interesting ! Anyone got any ideas on what happened ?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi ,
My 407 2.0 HDI SW SE is in trouble again !
On a dual carriage way powering past traffic through the gears , at 70 and changing from 5th to 6th gear and the engine revs shot up and belched white smoke from the exhaust . I toe'd under the accelerator pedal thinking it had stuck down , but it hadn't . In neutral pulled over with the revs still high and white smoke still pouring out and turned off the ignition . Engine still running in high revs mode . Rapidly evacuated the car and remained at a safe distance . White smoke stopped all traffic !
The engine revved liked this for maybe 45 seconds before revs dropped and then revved up again before dying down and engine stopped . I checked oil and water temperature , all ok except water temp a little higher than normal . No events showing on engine diagnostics . After half hour on instructions of my engineer turned over engine . Fast turnover but no engine start .
Towed to garage !
Engine started by garage running on two cylinders only 1 & 2
Mini diagnostic tool gave three fault numbers
1588 throttle control unit detected loss of return spring
1435 additive adding system . Faults additive accuracy
1195 SCP HBCC failed to initialise .
Background .
This car had a fuel additive problem earlier this year and the additive resevoir was refilled .
The engine oil dipstick had showed an overfill of oil .
A forced filter regeneration was not carried out after refill but the car has done afew 150 mile journeys .

Interesting ! Anyone got any ideas on what happened ?
that sound like turbo runaway when the engine runs on its own oil until it runs out and at that point stops, but you said oil is ok so it cant be that, I would double check engine oil as white smoke is burning engine oil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trustme ,
Engine oil level showing above filled line .
Planet diagnostics will happen today or tomorrow ( I have the kit )
Some other online site suggested that additive fault can lead to diesel getting into sump and high revs led to pick up from sump ! Not sure if I understand how ?
I will check oil today for presence of diesel .
Will update .

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Thanks Trustme ,
Engine oil level showing above filled line .
Planet diagnostics will happen today or tomorrow ( I have the kit )
Some other online site suggested that additive fault can lead to diesel getting into sump and high revs led to pick up from sump ! Not sure if I understand how ?
I will check oil today for presence of diesel .
Will update .
what can happen is when the car does a regen it injects diesel into the engine on the exhaust stroke this can then get past the piston seals into the sump and if your oil level was too full then this could have gone down the breather pipe into the engine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a faulty oil seal on intercooler cause black drip from parked car ? Never excessive but marking road surface with a black mark 3" dia ?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Your description is diesel runaway most likely due to oil leaking past turbo seals what you should have done was keep it in a high gear and brake to slow the engine safely rather than let it rev its nuts off !!

Even if your turbo was not stuffed it probably is now

No need for planet diagnostic this was a mechanical problem not electronic

You will have many faults stored BECAUSE of the fault but none will be the cause.

The drip could be oil building up in intercooler pipework and when you gunned it the airflow was high enough to draw the oil through to the inlet this in turn caused the engine to rev itself which then draws more oil from engine keeping it running.

try you tube videos of diesel runnaway

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Surprised the Engine did not Seize up Its what usually happens with a runaway ,, making the Engine Stall is the only way to stop ,I think you are in for a big Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts