Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi experts.

My 2003 307SW has started to beep randomly while driving around the city (it doesn't happen while travelling at speed on an open road).

It's the same beep as would normally be associated with the reversing sensors, but no longer only when I'm in reverse!

It often happens while slowing down at city driving speeds. If someone is very close behind at traffic lights then the beeping is continuously. In this case the beeping reduces if I move forwards away from the vehicle behind.

So it appears that the reversing sensors are now on in Drive and not only when in Reverse. Does anyone know how this could happen and better still how it could be resolved??

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I'd be suspecting the reversing light switch is stuck so even when not in reverse it is still switching on the reversing sensors.

Get someone to watch the back of the car to see if the reversing light is on when in neutral or a forward gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Storeman. I really thought you were onto something, but sadly the reversing light only comes on when the car is in reverse... in other words it's working correctly, unlike my beeper! :-(

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Silly question but do you have front sensors as well ??

I recently did a diagnostic on a car with a damaged front sensor which was causing something similar and was asked to disable the sensors.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Had something similar a few years ago and it would happen when it was hot and the brakes where on. I ended up using a fibreglass pen to clean all the contacts on the bulb holder and on the connector. I also tweeted the bulb holder pins to ensure a good mechanical contact. It sorted the issue. I just put it down to surface oxidation giving a poor earth or earth leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Storeman. No question is silly... it's a really annoying habit the car has developed and I appreciate and ideas. To answer your question though, there are no front sensors.
cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Britinbe. Thanks for your reply. I must admit that I'm not quite clear on your post. At the moment it's winter here so not really hot (if you're talking about ambient temperatures), and which bulb holder and connector are you meaning? It sounds more like a lamp issue your were having?
cheers
John

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi Britinbe. Thanks for your reply. I must admit that I'm not quite clear on your post. At the moment it's winter here so not really hot (if you're talking about ambient temperatures), and which bulb holder and connector are you meaning? It sounds more like a lamp issue your were having?
cheers
John
Sorry....posting from a phone and hate typing on those things.

The issue was a few years ago, during hot/dry weather (it normally pisses it down most of the time) there would be a periodic beep which had me puzzled. Reversing lights and brake lights all worked fine when I checked them in the garage. The clue can from a friend of my wife who commented that the reversing light can one a couple of times when she was following her to school to drop the kids off. I then cleaned the bulb holders and connectors for the rear lights. Took out all the bulbs, cleaned all the connectors for the bulbs and the plug and connectors with a fibre glass pen and decreased using IPA/electrical contact cleaner which sorted the issue. Never had the issue again. I always put it down to corroded/dirty/dry connections that may have given a bad earth.

If you have a pre-facelift version, you should be able to switch the bulb holders over in the rear lights and see if the issue is still there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried all suggestions and everything else I could think of but to no avail. I've had to put in a pretty basic fix which I'll describe here just because you may just get a laugh out of it... so after pulling the central console of the car apart I finally found the little beeper making all the noise. I snipped one wire feeding it and connected it through the contacts of a small mechanical relay. Next I ran a wire from the relay coil, under the carpets to the rear tail light, and connected it to the wire feeding the reversing light. This way the beeper is disconnected at all times unless the car is in reverse :) Thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts