Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has someone done that? how does it work, and if i replace original radio with 2 din radio , will i able still control my dashboard monitor after that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just in the process of replacing mine with a 2 din android box.

Unfortunately, the controls for the time / date / etc are on the radio so once that is replaced, there is no direct way to reset the time, etc. That could be a pain after a battery disconnect.. might have to fit a battery memory saver.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No sorry i use apple but the double din units are much alike and the connects2 are just the connector for connecting the head unit onto the car electrics. The patch lead is the bit that keeps the steering remote and its that you keep your clock working with

I normally buy pioneer or kenwood but jvc alpine etc are all good as well

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Further thoughts on this..

Reading around the stalk controls it seems they transmit CAN bus signals on the Peugeot 207. Android boxes typically require a resistive load (related to each button pressed) on their KEY1 and KEY2 input lines and so a CAN to resistance adaptor is needed. This is what Connects2 and PAC SW1 adaptors do.

It should also be quite possible to make a very cheap CAN enabled PIC based interface that does a similar job and some people have already hacked the "VAN" bus protocols that Peugeot use for these things:

VAN Bus Interfacing

https://github.com/dwery/van-bus

My question is, if one can splice the steering wheel controls to the right inputs on the VAN bus, the lines that feed the MFD, whould these not still work with it? They may not work the android box (without the CAN to resistance adaptor) but would they not set MFD parameters like date and time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for help. Now I need to find good radio unit. My budget is about 300€ for radio. Do you think I will get good enough for that money

·
Registered
27 Posts
you will need to buy a wiring harness with stalk adapter. the one you showed in the last post doesn't have it.
One like this: ebay.co.uk/itm/370772706525?ul_noapp=true

what it does is allows you to use the steering wheel controls/stalk to control your audio, and allows for controlling of the trip computer/top display using the same stalk.

About the head unit - nearly £250 for a chinese no-name unit is crazy. Build quality, reliability and warranty are always a lottery, sellers of chinese stuff on ebay show up and vanish on daily basis.
I paid £299 for a JVC unit with Android Auto/Car Play from halfords (big retailer) and I'm perfectly happy with it, if the unit doesn't do something by itself, 3rd party android auto apps on the phone will do it (eg. youtube)

One thing worth noting - I had problem with power wires when fitting my unit. Car's 'economy mode' or whatever cuts the 'constant 12v' power on yellow wire after several minutes, so the head unit loses all the power. I used a fuse tap on F10 fuse (alarm etc) and connected the radio's yellow wire to it, this way it works perfect.

Also - most head units come with cage, so you don't need to buy separate one. I just bought a fascia to make it looking nice.

pics of my unit:
imgur.com/a/SMHMFjM

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only reason to go for Chinese boxes is because they are cheap - hence why I only paid £50 for mine. I've had enough of them nicked (with smashed windows) to know not to not spend too much on one. Although its alright if you have a garage or always park in monitored areas, I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
£50 is fair price for a chinese one but the unit viljami323 is interested in is nearly 5x as much which is a rip-off.

In my area I can leave the car unlocked with roof down, and nothing ever happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
£50 is fair price for a chinese one but the unit viljami323 is interested in is nearly 5x as much which is a rip-off.

In my area I can leave the car unlocked with roof down, and nothing ever happens.

Well can you show mo good quality head unit.

Yes my county is also safe. I can leave my car windows open anywhere

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have no experience with the chinese units, but reading reviews they seem to be all pretty much the same with filmsy buttons etc but working OK.
Personally I bought JVC KW-M730BT and I'm perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you will need to buy a wiring harness with stalk adapter. the one you showed in the last post doesn't have it.
One like this: ebay.co.uk/itm/370772706525?ul_noapp=true

what it does is allows you to use the steering wheel controls/stalk to control your audio, and allows for controlling of the trip computer/top display using the same stalk.

About the head unit - nearly £250 for a chinese no-name unit is crazy. Build quality, reliability and warranty are always a lottery, sellers of chinese stuff on ebay show up and vanish on daily basis.
I paid £299 for a JVC unit with Android Auto/Car Play from halfords (big retailer) and I'm perfectly happy with it, if the unit doesn't do something by itself, 3rd party android auto apps on the phone will do it (eg. youtube)

One thing worth noting - I had problem with power wires when fitting my unit. Car's 'economy mode' or whatever cuts the 'constant 12v' power on yellow wire after several minutes, so the head unit loses all the power. I used a fuse tap on F10 fuse (alarm etc) and connected the radio's yellow wire to it, this way it works perfect.

Also - most head units come with cage, so you don't need to buy separate one. I just bought a fascia to make it looking nice.

pics of my unit:
imgur.com/a/SMHMFjM
How did it work out. Does everything working as it should. Rear sensors and stalks? Looking at doing this myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no rear sensors - my car didn't have the factory ones, and the 'harness with stalk' requires some additional thing purchased separately to be able to utilize them. Part number/code is in the harness' manual.
Instead I installed cheap reverse camera on the back, next to the boot opening handle on the rear - and it works perfectly with my HU. As soon as I put the car in reverse, I have the image on my HU.

stalk controls are working great.

I highly recommend going with the 'full' harness with stalk, as it creates 'ignition' power rail for the HU - the car being french has some bizzare electric system with no native 'ignition' rail. And do yourself a favour and tap to the alarm fuse for 'battery' rail/constant power. Alarm is just about the only one thing that is not cut off by BSI for 'eco mode'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks fair enough. Was concerned about the wiring. Have done some researching. The rear sensor adapter, even on ebay alone cost nearly £70 in the uk. The stalk adapter about £35. I like your idea of replacing with a rear camera. Haven’t bought head unit yet. I need to get one with the right spec on the rear. Such as USB adapter which will be wired to the existing one on the base of the dash. And/or space for rear camera. Did look on eBay and found this which should work.
(Forum won’t let me post links as I’m a newbie. But. eBay have an adapter set, including reversing sensor adaptor for £70 total.)
Might pop to Halfords to buy unit and get them to fit it. I might be brave though and give it a go myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it's not a rocket science. and halfords might have a problem with harness not bought from them. as they are the cheapest when it comes to HUs, they overcharge on wiring etc.

you will need:
small hacksaw or a sawblade to cut the divider between the single din slots.
mini fuse tap and 15A mini fuse, some insulated wire to run the power (battery rail) from fusebox (F10) to the head unit.
aerial adapter with amplifier - you can get nice 2in1 one which splits into analog and DAB connectors, saves having to install additional DAB aerial if your HU supports it.
harness with stalk or stalk+sensors
HU-specific patch lead or universal one for the stalk adapter
small screwdriver to install the HU cage
car specific fascia to make it looking nice

all 'branded' head units like the stuff from halfords come with the cage so no need to buy it separately.
most modern 2din units (eg with carplay/android auto) have rear usb port and usb extension lead and either one or multiple AV inputs for reverse camera etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts