Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

It seems that my attempt to fix my RT4 with a compact flash card instead of the normal HDD has caused a bit of interest so I thought I would summarise how I performed the upgrade. There were a few gotchas that I discovered on the way and I will try to include these.

I don't know how to post more than one photo at a time so I will have to attach the pictures of the hardware at the end of this and in a subsequent post.

Although I am happy to answer any questions I am far from an expert and all work is done at your own risk. Here we go...

For a few months my RT4 has been playing up. It would fail to boot up - especially on a cold morning. After a few minutes of running and multiple resets it would spring to life. I tried a new battery and tested the alternator but nothing worked. After a bit of rooting around I was finally hoping it was the HDD failing.

I bought an adapter from eBay which converts a compact flash card to an IDE hard drive. Following tips from an Australian forum I ensured that it was a full 44 pin adapter with master/slave jumper. Cost me £1.95 including postage from a seller called enanopro.

I bought a 32Gb compact flash card from Maplin for £39.95. The brand is that very well known make iFlash...

I then managed to get my system to start up and upgraded to V8.31 of the firmware on the old disc. I downloaded the image from GPS underground and burnt it on to a Verbatim CD at 24x. Although people recommend you do it slower. The reasons for the upgrade was important to me become clear later on.

I removed the head unit using a torx end shaped Allen key. And carefully removed the BSI plug from the back. Carefully tilting the unit forwards slightly and resting it on the gear knob allowed me to undo the 4 more torx shaped screws on the top. This then allows access to the CD drive which you can very carefully lift off and get to the HDD.

Carefully using a small screwdriver I loosened the plastic clips which hold the hard drive in place and by holding the ribbon cable with the same screwdriver I could gently wobble the hard drive free. If the cable pops out then use a blunt implement to re seat it later on.

I set the IDE jumper to slave on the CF adapter, and bent the pins out of the way too as they can short out on the bottom of the CD drive and turn it back into a master drive or even worse destroy the card or caddy. Fit the CF card and carefully reassemble the player but do not replace the screws as you will need to remove the CF card later. I put a couple of sticky rubber pads in a couple of places just to help stop it bouncing around.

Replace the BSI plug and start the ignition. A message came up saying Insert Upgrade CD. I did this and the system spent about 40 minutes doing the upgrade.

When it finally finished it booted up but in a limited mode. There was no GPS or climate control available on the car, the reversing warning was very quiet and the jukebox didn't work.

To fix this I unplugged the BSI again and removed the CF card and placed it in a USB reader connected to a computer. Also connected to the computer was the old hard drive removed earlier. I have a friend who is a geek so we removed the laptop hard drive and fitted the car one. We then booted a version of Linux from a CD which allowed us access to the data on the discs. It took a few attempts to get the failed drive to boot up (a good sign as it confirmed my suspicions that it was the faulty part). I guess that I could have bought a USB to IDE cable and done it via any PC but where would the fun be in that!

Once it had booted we copied everything from the old disk to the new one. There are four partitions of various sizes and it was just a straight copy from one to the other. This took a few hours as my card reader was USB 1.1 and not the fastest.

Once I had refitted the CF card the system sprang into life immediately with version 8.31 software and all of my maps and music still intact. It now runs like a dream and I have successfully updated the UK map from gpsunderground. By having the latest firmware on the failing hard drive it enabled me to copy across all of the configuration data which seem to be model specific.

I have now taken a back up copy of the four partitions on the CF card to my desktop computer. This will allow me to restore in case the CF card should fail in the future. They are just stored as files in the folders. It would appear that disc imaging software is not required as the upgrade CD will partition the drive correctly and you then just need to replace the files on there with your own from the backup folders.

Now reassembled and carefully replaced in the dash it has been working well now for a few days. I have updated the maps and copied music to the jukebox all without any problems. And due to the nature of the original fault I am sure that I have fixed it and there is no reason why it shouldn't continue to work.

Catching it before it fails totally was the thing which has enabled me to perform the upgrade with comparative ease. Had I not had the configuration data from the old drive I think it may well have been a whole lot harder to proceed.

As I said before I am no expert but if you do have questions please do get in touch and I will see what I can do.

Now I just need to find a USB cable for that final upgrade...

James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And here is the package for the CF card. I suspect (but don't quite me on this) that any 32Gb card should work and it is the adapter which is the important bit. But as they are 40 quid a pop I don't have the money to try other makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why they wouldn't work. I went down the CF route as I believe that the interface on CF cards is pretty much native IDE anyway so there was one less link in the chain to break.

I may have a go at SD if I ever get CF problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This should be a sticky. Nice job!

I think this is a good preventative measure as well - and something I will do before anything starts failing!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi,

Looks like I'm going to be doing this since last night my RT4 didn't boot.
Screen was lit but black, although music would play from the jukebox.

So the process is:

1. Upgrade the system.

2. Replace the HD in the RT4 with the CF adapter and card.

3. Boot the RT4 and use the upgrade CD from (1) to install. This step creates the correct partitions on the CF card.

4. Copy everything from the old HD to your computer. It is sufficient to save the files and folders rather than use a disc image.

5. Remove the CF card from the RT4 and attach it to your computer. Copy the files from the old HD onto the CF card. Do this for all partitions, overwriting the files that were installed by (3).

6. Put the CF card back into the RT4 and find that it works!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rwb,

You seem to have summarised my post well. The steps you list are what worked for me. If you get stuck PM me and I will see if we can work it out.

James

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ta.
Just trying to get everything clear in my mind as I hate surprises.

SD is very tempting but I've decided to go with compact flash because I've had bad experiences with SD, and as you say CF is IDE so the adapter is passive.

It looks like the partitions are:
2GB + 12GB + 1GB + 10GB
so a 32GB card is the smallest possible.

My guess is that you have to use the RT4 to partition the disc so that it sets up the correct MBR (or whatever it does for bootstrapping).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a 32 gig as I had read that people tried bigger with unsuccessful results.

It is possible to format and partition the drive yourself but the system will do it for you with much less stress and chance of failure.

I now keep a backup of the four drives on my desktop so that I can create a new drive should my CF card fail. That way I can hopefully bypass several steps and be back running a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Started this today. Got 8.31 installed on the car, then swapped in the CF and installed 8.31 on that (took about an hour).

When the system boots from the newly installed CF the radio is beeping (needs coding to the car), the sat nav displays latitude and longitude but no maps (which is sensible because the maps are on separate discs), the climate control page doesn't display, and the speedo is in km instead of miles.

So I took the HD in to plug into the laptop, but it wouldn't work. Sounds like it isn't spinning up. Worried I'd bust it I went and put it back in the car and normal service was resumed, so maybe it's something about not getting enough power through USB.

Anyway, having calmed down I got thinking: on the fresh install on the CF card the radio and miles/km clearly need to be configured (presumably with PP2k). What if the climate thing is also just a case of configuring it with PP2k?
It would make sense to install everything then configure it to the car.

I think my nerves are shot for today.
I think the next step is to put the CF back in and get PP2k on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The symptoms you had with the display sound like exactly the same symptoms I had prior to copying the partitions across.

Sounds like you just need to find a hard disk cable which will work with your USB. Might be worth plugging it into a powered USB hub if you have one as some USB ports will not produce as much power as others.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm using a laptop hard drive usb thing. The CF works fine in it, but the hard disc doesn't.

Anyway, been out and put the CF back in with the intention of installing maps from CD and configuring it with PP2k, but system won't boot :mad: The splash screen appears and the CD drive spins, then it resets and does it again. Inserting the software CD didn't change this behaviour. Mercifully, the system works with the hard drive replaced.

Attached screenshot: where you configure the climate control. Options are none, single, and dual zone.

Therefore I'm convinced (but can't prove :mad: ) that you can get a complete working system using the software CD, a map CD, and pp2k. I.e., you don't need a working system (to copy stuff from) in order to make a new system.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Can I get somehow your image files of hdd?
because my navigation is jammed right now, wont boot up and keep reseting after update 8.31 software.

I don´t know what to do know.

I took out the hdd connected to pc and it is working, but when I put in to my rt4 and turn it on it keeps spinning cd and black screen only and after few seconds it´s resetting and doing the same.

can anyone tell me what to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, Ok

I have peugeot 407 2007 coupe with RT4, there was software version 7.01 before,
I have downloaded 8.31 from GPS underground, and burned it on to cd with 4x speed
I have started the engine put the cd it downloaded finished the installation and later restarted, and it was only shining black screen and cd spinning and after few seconds it´s restarting and it´s doing the same all the time. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

I took out the hdd from RT4 and made some backups (with 8.31 not starting). I will try to clean all partitions and put back to my RT4, maybe it will work.

Maybe someone has made some backups from their working RT4 hdd? and can share it with me?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts