Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56 plate 407 Diesel.

This seems to have been building for a while, I did think that it was the front drivers side wheel arch splash guide vibrating but have replaced that and it makes no difference.

There is no felt vibration just the noise. It makes no difference turning left or right. Load / Noload, in or out of gear all have no effect. This is solely related to road speed. It used to be only really noticeable at 50-53 mph, now it builds from 30 up to 60 and is less above this.

My guess is that is is coming from Drivers side front, might possibly be rear though - noise is so resonant it is seems to sound like it comes from a different place depending on where you are in the car.

D/S front wheel bearing plus pads and discs where replaced a year ago.

The engine/ gearbox mounts might be loose/ broken? - there is sometimes a small clunk felt through the the gear stick when accelerating.

Have read that if the gearbox mounts shift then they strain the inboard CV joint, but I have also read lots of different things that can cause these sort of noises.

I won't be doing the work myself but am keen to diagnose it properly to stop parts being changed randomly so can have a poke about if anyone has any ideas of what to look for?

· Registered
161 Posts
If there are any missing it's worth replacing all of them.
Easy to do as the clip part will hook out with a screwdriver.
You should get a complete set (13 screws,13 clips) from your Peugeot dealer for under £10.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a play today,

Jacked up passenger side wheel and ran it up to 40mph ( well equivalent anyway) - quiet

Jacked up driver side and ran it ,immediate familiar humming noise- so it I am guessing driveshaft? Could be wheel bearing but that has been changed and steering L or R makes no difference.

Any ideas where to get a less expensive one- not looking for secondhand but Peugeot are going to be too dear.

Also looks like it need an oil seal into the diff. Have read that gearbox mounts can cause this, any way to see if they are shot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.