Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone may have any ideas about a problem I'm having with my 2002 307 HDi 1997 1.6.

A couple of weeks ago, the car started rough idling, not much at first but then began to stall at lights and whenever the revs dropped below 1000rpm. I'd read somewhere it may be the fuel filter so I changed that (we're not too regular on our services to be honest, oil, water etc.. are fine though) and the problem remained. A non-peugeot mechanic linked it up to a computer and it was throwing out MAF sensor faults, so he replaced it for us. At the time, just to make sure it wasn't a fuel problem, he checked the fuel pressure and pumps and it was all ok. About 120 miles later exactly the same problem came back, so back off to the mechanic who replaced the MAF sensor and air filter (no extra charge), cleared the faults and did some other work for us that needed doing. Again, the car was fine for about 120 miles and the problem returned.

I've worked out that if I unplug the MAF sensor and turn the engine on, leave it running for a bit and then turn it off and plug the sensor back in, the problem goes away for a short while. Also, I thought maybe the fault codes hadn't cleared properly so left the battery disconnected for about 4 hours and got a clean 40 miles out of it before the problem returned.

We're getting no other problems and as far as I'm aware, no other fault codes coming up (none the mechanic mentioned and none on the dash). When the car is rough idling though, I can hear a bit of a squeak linked to the surge in revs the engine is making to keep going.

We're at the end of our tether to be honest and our next port of call will likely be a Peugeot dealership. However, I was hoping that someone on here may have an idea as to what is going on and I may be able to avoid the extra expense. Any help at all will be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

P

·
0 Posts
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone may have any ideas about a problem I'm having with my 2002 307 HDi 1997 1.6.

A couple of weeks ago, the car started rough idling, not much at first but then began to stall at lights and whenever the revs dropped below 1000rpm. I'd read somewhere it may be the fuel filter so I changed that (we're not too regular on our services to be honest, oil, water etc.. are fine though) and the problem remained. A non-peugeot mechanic linked it up to a computer and it was throwing out MAF sensor faults, so he replaced it for us. At the time, just to make sure it wasn't a fuel problem, he checked the fuel pressure and pumps and it was all ok. About 120 miles later exactly the same problem came back, so back off to the mechanic who replaced the MAF sensor and air filter (no extra charge), cleared the faults and did some other work for us that needed doing. Again, the car was fine for about 120 miles and the problem returned.

I've worked out that if I unplug the MAF sensor and turn the engine on, leave it running for a bit and then turn it off and plug the sensor back in, the problem goes away for a short while. Also, I thought maybe the fault codes hadn't cleared properly so left the battery disconnected for about 4 hours and got a clean 40 miles out of it before the problem returned.

We're getting no other problems and as far as I'm aware, no other fault codes coming up (none the mechanic mentioned and none on the dash). When the car is rough idling though, I can hear a bit of a squeak linked to the surge in revs the engine is making to keep going.

We're at the end of our tether to be honest and our next port of call will likely be a Peugeot dealership. However, I was hoping that someone on here may have an idea as to what is going on and I may be able to avoid the extra expense. Any help at all will be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Don't take this as me slagging your mechanic off but here we go. Was he using a good diagnostic kit and not a cheapo one? Many times the cheapo ones fail to diagnose the problem correctly and send people down wrong road.

You say not to regular on servicing, when was the last time you changed all filters and did an oil change? Little stuff like this on a regular basis will stop problems coming up and will help your car run smoother. When i bought my 307 in feb, felt iffy. However, after an oil change and replacing every filter possible, the car seemed to get loads of power back and ran better.

If possible, find someone with planet close to you. Most will do you a proper diagnostic for cheap (or beer tokens) and we would be able to help you better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the replies. Servicing is number one on the list to do then and then onto a planet system. No offence taken whatsoever concerning the check the mechanic did, its likely it wasn't a Planet system but I hadn't realised there was a difference between systems.

There's a dealership locally and I may give them a shout to see if they can throw a planet check into a servicing and get it all done at once.

Thanks again

Dave

P

·
0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the replies. Servicing is number one on the list to do then and then onto a planet system. No offence taken whatsoever concerning the check the mechanic did, its likely it wasn't a Planet system but I hadn't realised there was a difference between systems.

There's a dealership locally and I may give them a shout to see if they can throw a planet check into a servicing and get it all done at once.

Thanks again

Dave
Could work out expensive, where about are you located, maybe someone local with PP and may even help you do a service yourself. Filters and oil are so cheap now and tbh, very easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at what is needed for a service, we're actually fairly up to date on most things. Tyres are all relatively new, fuel filter and air filter are brand new, cam belt has been done, brakes all recently checked with new discs and pads at the back and for the rest of the jobs I'd be pretty happy to do myself. Big things I see that remain to need doing are the oil filter and oil change, pollen filter change and checking the coolant levels.

I'm in SW London, Hammersmith way. If there is someone close with a Planet system I'd be more than happy to pay beer money/fees and be extremely grateful if they could hook it up to the car to see what's going on.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Getting round to contacting some Planet owners to look at my car, but in the mean time I've found the report from the mechanic with the fault codes on. Car was throwing out a P0100 and a P0110. As far as I understand it, these are for the MAF and air temperature sensor. After the MAF was replaced, my mechanic said he cleared these. So, new MAF and cleared codes but rough idling is still there. Does that add anything to the picture.

Think d3ck4rd or deeztheweez is possibly closest to where I am, does anyone know if they're still active? No response on a PM to d3ck4rd yet, still need to contact deeztheweez.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I av a 307 hdi estate with limp mode prob the esp light is on jus wanted 2 no if any1 would no wat the fault would b also anti pollution fault is on the dash but iv ad the system removed but sumtimes the lights go out 4 a while then cum on

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
BOD 318 start your own thread but do not type in txt tlk it 4 kids

SLEEPERSHARK the fault codes showing may have been there a while you need live data showing fuel pressures etc fault codes only help diagnostics people think replace whatever part relates to the fault that comes up but its rarely that simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a feeling from reading some other posts on here that may be the case, I guess I just live in hope this may be a simple fix, which I suppose it may be.... (fingers crossed). I'll continue to hunt for a local Planet-owning person.

Thanks for the input.

P

·
0 Posts
I would if I new how to iv only jus signed sox if I rattled ur cage I fort we was al ere 2 help
Translation:

I would if I knew how to. I've only just signed sorry if I rattled your cage, I thought we were all here to help.

Don't usually go all grammar police on people but i'm in that mood today haha:)

Quite easy to post your own thread, not much harder then posting how you have.

·
11,725 Posts
Hi I av a 307 hdi estate with limp mode prob the esp light is on jus wanted 2 no if any1 would no wat the fault would b also anti pollution fault is on the dash but iv ad the system removed but sumtimes the lights go out 4 a while then cum on
Fault could be anything. My post suggesting a diagnostic applies here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bit of an update....

Thanks to everyone who replied to me about the Planet diagnostics, very much appreciated. As I put above, I met up with Deeztheweez and we hooked his planet system up to my 307. Thanks again Paul for the help!!

PP gave the same fault codes, MAF air flow problem and air temperature sensor possibly with an open circuit. Paul has had a think about symptoms/codes and thinks there may be an air leak somewhere downstream from the MAF and/or possibly a dodgy EGR, so the fuel/air mix is off.

Paul has given me some advice on what to look for, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this particular problem on a 2.0 90 bhp 307 HDi (I had said it was a 1.6 earlier on, apparently not!) and hunting down that air leak.

I've also been looking at the threads on blanking the EGR (in case it is that) and I understand the task of blanking it on the 2.0 90 bhp is a bit of a pain. If I can do it without unmounting the engine (as per haynes) I'd be interested to hear how, I think though that may be a job for a mechanic. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would be far from pleased to come home to find me with an arm stuck down the back of the engine....

Thanks again for the help, any further input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts