Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the bushes on the control arms are perishing so plan on replacing the control arms and so need to split tue ball joints. I always hate doing these because of the risk of spitting the rubber. I normally use one of the scissor type splitters but was wondering is wacking the arm with a hammer really does work. Anyone recommend any risk free tips for splitting the joint??

·
Registered
290 Posts
I fitted a new driveshaft yesterday.. Belted the wishbone a few times and then checked that the joint had split by using a big screrdriver to see if it had seperated. they dont always pop out. Worked a treat! :) And I'm a helmet with car repairs.....I break more than I fix.... I broke the ABS sensor... :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know that it works....will try that method. I'll be sure to pay attention to the ABS sensor :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If there's room, it's best to use two hammers one on each side of the joint and hit the joint with both hammers at the same time. That usually jars it free.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Be careful of the ball joint rubbers. ..its deqd easy to hit them.....don't ask!!!! Good tip with the two hammers,I'll try this next time. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can buy rubbers on their own now, Various parts retailers stock them only about £5 each. Some come as a selection pack and others individually. look also on eBay :thumb:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Unscrew the nut until its level with the end of the thread, then hit this nut with a hammer. This should prevent any damage to the thread.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the joints a couple of years ago and they've done about 10,000km so should still be fine.....hence the desire to go carefully when separating them. ? i did order one just in case

·
Registered
165 Posts
Safest way i know, if you have the space is to chain a long bar/ bit of scaffolding to the underside of the control arm and use leverage to break ball joint. 2 meter bar and the ball joint pops with almost no effort:thumb:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts