Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since i bought the car i always thought the road noise over certain road surfaces was excessive.

Car came with advisarys (as some of you hav eread from previous threads) stating bush deteration in the lower wishbones and the rear suspension arms but not resulting in excessive play.

I had local garage look at it, they asked who MOT'd it and thought they were a bit over the top. said they were fine.

I had a look at the back, and apart from being discoloured, they wernt distorted cracked or damaged in any way that could be seen from looking at it.

anyway the track rods and tie rods were replaced and had tracking done, after that road noise over the rougher motorway surfaces seemed to be alot louder but thought that was due to correct wheel aligment and tyres having to bed in due to different alignment.

ignored it for a while.

on the newly laid road surfaces that are supper smooth all good just the older surfaces that have stones sticking up that give lots of road noise.

a month later its getting louder, and now theres a definate grumble.

after much much reasearch, ive come to conclusion its a wheel bearing and from reading lots of posts wheel bearing issues on these cars are not obvious.

Its just now clicked that its weird how it all of a sudden started straight after i got the tracking down with track rods and tie rods done. ive thought the road noise was quite loud when i first got the car but after that it was noticably much louder.

Im thinking i should just get the wheel hubs replaced rather than have new bearings fitted, possibly actually tackle it myself.

ive seen lucas wheel hub with bearing for £40 of eurocar parts which is quite reasonable considering snr wheel bearing kit is almost £50

And while im at it i could replace the front discs while im at it,

unless the lucas wheel hubgs with bearings are junk then id just go with another better part

·
Registered
599 Posts
Replying because mine makes a similar grumble when turning (maybe roundabout, sharp turns) and rought terrain!

Just interested, sorry i don't have much to add :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just did mine. Was the damnest thing, the faulty bearing sound was obvious but I could not feel or hear anything when I jacked it up and checked.

Nice easy diy job, as long as you have a press available.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Road noise can be due to your tyres as well, winter tread pattern treads will be noisy, and the noise will vary according to the road surface. Typically wheel bearing noise sounds like a low flying small aircraft nearby, and varies with speed, is this what you're getting?.

Roger.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Road noise can be due to your tyres as well, winter tread pattern treads will be noisy, and the noise will vary according to the road surface. Typically wheel bearing noise sounds like a low flying small aircraft nearby, and varies with speed, is this what you're getting?.

Roger.
Yeah id agree i expect some road noise from the rougher surfaces however its damn loud on everything except the new super smooth roads.

and it started after i had the track rod ends and tie rods replaced + tracking seemed to quieten down and is now gettign louder.

Ive also been hearing grumbling and at motorway speeds i think im starting to here a tone that varies with speed which is why i suspect a wheel bearing.

The back has just had the discs replaced which includes wheel bearings so they are good now.

front tyres are michelin (not sure which type just asked for michelin) back are arrow speed (which was on the car when i got it but still plenty of tread)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did mine. Was the damnest thing, the faulty bearing sound was obvious but I could not feel or hear anything when I jacked it up and checked.

Nice easy diy job, as long as you have a press available.
If i was doing it myself i was planning on just doing wheel hub rather than only bearing - much easier than pressing out and in a new bearing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I had my Volvo 850 it was well known between Volvo owners that you could have a worn wheel bearing that didn't have any play when jacked up and rocked,but when the bearing was replaced,the rumble went.

Also check your tyres as a worn tyre can cause a noise very similar to a knackered wheeel bearing! :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I had my Volvo 850 it was well known between Volvo owners that you could have a worn wheel bearing that didn't have any play when jacked up and rocked,but when the bearing was replaced,the rumble went.

Also check your tyres as a worn tyre can cause a noise very similar to a knackered wheeel bearing! :)
Tyres are new 5000 miles ago.

im going with wheel bearings, the back got done (wether or not it needed it as the discs include hub/bearing) so might aswwell get the front done.

Depending no how much it costs might just get the discs replaced aswell but we will see

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I easy is it to get the front hubs off?

I know you need a large breaker bar to remove the front axle nuts if not using an impact gun. Once that nut is of is the hub on tight?

I seen a youtube showing how to do the rear hub on a 406 and they used a tool to pull the hub of then using the breaker bar with the socket they used to take the hub not off to hammer the hub back on, like the bearing was a really snug fit to the axle.

Edit.

may have found where atleast some of the rumbling is coming from.

Checked the spare tyre, its loose and seems to have an attempt at securing it with a bungee rope thats god knows how many years old. looks like it may snap.

edit;

tightened up the bolt in the boot but the wheel still able to woble. Im sure thats that the noise is at the back.

Not the front though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had another look under the car to see if i could see anything else that could be causing noises.

My rear wheel has a bunge cord going from the somewhere over the centre of the wheel to the back of the car, its about to snap.

Also on the front, i noticed that the wheel arch liners are pretty loose and at full lock is touching the wishbone, theres a clear patch on the wishbone where its been rubbing against the wheel arch liner.

why are they so loose? The plastic things that hold them in place at the bottom are missing. Only been held in by the 2 top ones. WTF

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I had another look under the car to see if i could see anything else that could be causing noises.

My rear wheel has a bunge cord going from the somewhere over the centre of the wheel to the back of the car, its about to snap.

Also on the front, i noticed that the wheel arch liners are pretty loose and at full lock is touching the wishbone, theres a clear patch on the wishbone where its been rubbing against the wheel arch liner.

why are they so loose? The plastic things that hold them in place at the bottom are missing. Only been held in by the 2 top ones. WTF
The plastic retainers are dirt cheap at your nearest dealer. It might help and certainly will do no harm to replace the missing ones.

Roger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts