Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and hope you all had a good Easter.just bought a 307 1.6hdi for my sins as my beloved 2.0 hdi the flywheel has disintegrated.however on this 1.6 hdi I have a shaky rough engine on idle and blue smoke and the fumes are really strong they hurt your eyes and smell like a tractor!when it's warm it clears up slightly.whwn driving at low revs in 1st gear the engine seems to hesitate??ive read about these engines and diesel injector seals but they all look clean apart from the one closest to the battery as it has what looks like a slight coating of engine oil and the others look orange from rust.does anyone know what this could be?ive got no eml light on or nothing.car seems to be ok but slightly underpowered.any help would be great guys.thanjs in advance.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The 1.6hdi is a great engine IF it has been well looked after. If it hasn't, there can be a few issues relating to the oil, turbo, egr etc.

I don't want to sound like I'm scaremongering!

We had a 307 1.6hdi estate, and I've spent a lot of hours tinkering with it. New injectors, egr, turbo.... :nono:

My advice would be to clean everything out as much as possible - new fuel filter, oil and filter change, clean/replace oil pick-up pipe to the turbo, clean turbo, clean EGR, new air filter, clean the injectors and replace the copper washers/seals. It's probably worth changing the glow plugs whilst you're at it :D

If you've still got the symptoms afterwards, then you may want to look at live data and see what's happening inside the car. Fault codes may give you an indication.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that reply.could it be that I put a universal induction kit on as I didn't like the airbox set up and don't fancy changing that every few thousand miles?ive kept the original box.also on hard revs there was like black carbon residue on the pavement after I revved it whilst it was doing this.only seems to be since I put that filter on?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Thanks for that reply.could it be that I put a universal induction kit on as I didn't like the airbox set up and don't fancy changing that every few thousand miles?ive kept the original box.also on hard revs there was like black carbon residue on the pavement after I revved it whilst it was doing this.only seems to be since I put that filter on?
If there's a lot of carbon on the pavement, you've got a carbon build up somewhere between the engine and the DPF.

P1351 is your glow plugs.
P0238 is turbo related - "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit High"
P0121 is "Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only seems since that cheap filter got put on.i don't have any lights on dash also that carbon thing clears up along with the rough idle when she's warm?im baffled I prefer the old tractor 2.0 110.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could that interfere with boost etc?ive read also that you need the plugs for a regen?maybe blocked dpf but no light on?anyone had similar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it back and get your money back you are entitled to do that or the seller pays to repair the car as long as its within a reasonable time, (that the new law and most people are not aware of it), turbos and pistons are expensive and its likely to be one of those,

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The glow plugs are needed for regens.

It's easy enough to take the DPF off, it's just a little tricker getting it back together!

If it's too much hassle, then get in touch with the seller.

When you start the car, as the car is starting up does the engine management light show for 5 seconds? I'd have a look at whether the bulb behind the engine management symbol has been removed.

Look into the fault codes too, they're there for a reason. You'll definitely need live data to get more of an idea on what's happening.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah light goes on before I start up.when I checked the car before I bought it which was on Saturday there was no smoke or rough idle.i cleaned the maf with petrol as well could that be it?also like I say no lights on dash or codes for maf

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update.started car up from cold and ran great.soon as it warms up it's smoking bad and running rough.whitish smoke on tick over blue on driving.pulled all injector connections off individually on tick over and no real difference apart from one been a bit weaker than the others.could this be my fault?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would that throw a light on tho?also bud smoke clears when hot.ive noticed as well if I hold revs at 1.5k the car stutters and hesitates like f***!!!is that egr cleaner in a can anygood?is there a how to on to clean it on this engine on here bud?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Not always, if the fault is intermittent, it may not illuminate. And the if the car is still running within acceptable parameters, even though it's running rough, the EML may not come on.

We use(d) a 307SW 1.6hdi at work, and to cut a long story short, it wasn't looked after well by those who used it the most.

First thing that started going was the injectors (I think number 3 was on it's way out). Replaced the injector and copper washers.

Then the DPF was rammed with soot. Hand cleaned and it ran great.

Then there was a misfire/flat spot at 1500rpm. Replaced the EGR valve as it was manky, and there was an intermittent fault code stored.

This kind of fixed it for a bit until all power was lost, which turned out to be the turbo. New turbo, 200m down the road, new turbo broken. Known problem on the 1.6hdi.

If the car is going the same way as our work car, then it needs a thorough clean, and a couple of new parts to prevent further (potential) issues. There's an SB detailing what needs to be done to try and keep everything working well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's an SB?jesus bud another problem.changed battery in key fob.did the marrying up thing with ignition on and press lock/unlock and guess what?still can't lock car.only with drivers side key hole?is there any way to lock the passenger door with out electronics doing it bud?im tearing my hair out with this motor wish I had my old 53 plate se back lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts