Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never had a diesel before, so need advice, i have a 407 which has a sort of rumbling grinding sound, starts at 1 and a half revs to about 3000 revs through each gear, as i said never had a diesel, only been in vans, so i expected car not to be as quite as petrol version, any advice please

·
Registered
70 Posts
Only drove 407 diesel briefly, but familiar with other diesels. Noise and torque profile are different but I wouldn't expect rumbling or grinding, even with the simpler diesels 20 years ago, let alone the modern ones.

Do you think this noise occurs under significant (not necessarily hard) acceleration? Put another way, if you are driving at say 40/50 mph 5th gear, does this noise come and go depending on whether you are accelerating? A noise that gets provoked by accelerating then immediately disappears when you ease off might be a transmission fault, not engine. (Have to say I've only had this twice in 28 years so I think it unlikely but worth ruling out.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a\thanks for reply, i think it soulds more like transmission fault, from what you described, as the car is still under 3 months warrentry i think we will have to take it back, we have already had the fly wheel and clutch done as it was making a noise, which the garage where we bought it said could be belts, but replaced belts and pullys but didnt work, so they done fly wheel, and the clutch,also noticed this happens below and just over 2000 revs, through each gear. And a slight vibration through passenger feet well, and occasionally vibration on clutch pedal, but at a steady speed 60 - 70 on motorway cant hear the noise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since you're not going to pay out, lets look at the more costly possibilities. Loose/ worn gears and bearings behave normally when coasting or under lighter pressure but scream, grind, rumble, etc as you accelerate. The 2 cases I referred to were 1 transfer gears 2 gearbox. In the latter case it was potentially dangerous as a broken gearbox can jam. Hope you get on OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that advice, my other half thought it might be something to do with the gearbox, when i took the car in last week they said they replaced the flywheel and the clutch, but im not so sure about that as when the garage where we purchased the car rang them they said oh it sounds like the flywheel, they are only getting one more chance to fix this, if it still makes the noise it is going into peugeot for an inspection which i shall tell them when i take the car in tomorro morning, one thing as you seem to be so knowlegable, is a clutch replacement an engine out job, i think they are telling porkeys, as we noticed there was new engine mountings fixed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've not changed a clutch on these and don't have a manual but I'm 99.9% certain it is. Yonks ago I had a vauxhall with a removable plate to allow a clutch change without engine removal but I think thats unusual. The parts diagram for yours shows a clutch that's inaccessible with the engine in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.