Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - wondered if anyone can help with a strange problem I've had on my 2004 307 this evening.

Replaced the standard stereo head unit with an aftermarket one. This worked ok once I had the wiring correct. I did have a problem whereby the interface lead for the steering wheel stalk controls didn't work. I removed the interface lead and managed to get the head unit working albeit without the steering controls.

Went out to the shops, got a "Insufficient Oil Pressure" warning on the display and the STOP light flashing on the dash. Strangely, the headlights were also flashing every 10 seconds or so, which I did not realise until I got home and saw the reflection in another car!

Checked the oil, fine. Disconnected the battery, replaced unit with the original factory fitted head unit. Left the car a while and reconnected the battery. Went for a drive, everything seems to be back to normal.

I do not understand how replacing the head unit could lead to these issues? Could this be related to the interface to the stalk? Had I wired something incorrectly (I just used the standard ISO adaptors)? Could it be because the engine was switched on/off a few times whilst I sorted out the wiring in my testing? What would cause the flashing headlights?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated. I'd like to get the new head unit in again soon but am now very reluctant to do so, and am worried I've caused some sort of permanent damage to the car?!

Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good grief. Why on earth do people do electrical work without disconnecting the battery?

Hooking up a head unit isn't some "guess what this wire does" affair, it's an exact science.

Hopefully a BSI Reset helps, if not, who knows what you could have roasted. Check the fuses while you're there as well.

·
11,778 Posts
Yes, its not like the old days. Everything electrical on a 307 is connected to the ECU and CAN/VAN BUS.

Its like adding more memory to a PC while its switched on - you just wouldn't do it.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes, its not like the old days. Everything electrical on a 307 is connected to the ECU and CAN/VAN BUS.

Its like adding more memory to a PC while its switched on - you just wouldn't do it.
I saw a kid does this once, somehow he shorted something out and pc went up with a god almighty bang. Never saw this idiot again thankfully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry should have said... Battery was removed when doing the original swap and when swapping back to the factory fitted unit. Checked wiring diagrams before I began. I think the problem was the stalk interface box was dodgy. Anyway driven 70 miles today without a problem so hhopefully no permanent damage done. Thanks for all replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts