Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to replace the rear brake pads on a 2010 3008 HDi Sport.

I have been able to jack the back axle up and remove the pads on one side by keeping the engine running (outside) and releasing the Electric Parking Brake. (I dont have Planet Peugoet).

Can anyone tell me if I can wind the piston in while the engine is running, and is it likely to do any harm to any of the braking system?

Also I notice the pads on the nearside rear are almost worn down while the offside has still quite some wear left on them. My wife normally drives the car and said that sometimes one wheel seemed to stay locked for a moment when driving off. Why would the wear be more severe on one side?

If I can wind the piston back with the engine running would I be better to clamp the flexie pipe and open the bleed nipple?

This is the first time I have worked on a car with Electrical Parking Brake so any help would be greatly appreciated.:nod:

·
Registered
441 Posts
You should be able to wind the piston back without engine running?

just use a syringe and suck some fluid out the reservoir in the engine bay to avoid overspill of fluid returning.

check the discs when pads removed to see if they are corroded more so on one side causing uneven wear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mooseman, thanks for the reply.

Question is can i wind piston back with engine running, cause if i switch off engine, Parking Brake will engage. Just wondering if anyone has replaced the pads this way as I dont want to do any damage to the braking system.:confused:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi Mooseman, thanks for the reply.

Question is can i wind piston back with engine running, cause if i switch off engine, Parking Brake will engage. Just wondering if anyone has replaced the pads this way as I dont want to do any damage to the braking system.:confused:
can you not unplug wire to parking brake then switch engine off

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Don't know if this helps but on my 3008 Hybrid4 if you turn on the ignition to the first position of the key, (don't start the engine, just the first key position) then put your foot on the foot brake and operate the parking brake switch this will release the parking brake, then if take your foot off the brake pedal and switch off the ignition the parking brake should remain released so you don't need to have the engine running. It will bleep at you when you open the door to get out but just ignore that! This is a feature provided so that the car can be parked up with the parking brake off if you need to remove the battery for example or if there is a danger of the brake freezing on in winter weather.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mooi1uk and trustme. thanks for the reply.

I will try your suggestion this evening and let you know how i get on.

Regarding winding back the piston, does this do any harm to the breaking system, or should i clamp the flexi pipe and open the bleed nipple?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hi mooi1uk and trustme. thanks for the reply.

I will try your suggestion this evening and let you know how i get on.

Regarding winding back the piston, does this do any harm to the breaking system, or should i clamp the flexi pipe and open the bleed nipple?
The parking brake trick does work, I just went out to the garage and tried it. :thumb:Regarding the brakes, personally I would open the bleed nipple to wind back the piston to avoid any possible issues with the ABS etc., from what I read I understand that damage can be caused to the ABS seals if fluid is forced through in the "wrong" direction. You won't need to clamp the pipe though, just close the nipple while you still have pressure on the piston and no air should be introduced into the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, im new to this forum and haven't had the chance to intoduce myself yet (will do this later after work), but I thought I would share my experience.

I checked, removed and cleaned all the brakes on my 2010 1.6hdi 3008 on Sunday. These were one on the easiest cars I have worked on brake wise so far.

As already posted to release the handbrake, turn the ignition on (no need to start the engine), put your foot of the foot brake, then pull the handrake switch up as normal. The handbrake should release itself, at which point an alarm will sound to indicate the handbrake is released with the keys in the ignition. Turn the ignition off, and remove the keys, at which point I found the alarm stopped. Remember to always have a window or two open just incase the doors lock for some reason. Applying the handbrake is just a case on turn the ignition on and pull the handbrake switch as normal.

With regards to the pushing the piston back, I have always been taught, when dealing with cars with ABS, the correct and best method is to put a piece of pipe on the bleed nipple, open up the bleed nipple and push the piston back, closing the bleed nipple when the piston is retracted. This method, as already stated in a previous post, reduces the chance of damaging any of the ABS components (forcing brake fluid back up the system could damage the seals, allowing them to weep and leak). There is no need to clamp the flexi pipe.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Chris3008. thanks for the help. I am going to replace the pads this evening so this info is very useful. let you know how i get on.

BTW welcome to the forum:thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all. well I got round to replacing the brake pads last night.

Thanks to the help from you guys on the forum it was a fairly easy job.

Biggest problem was getting the pistons to retract on the rear. I bought a "cube" type piston rewinder but it didn't match up 100%. I ended up with a G clamp and gently wound it in and the pisto turned at the same time (bleed nipple open). Then when the piston was fully retracted I closed the nipple and proceded to replace the pads.

Front pads were very simple and easy to do. Just used G clamp to push pistons back and replace pads.

I also did an oil and filter change which was pretty straight forward. Only thing now is attempting to replace the air filter which looks a bit more of a challenge. Do you have to remove the cowling below windscreen to get access to the filter housing? Or does anyone have an easier option?

thanks again for the help::)

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get to the air filter element by undoing the 3 torx bolts on the front of the filter assembly, then lifting the top up and out of the way.

No need to remove anything other than the top engine cover

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You can get to the air filter element by undoing the 3 torx bolts on the front of the filter assembly, then lifting the top up and out of the way.

No need to remove anything other than the top engine cover
You need a stubby torx screwdriver, there's not much room for your hands! Also, when you replace the cover make sure that the lugs on the rear are engaged properly before replacing the screws. You'll see what I mean when you do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so can you replace the rear pads with out Peugeot planet because I thought you had to re calibrate your electric hand brake

1 - 15 of 15 Posts