Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

So I am planning to install a reverse camera in my 2014 308 (SMEG+) as it did not come with one standard. I will document the process here as I go along..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, so first things first... The theory.. Is this possible?

I went to a Peugeot Dealers where a friend of mine works, he can connect to SMEG+ in my car with Diagbox 8.22, and make changes. We tested this as we enabled the 'mood lighting' option on my SMEG+. There was an option there for 'enable video input from reverse camera'. Perfect, so in theory, plug one in, and turn it on!

The next part is seeing if there is somewhere to install the camera! So I started by removing the main part of the boot trim.

To do so, you must remove the two small plastic covers located near the rear light cluster:

These have a small tab that you can insert a trim removal tool into, and carefully lever them out. Once they are both out, you will notice there is a T20 Torx screw located behind each one.

Once the 2 T20's are out, you just have to pull on the plastic trim. (Make sure you have disconnect your parcel shelf bungee cords here before doing this).

You can see where the poppers are here:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This basically reveals all the wires for the workings of the boot...

I found a loom for the boot open switch, the boot locking mechanism, the rear wiper motor, and both reg plate lights.

Unfortunately, so far I cannot see a place to plug in the reverse camera, so need to ask for the help of someone with one.

If you are reading this, and have a reverse camera, if you could possibly remove the trim mentioned above and see where your camera is plugged in, i would be eternally grateful. A picture I found suggests that the camera connector cable is short, so it must be close!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just had another good look, and I am certain that there is no loom to connect the reverse camera to.

I am pretty disappointed with that, I thought it would be a nice easy job to be honest.

Hopefully someone with a camera can assist, and clarify for certain where it connects.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would think it must be the same loom that you tapped into for the number plate LED units you fitted?

If you don't get a reply from an SW owner then let me know and I'll take mine off again and have a look to see how mine goes on the hatchback.

Al.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think it must be the same loom that you tapped into for the number plate LED units you fitted?

If you don't get a reply from an SW owner then let me know and I'll take mine off again and have a look to see how mine goes on the hatchback.

Al.
I can see the looms for the number plate lights, they all connect back to a central loom. I have taken some pictures that I will upload later...

Mine is a hatchback too by the way! :thumb:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Update with new photo:

Al.

NB: Sorry, it was your mention of the reverse light in the tailgate made me puzzle that you may have the SW.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this picture shows the loom to the camera just on the right in this picture:

Al.

NB: Sorry, it was your mention of the reverse light in the tailgate made me puzzle that you may have the SW.
Yeah I was just being a muppet when I mentioned that.

Where is that loom then? Is that near the door open switch? Is that what that is on the left? And i figure thats the rear wiper motor on the right...

I think if the loom was that obvious I would have definitely seen it. Did it seem to go back to the same loom that all the other cables used to?

Thanks so much for the photo by the way :thumb:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've just been down and removed my interior cover for a few shots of .....

a) The rear of the camera:

b) The camera lead down to the connector:

c) The connector lead joining into the loom:

Hope it helps.

Al.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, 100% that connector isn't there now, i traced the main loom into the boot, and followed each 'branch' that comes off it. There are no loose connectors :(

When I get more time, I will check the loom coming into the boot, and see what colour wires are present in there, perhaps the wires are just cut and sealed in the loom somewhere :confused:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just got the bad news from Peugeot today...

"Regarding your inquiry for the additional options for your 308 (Reverse Camera, Driver Pack and Rear 12 Volt Power Supply), unfortunately, the current wiring harness in the car is not configured to accommodate the options."

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's a shame, but not unexpected as they must save an enormous amount of copper cable by having looms made up ready for various models according to their spec.

They probably would waste 9M or so (3M x 3 cores - maybe more) of cable, plus the connectors that are fitted each end, just for the reverse camera, let alone all the other wiring for higher specced models.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I understand... I can trust the dealer tech to have him layout the cable and activate SMEG, but the other problem is will Peugeot let me order the camera.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand... I can trust the dealer tech to have him layout the cable and activate SMEG, but the other problem is will Peugeot let me order the camera.
That was my next though. The camera could potentially be powered from somewhere else, and could run a video feed to the headunit. You can order them from peugeot in the UK for about £90 + brackets.

I was looking at one on eBay for £40 from a car that was involved in a head on crash!

·
Registered
Peugeot 308, 1.6 hdi 92hp, 2015
26 Posts
Hi, have you anything news for your project? I would like to put on my 308 reverse camera. It 's possible?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

I am afraid this is no longer possible.

The loom is not in my boot for the camera, and it appears that the camera does not work on standard power and signal

It uses the CAN system to talk to the head unit, and appears to require a separate ECU.

I may look into it when parts are a bit cheaper, but for now its a no go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I am afraid this is no longer possible.

The loom is not in my boot for the camera, and it appears that the camera does not work on standard power and signal

It uses the CAN system to talk to the head unit, and appears to require a separate ECU.

I may look into it when parts are a bit cheaper, but for now its a no go.
Hi Paul, have you looked at Xcarlink?

They make video interfaces that take control of the screen and send a camera image to it when reverse is selected.

I had one on my old Insignia and it worked very well. No need for any programming and it can use aftermarket cameras.

Graham

1 - 20 of 189 Posts