Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Recently i bough second-hand a Peugeot 308 with Rneg (WipNav) sat/audio system.
It presents a problem - every 30 min. the system restarts, if navigation was set, have to set it again, etc., just if it would do in economy mode, without the motor running.

The unit has the latest firmware + maps.

Does anybody have some idea about what could the problem be + how to solve it?

Thanks, and best wishes from Hungary.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Mine occasionally resets itself but then seems fine for months on end. You could try a system reset.

Go into settings
Press & hold buttons 1, 2 & 3 together
From the hidden menu choose settings
From the settings menu choose reset (reboot)

Might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Storeman

Thanks, but i tried that one already, also i (re)updated the firmware (it was the latest before too), reset it to factory defaults, took out/replaced the fuse, no success.

And it's not occasional, it occurs in exactly 30 min :)

Now i'm trying to find somebody with an identical navi system and change the two, to see, if it's the navi's fault or something else electronic/computer etc. related.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Have you tried the factory reset - pretty sure that's somewhere in the secondary menu as opposed to just a reboot. It would clear out all presets, addresses etc but might resolve the issue. Other than that, considering you have already re flashed the firmware the only thing I can think of would be a hardware fault, maybe something overheating causing it to shut down and restart, much like a computer would if the cpu overheated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, factory reset done too. Overheating can't be, because if reset, it works again 30 minutes ? Will report back, as soon we changed the head units, found a guy nearby, just to have time for it...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Does it have an SD card in it?
Is the RNEG the one that uses them for the maps?
Could that be corrupt and causing issues?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Yes, factory reset done too. Overheating can't be, because if reset, it works again 30 minutes ? Will report back, as soon we changed the head units, found a guy nearby, just to have time for it...
If you had put this information in the original post then I wouldn't have wasted the time to post the suggestions that weren't required. We can only give responses based on the information you supply. Witholding the information means people respond only to find that you have already tried what was suggested.

Had you bothered to read the FAQ for new members you might have done as suggested in item 6 and given all relevant information in the first place.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
26 Posts
@kestabacsi: Have you managed to swap the RNEG units - does the another one have the same issues?

@everybody: My RNEG suffers from the same Restart problem (after 30 minutes using the navigation).
The whole story is described on Croatian Peugeot forum in topic: "RNEG (Wip Nav) restart problem". Although you won't undersand Croatian, you'll se from the photos what's been done - to no avail :-(.

- The Head unit is with the latest FW (but the same issues were on all the Firmwares; 2,3,4 and now on 5).
- For some reason internal fan not working. Connected directly on power supply works and now rews constantly when Head unit is on. But fan still doesen't prevent the unit from restart.
- Thermal paste is applied between amplifier chip and radiator. Passive cooling slightly improved, fan working, but still restarts.
- SD card isn't corrupted (tried 3 various cards and it's always the same). Restrts even with the original, unmodified Harman-Becker 2009-2010 card.
- Restarts approx. once a month even without SD card - obviously then without using navigation and regardless if on CD, MP3 or on FM. iPhone paired with the unit all the time.
- Overheating isn't the reason 'cause I drilled the holes in metal enclousure to get better airflow and also inserted an 8x8 cm fan underneath the unit, but it still restarts even at 34 ℃ or 45 ℃.

Recently on Internet I found a guy from Poland who (with some "RNEG Repair Tool") performes SW reset of the unit and then it works well.

On his web site says: "RNEG Recovery Tool allows to repair RNEG navigations with software faults.

Typical symptoms are:
- black LCD display or unit doesn't turn on at all
- hangs on LOGO
- problem with SW update
- it's resetting itself
- hangs on menu"

The same does another guy in Portugal with "RNEG/NG4 Emergency kit". Allegedly, the software erases the gaps within the code, writes it again and then the Headunit works.

Anybody has info on this, or has tried it?

In both cases too damn far for me to try it out :-(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Borrowed a RNEG Head unit from P308.
Drived 2 hours with navigation on with no problems (except the anoying Beep :) and no restart at all!

Interesting: internal fan wasn't active (don't know when the internal controller on logic board triggers it?), but nevertheless the temperature never exceeded Gyro 45 ℃, Amp. 55 ℃.

So, the serach for a solution continues... :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Borrowed a RNEG Head unit from P308.
Drived 2 hours with navigation on with no problems (except the anoying Beep :) and no restart at all!

Interesting: internal fan wasn't active (don't know when the internal controller on logic board triggers it?), but nevertheless the temperature never exceeded Gyro 45 ℃, Amp. 55 ℃.

So, the serach for a solution continues... :lol:
Had similar issue -reseting every 30 mins, peugeot replaced the head unit under warranty (eventually) -only just made it as a warranty claim -35 months. took them 3 months to fix it. bought it at 35 months and it did it straight away.
Al

·
Registered
14 Posts
@kestabacsi: Have you managed to swap the RNEG units - does the another one have the same issues?

@everybody: My RNEG suffers from the same Restart problem (after 30 minutes using the navigation).
The whole story is described on Croatian Peugeot forum in topic: "RNEG (Wip Nav) restart problem". Although you won't undersand Croatian, you'll se from the photos what's been done - to no avail :-(.

• The Head unit is with the latest FW (but the same issues were on all the Firmwares; 2,3,4 and now on 5).
  • For some reason internal fan not working. Connected directly on power supply works and now rews constantly when Head unit is on. But fan still doesen't prevent the unit from restart.
  • Thermal paste is applied between amplifier chip and radiator. Passive cooling slightly improved, fan working, but still restarts.
  • SD card isn't corrupted (tried 3 various cards and it's always the same). Restrts even with the original, unmodified Harman-Becker 2009-2010 card.
  • Restarts approx. once a month even without SD card - obviously then without using navigation and regardless if on CD, MP3 or on FM. iPhone paired with the unit all the time.
  • Overheating isn't the reason 'cause I drilled the holes in metal enclousure to get better airflow and also inserted an 8x8 cm fan underneath the unit, but it still restarts even at 34 ℃ or 45 ℃.

Recently on Internet I found a guy from Poland who (with some "RNEG Repair Tool") performes SW reset of the unit and then it works well.

On his web site says: "RNEG Recovery Tool allows to repair RNEG navigations with software faults.

Typical symptoms are:
  • black LCD display or unit doesn't turn on at all
  • hangs on LOGO
  • problem with SW update
- it's resetting itself
- hangs on menu"

The same does another guy in Portugal with "RNEG/NG4 Emergency kit". Allegedly, the software erases the gaps within the code, writes it again and then the Headunit works.

Anybody has info on this, or has tried it?

In both cases too damn far for me to try it out :-(
hi,
Did you have any success in the end?

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi,
Did you have any success in the end?
No...
Untill I found a guy who was able to repair it! Apparently he changed something on the motherboard and no restarts after that!

I was happy for about 5 months and then came the GPS WNRO bug resulting incorrect time callculation and searching for satellites on wrong positions. Thus leading to poor satellites reception and inaccurat map positioning. No cure for that so far... :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts