Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, made a bit of a dumb mistake and bought a 2nd used transponder key off ebay thinking it would be simple to program it to the car. Spoke to an auto locksmith who has now told me its not possible.

Now i'm confused, can the key be reprogrammed to the same as the 1st original key?

Or can the ECU be programmed to except 2 different transponders? (I would guess this would be potentially risky as the person I bought it off might have another key with the same code)

Also when we bought the car, it never came with the security code. Peugeot said to get the code would be £24, is there a way of reading the code using obd??

Sorry for all the questions, annoyed with myself for what looks like a waste of £25 getting the fob and a new key cut to go into it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help bettyswollocks. If I want a second key then does this mean a trip to pug to get one? How does it work do they provide a blank fob which they program?

C

·
0 Posts
you could put a transponder in the ebay key if you aren't bothered about having a 2nd remote then get it coded to the car cost you another fiver for transponder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could put a transponder in the ebay key if you aren't bothered about having a 2nd remote then get it coded to the car cost you another fiver for transponder.
Hi Cab, don't suppose you could post me a link to the sort of thing you mean. I thought the transponder and remote was all sort of integral, now i'm more confused than ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go

PCF7936AS TRANSPONDER CHIP | eBay

You'd need to find out which type chip you would need think it would be either id45 or id46.
Thanks Cab, so is my thinking right here, if i replace that chip, i should in theory then be able to (with the security code) go to pug or an auto locksmith and they will be able to code this to the car. This will then allow me to use the spare key to drive the car, but not control the remote central locking? And the original key will also work?
This was much simpler on the 306 just getting another one cut :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Cab, does this mean if i replace this in the 2nd fob i can then once i have the security code take it to pug to code it to the car? Does it make the original key redundant?
Sorry for what must seem like stupid questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok got it now, many thanks for your help, maybe not such a total loss after all, just not what I was expecting. Thought it would be simple program and car and doors would all be done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts