Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an automatic dimming rear view mirror on my 207 and it's one of the few things I miss on my 308.

Do you think it would be possible to retrofit an auto dimming unit in place of my standard one on my 308?

C

·
0 Posts
You'd need the mirror, which will nae be cheap. A used mirror from a 407 being broken might be cheaper. You'll then need to lay in a power supply, slaved to the lights. Not difficult, but the mirror itself might cost a few pennies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chopper1192 said:
You'd need the mirror, which will nae be cheap. A used mirror from a 407 being broken might be cheaper. You'll then need to lay in a power supply, slaved to the lights. Not difficult, but the mirror itself might cost a few pennies.
I didn't think I'd need any wiring other than the power supply. I was guessing that it was a stand-alone unit.

I've not had a chance to check yet but i think that the harness to my map light might be the same as the one for the auto-dimming mirror. I know that on quite a few other cars, the harnesses are the sam, it's just a case of plugging in the unit.

I'll have to try and get a price form somewhere!

·
Registered
184 Posts
You used to be able to do a similar retro fit on rover 200's with the MGF mirror.

Basic jist is, you need the mirror and some form of power. On my old rover I used the interior light to take a feed from and it worked as you would expect. Came on with interiors and dimmed when it should.

C

·
0 Posts
you need the power relayed into the headlamps though, or on bright sunny days the whole thing will dim. Been thinking about this, and I still reckon a 407 being broken (you need the original Sport from 2004/2005, or SE-Lux and higher) could be your best bet for the mirror. Wiring should be a snap. Could be an interesting project there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
chopper1192 said:
you need the power relayed into the headlamps though, or on bright sunny days the whole thing will dim. Been thinking about this, and I still reckon a 407 being broken (you need the original Sport from 2004/2005, or SE-Lux and higher) could be your best bet for the mirror. Wiring should be a snap. Could be an interesting project there.
Not doubting you chop. Just intrigued.
Why does the power need to be relayed into the headlamps? Why would a 12v from the interior light not do and why would it dim on sunny days?

I'm assuming its all BSI related. But surely a light just needs a power and ground feed? (Obviously switched though in this case hence why I said from the interior)

C

·
0 Posts
Now that's a good question - is it connected to the BSI? I'm thinking not and that it's a self contained unit, but you never bleeding quite know with Peugeot!

Yeah, sunny day, sun behind you will dim it. Can't remember which car it was I did a transplant myself (think it was my Carlton, which would be 2 decades ago) and I ended up keeping the power supply direct from the dash, but slaving it to a relay spliced into the dashboard lighting so it only activated with the headlamps on, and that cured it. It may be that the pug ones are better, in which case there's nothing to be lost connecting it to an ignition switched power supply and trying it - if it doesn't work it's then but a minor job to add a relay.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LOL, even after you explain it, I still don't get it.

I don't get why you'd only have it come on when headlights are on? and the dimming you're talking about. I mean obviously if the sun is behind it it won't look as bright, but the same can be said for any interior light???

I know I'm being really dumb here and missing something staring me in the face, but I just don't get it, LOL

C

·
0 Posts
I dunno. maybe I'm losing something in the translation!

either way, Graeme should try it and let us know how it goes - it would make a good 'how to'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
JUST READ THRU THIS LINK
LOL MADE ME SMILE

ITS A EASY JOB YOU COULD DO IT TO ANY CAR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DIMMING MIRROR. ALL IT IS A LIGHT THAT REFLECTS THRU THE INSIDE OF THE MIRROR CREATING A DIMMING EFFECT, SIMPLE LINK UP TO ANY LIVE i.e interior light (nearest power feed wire) and join the circuit. :thumb:

this should be so cheap try ebay for a mirror or a car breakers

·
Registered
184 Posts
chopper1192 said:
I dunno. maybe I'm losing something in the translation!

either way, Graeme should try it and let us know how it goes - it would make a good 'how to'.
LOL, Now I've figured it out mate, I didn't realise this was a dimming mirror, LOL. I for some reason thought it was just a mirror with courtesy lights on, LMAO. What a dumbass!

C

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
£20 Stubbo. Had a wee footy bet up so went a bit mad and bought some stupid stuff for the car. Got brake pads, those metal foot pedals on ebay that are good quality. Also seen a genuine peugeot clutch kit for the 307 and managed to get it for £25. Dont need it but at that price couldnt say no.

Any thoughts on the mirror, maybe I need to fit the holder aswel, does it attach somewhere in the roof lining.

S

·
0 Posts
I've not had a good look at how it fits yet but now i've quit the fags i've got a few spare $$ knocking around to start experimenting with!

My understanding was that all rear view mirros have to attach to the windscreen somehow otherwise the vibration makes them unusable!

·
Registered
873 Posts
The power feed must run through the roof lining, where else would the feed go. Im well disappointed with the aluminium pedals, £40 and they are a piss poor fit. Might have a go at using double sided foam tape or glue, otherwise they are going back. When you take the rubber covers off the pedals the holes are already drilled in place for the aluminium ones but when on they look crooked.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ive successfully fitted the electric mirror. Its not wired in yet but mounted perfect. Pretty easy, all you have to do is remove the swivel bracket from your current mirror and put it on the electric one. You will have to clip the wiring from the electric mirror but this can be easily reattached.

Going to get dad to do wiring as hes an electrician so will have a better idea but if anyone can put up a guide that would be great.

Going to feed the wiring into the roof lining and work from there. Obviously it will be noticeable on the windscreen but the wires are very thin and will put up a sunstrip and will look fine, pics...

http://s950.photobucket.com/home/daffyduck42/index

S

·
0 Posts
I've just picked one of these up myself for 15 notes so i'll be investigating this with you shortly

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts