Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a long time reader of the forum but never posted before :-(. But I have a problem with my ageing 308 which I am hoping the community could help with.

A few months ago my WIPNAV / RT6 failed (the usual rebooting continually ROM issue I think). Anyway, this has caused me great sadness, the lack of music, my trip computing being stuck in km and no beeps from my parking sensors. I can't really justify accepting my dealers offer of spending £1.3k on replacing the head unit so I am starting to look at aftermarket options...

Anyway, our local car audio place quoted me £700 to install an aftermarket radio, he didn't quote specific details/model numbers but he quoted:
  • "Kenwood Android Auto Double Din Head Unit" - £400
  • "Wiring and fitment kit" - £150
  • "Installation fee" - £100
  • "DAB Antenna" - £50
Total = £700

I totally do not mind paying the installation fee, it seems reasonable for the effort although after doing some reading I do begrudge that all the other items seem to be inflated quite a bit.

The Kenwood Head Unit he was selling was their "entry-level android auto double din" which I presume is something along the likes of a DMX7018DABS which is already £100 cheaper than his quoted price from other sources. I know the DIY install is probably a pain in the butt due to having to remove the trim to run the GPS antenna and hands-free mic but really I wanted to double-check with a Peugeot geek who has done such stuff before if I am going down the right track.

Basically my plan was to order up the following:
  • The Kenwood DMX7018DABS head unit - £300
  • The CTKPE05 installation kit from connects2 - £105
  • Halfords DAB antenna - £20
  • An afternoon of my time - priceless
Total = £425

The install kit includes the fascia panel, cage, steering wheel control / Canbus adapter and cables and a Fakra to DIN antenna adapter. Does this sound about right / what I need, am I missing anything?

Best Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I don't think you would be able to access your vehicle settings from an aftermarket head unit, I think you need a replacement RT6 unit for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @mooi1uk,

Yep, I understand that, I had my MOT today I was a bit worried about the fact my trip computer permanently displays km, that it would bork my MOT, but the garage was quite happy to log the odometer as km on the MOT certificate rather than miles (I presume they do this already for imports which don't have a miles option). Anyway, I don't care much for being able to turn off my running lights and from what I remember the rest of the vehicle settings in that menu didn't come to much. I'd be happy to live with the limitation of not having access to it.

Best Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
How about dump somebody's else sd card and transfer the image to new one? There's 16GB Sandisk as I remember.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@proforko - I might be wrong about having an RT6, it looks like an RT6 but it's the one with the internal ROM chip rather than the SD card slot, the word Bluetooth is printed across where the SD card slot normally is (not sure if that has a different model number).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you set on completely replacing it? Why not repairing it or getting a used unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you set on completely replacing it? Why not repairing it or getting a used unit?
Now that is a lot cheaper than I was quoted for a repair from the UK based service centre. Has anyone used these guys before and can comment on the service?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure? Mine was not visible form outside and was on left side as I remember
You mean they put an SD card inside the unit sometimes rather than using a ROM chip and they don't make it accessible? I'll get the radio out pop the cover and check it out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts