Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, had a search but cant find anything here, how hard, what is involved in replacing the steering rack on the 1.6 Hdi 307 ?

D

·
0 Posts
Whats up with it?
The the subframe has to come off firstly. Its a job for a lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a bit of free play in the rack if you move either of the front wheels when jacked up, its not coming from the hub bearings or the track rod ends, and can also hear the fluid moving about if you push/pull the front wheels, sounded like there was water in the gaiters at first, sounds like a pain in the butt job then

D

·
0 Posts
there is a bit of free play in the rack if you move either of the front wheels when jacked up, its not coming from the hub bearings or the track rod ends, and can also hear the fluid moving about if you push/pull the front wheels, sounded like there was water in the gaiters at first, sounds like a pain in the butt job then
Did you check the inner tie rods. They give trouble. The racks themselves are pretty troublefree.
Is there fluid in the gaiters?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fluid

well looked properly tonight its not fluid, it was just a bit damp , it has been standing about for over a year, the freeplay is in the inner ball joints but i cant see how to take them off, there dont seem to be anywhere on the housing part of the ball joint where you could get a spanner on to undo it, any ideas

·
Registered
315 Posts
they're not too tight- stilsons or pipe wrench will do in lieu of the special tool. Try to counterhold the rack end some way, to protect it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which inner tie rod

Well guys i have got the old inner arm/joint off but there is 2 types how do i tell which one i need ?
what is the difference between the two the ones i have taken off have a 14mm thread on each end, male and female .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts