Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
I have a 307 cc 2007.
I have an aftermarket 2 din unit with 6,5 inch screen and the rd4 monochrome display working. I have removed the rd4 unit.

I have recently bought an Rt3 color from ebay both unit and color screen and all cables.

I want to replace my monochrome peugeot screen with the Rt3 color display and both keep my aftermarket 2 din and have the color screen of RT3.
Will the Rt3 color screen work in the abscence of the RT3 unit ?
I am asking because the monochrome rd4 peugeot screen is still working inspite the fact that i have removed the RD4 unit.

Please if anyone knows , inform me of this matter.

If the answer is no, then i have thought of something else as well.

What about keeping my aftermarket 2 din unit in the panel and putting the RT3 unit in the storage locker near the co-driver seat.
This would enable the Rt3 color screen working and I could keep my aftermarket 2 din.

Please tell me your thoughts on this matter.
Thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
the RT3 screen uses a short fibre optic cable from the RT3 head unit and are a matched pair, both rely on the vehicles BUS system and have to be VIN coded to match your vehicle otherwise you will get an annoying beeping over the speakers, you will not be able to put the RT3 screen on your aftermarket unit

you need to know what vehicle the RT3 was removed from as it may not be compatable with your car, peugeot used 2 different BUS systems on their cars, a VAN BUS and a CAN BUS, and RT3 units were used on both, but you cant use a VAN RT3 on a can system and visa versa

you have to have ABS on your car for the sat nav to work and the unit has to be connected to the BUS system, the BUS system illuminates all warnings etc on the screen via the RT3, as well as allowing you to use the steering stalk to control your RT3 and other things, voice commands wont be active as you wont have the correct indicator stalk

any more info you need just ask, but i wouldsuggest either stay with the aftermarket or go with the RT3, but wouldnt try to use both

your aftermarket radio must be using an adaptor to do the warnings etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your answer.

My car is Full can and the rt3 i bought is also full can , no problem here.

The monochrome Rd4 screen must take the warning information directly from the Can Bus because whatever 2 din unit i put , it still keeps showing the warnings.
(I have removed Rd4 cd player so apparently the warnings temperature, date etc. are not shown via the rd4 unit)

Now, I want to put the Rt3 color screen for the color warnings only. I do not care about gps or telephone, because my aftermarket unit has that.

So my question is: If i just replace the monochrome rd4 screen with the color Rt3 screen and do not install the Rt3 cd player, will the Rt3 screen work and show the warnings ?

( and also will a reprogramming of the bsi be required to show color warnings on the rt3 screen ? )

I mean not at all using the fibre optic cable.

.And if that does not work could not I just install the rt3 unit cd player in the storage locker of the car and keep connected via the optic cable to the Rt3 screen ? That way I could keep the aftermarket.

Thank you so much for your help. Please i fyou do not understand something ask me to clarify

·
Registered
77 Posts
the rt3 screen will not work without the rt3 head unit, they must be connected together, the screen swithches on and gets its power and can information through the head unit, even when the power button of the head unit is off

the rd4 screen gets its information direct from the can

by disconnecting your RD4 and connecting an aftermarket unit you must have lost some controlability of the computer

what adapter did you use to connect the original wiring loom to your aftermarket unit, because even the RD4 screen gets power from the RD4 head unit

to use both head units and hide the RT3 away should be possible, but you will need to make up some wiring connections, but the fibre optic cable will not let you go too far away with the head unit as it is only short

if you do not intend using the rt3 head unit for anything other than the warnings then you will not need to have the BSI programmed

hope this helps, all the wiring information is in the powerpoint program i sent you, just ask if you need any more information

ps, the rt3 head unit is a very good unit and sounds good on aftermarket or the peugeot JBL speakers, i would recomend keeping the rt3 and not the aftermarket unit ( thats just my opinion though )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your answer. You have been most helpful about this matter.

By disconnecting the RD4 and connecting an aftermarket unit, I indeed have lost some controlability of the computer, but all the warnings and the trip computer still work fine, so I had no problem with it.

To connect the aftermarket, I just used a standard adapter to convert the can of the peugeot to standard iso to connect the aftermarket. ( Sorry, i do not know if I am describing it correctly.) So I did not use any special adapter.

I have removed the RD4 completely and the Monochrome screen still works fine.
The only thing I lost was the menu button on the RD4.

The short length of the fibre optic cable was what I was afraid in the first place.
Does the fibre cable have enough length to go into the storage locker of the car ? (I have not seen the cable until now, that is why I ask you)

If no ,do you think there is a way I could extend its length ?

Lastly, without the bsi reprogramming (because i do not know if peugeot in my county will be able to do the reprogramming for me), would I be able to control options such as follow me home lights etc ?

Thank you my friend.
Your help is very valuable to me

·
Registered
77 Posts
the fibre optic cable is definately too short to reach the storage locker, you may be able to find an electronics company that could lengthen it for you

you do not need to re-program the bsi if you are only using the rt3 unit to control the screen, and you would get full computer control back

without re-programing the bsi, the rt3 works perfectly in every way, but it just makes bleeping noises over the speakers, but you wont have the speakers connected or the rt3 turned on

you will need to get another standard adapter and modify it, so as joining the 2 adaptors together to get the power etc to and from both the rt3 and the aftermarket unit

good luck and tell me how you get on, feel free to ask if you need more information

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you my friend,

I found a person who can offer me a one metre optic fibre cable so that problem seems to be solved.

P.s A question :
What is the fan unit used for ?
Thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont think you will need it if you are only using it for the warnings
it normally clips in the dashboeard about 30mm above the rt3

rt3 will only get hot when using the phone or sat nav

1 - 12 of 12 Posts