Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

replace smeg unit with nac to get CarPlay

231K views 408 replies 81 participants last post by  jozkah 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello

i have researched a lot about the new head unit which had CarPlay as a feature, and I wonder for long time about if it will be possible to retrofit it on the old t9 model, so I found a post on a French forum which I want to give a try!

I already have the touchscreen and Nac unit from a donor car, but the wiring seems to be different which u guys can see on the attached picture, as I read the post its should be possible with an adapter with some wiring too, I have bought an adapter from china which will get it to work, I will update u guys with feeds after I receive the adapter!

here are som picture of the old and new unit and the cable I ordered

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, how do you wire the SOS element, as that is a mandatory item for new homologated cars in the EU. Obviously you are retrofitting so not important.
But I suspect you might get some error messages you may need to suppress as you have no SOS button to take car of push detection etc.

#3 ·
If you have a BTA (Stand-alone Box - Peugeot Connect SOS)

The BTA is USB connected to the green port (same format as the standard NAC / SMEG USB port

Of cause we will get some errors thats why we have to telecode the unit, we have to find a car similar to our model with a NAC (with the same finish as yours) and get the VIN on the windshield (if you find several it's even better), then you won't get any problem to get the sos element work properly, In fact, if the car you find has one or more additional options it is not very serious, the NAC will display related options (ex: switch high beam that I do not have on mine) but they will never be activated. The goal is still to get as close as possible to what you really have, it's "cleaner".

#4 ·
Finally i did it, everything works, just replaced the touch screen and headunit and assembled it again with the adapter I ordered, then telecode the headunit to the vin number!

thats it!

Attachments

#21 ·
Everything is sorted and working. To make life a LOT easier I would ONLY use parts from a 308 face-lift car. Even though the units for all cars share the same part numbers.

I'd also ensure you get the correct cable of AliExpress.com.... There's a few different versions. I'll try and knock up a guide when I have time but I can confirm everything works as it should amd its a million times better than Smeg!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I think there was on eBay for genuine already coded for plug and play with all cables and harnesses for £500.
I saw the AliExpress bits you have up there and it all looks genuine and the seller has told me it’s all genuine BUT they need to be programmed by Peugeot (which will cost approx £90) and then coded to your VIN (approx £50 unless you can convince Peugeot to do it for you) all in all should be under £300.
I’m personally waiting for some spare cash to try it out.
If you do decide to go ahead then please let us know the outcome.

#26 ·
Hi!
New here. Registered just to ask a bit around regarding the SMEG/NAC swap.
I browsed AliExpress and found a kit including new NAC radio/head unit and the new type screen.
However.. It does not support DAB+. Here in Norway, they have shut down FM radio so I need the DAB+ function.
Got access to ServiceBox and browsed for a while. Looks like there is a TONNE of different radios/head units, so I gave up figuring it out.
However, I have found a 2018 308SW at a scrapyard and asked for the price for radio/head unit and screen.
To my understanding, it is possible for me to just swap it all and go to my local Peugeot dealer and make them code the new parts to my car?
Is it that simple? Or do I need something more? Like the wire adapter kit from AliExpress?

Hope you understand :confused:

Regards-
Sigurd

#30 ·
Hi!

New here. Registered just to ask a bit around regarding the SMEG/NAC swap.

I browsed AliExpress and found a kit including new NAC radio/head unit and the new type screen.

However.. It does not support DAB+. Here in Norway, they have shut down FM radio so I need the DAB+ function.

Got access to ServiceBox and browsed for a while. Looks like there is a TONNE of different radios/head units, so I gave up figuring it out.

However, I have found a 2018 308SW at a scrapyard and asked for the price for radio/head unit and screen.

To my understanding, it is possible for me to just swap it all and go to my local Peugeot dealer and make them code the new parts to my car?

Is it that simple? Or do I need something more? Like the wire adapter kit from AliExpress?

Hope you understand :confused:

Regards-

Sigurd
If you have the reversing camera make sure you purchase the adapter which is wired for the camera. There's links provided earlier in this thread.

You need to source the NAC units from a 308 for the best result.

#27 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I know I didn't translate my how-to yet but take a look at it translating it using Google Translator or any other translator :)

https://www.forum-peugeot.com/Forum...t-smeg-par-un-nac-sur-308-ajout-bta-2-0.9539/

DO NOT buy a RCC or NAC from the Chinese seller, it is unusable in Europe : No Wifi, the Chinese NAC has the map menu locked with a code the seller can't provide, Calibration is for the Chinese 408 not for the 308, and even with my skills the firmware is missing pictures of European cars and probably other things so it is pretty useless. (I have one at home provided by another French member that changed it and finally bought a European NAC, so I'm playing with it for testing purposes)

You need the adapter or you have make your own, but in theory yes "it is that simple".

In fact it is that simple because I took the time to write a how-to, I had very few informations when I started back in January 2018. The Chinese seller then saw an opportunity and started to make adapters to sell them ... I mentionned his adapters because it is way cheaper than Phonocar adapters that's all (and it is plug-and-play for people with no skills in car electricity)

:thumb:

#29 ·
VLuds user guide helped me greatly and I've got everything working with the new NAC unit.

He has been a great help! Also, I would recommend having a look at my information on changing speakers to the Focal ones found in 3008s. They work perfectly. They're a great upgrade and VERY reasonable price wise. Only £32 per speaker.

FOCAL Speaker Upgrade & Removing Door Trims https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333966

#31 ·
Watching this with interest.

The slowness sometimes of the SMEG & the fact Peugeot are now dragging there feet over releasing map updates for it & the lack of internal memory for the map updates are a good reason to attempt this update.

#33 ·
Is there a part number for the NAC to look out for on Ebay?

I think I might have found a suitable screen.

If I get the NAC coded via your contact would it then just be simple plug & play in to my 308 with the correct adaptor?

#34 ·
Hi.... Part numbers:

DAB Digital Radio: 9821908980
Analogue Radio: 9821908880.

And yes mate once coded, it is literally out with the old and in with the jew. If you have the reversing camera make sure the adapter off Aliexpress is the one wired for it.

#38 · (Edited)
308 SW and 308 Sedan share the same calibration, automatic telecoding using the VIN that is closer (options) to your car will fix the camera settings and car size ;)

Reminder: Do NOT buy a NAC without being sure it comes from your car model, the calibration can not be changed by your dealer, only technical plateform (or me) can change the calibration on the NAC.

#39 ·
Long story short: almost replaced my red 2016 sw GTLine for a blue 2015 combi GTLine (stunning colour and better looking car overall) , but the offer from the dealer was too low. keeping my sw.
Just paid the scrapyard £350 for screen, radio and wires including shipment from a red 2018 sw GTLine. Guessing/hoping things can work out.
Found out I bought the adapter without reverse camera wire. Is it an easy fix to add wires to the harness or is it easier to just buy the right one?

#40 ·
I've got one which will work with the camera mate if you want it? I paid £20 for it but you can have it for £10 if you want it. Just give me a PM.

Don't forget you need the USB and Radio cable adapters.

And if you need it coding I can put you in touch with someone who will do it for fifty quid.

#49 ·
Hello guys. :)

I registered just for this topic.

I want to replace my Smeg+ with the NAC, too.
So i have some questions.

I'm from germany and my vehicle is a 308 II GTi THP 272 pre-facelift from year 2016.

My navigation system is a Smeg+ without DAB+.
Parking sensors and reverse camera are also installed.

I've found an facelift GTi NAC offer on ebay for around ~800€.
Includes touchscreen, head-unit and cd-player.
The seller says, he can already telecode it on my vin.

My questioans are:

1. Is it even possible to pre-configure the NAC (from facelift to pre-facelift) without installation?
Because i've read something about "auto telecoding with another VIN" first before change it to my VIN.
So is it really just plug&play, if i install it?
Or do I still need Diagbox after the installation?

2. I would take the complete cableset from Aliexpress (incl. antenna, usb).
This: Link
One of the quadlock cables are with an composide plug.
I think it does not matter which one I choose, right?

Thanks.:)

#51 ·
Hello guys. :)

I registered just for this topic.

I want to replace my Smeg+ with the NAC, too.

So i have some questions.

I'm from germany and my vehicle is a 308 II GTi THP 272 pre-facelift from year 2016.

My navigation system is a Smeg+ without DAB+.

Parking sensors and reverse camera are also installed.

I've found an facelift GTi NAC offer on ebay for around ~800€.

Includes touchscreen, head-unit and cd-player.

The seller says, he can already telecode it on my vin.

My questioans are:

1. Is it even possible to pre-configure the NAC (from facelift to pre-facelift) without installation?

Because i've read something about "auto telecoding with another VIN" first before change it to my VIN.

So is it really just plug&play, if i install it?

Or do I still need Diagbox after the installation?

2. I would take the complete cableset from Aliexpress (incl. antenna, usb).

This: Link

One of the quadlock cables are with an composide plug.

I think it does not matter which one I choose, right?

Thanks.:)
So for the cable... Option E will do the job.

As for coding...

1. The NAC will require coding using a FACELIFTED models VIN from a car of a similar spec. So in your case, it'll be a facelifted GTi. Then ensure everything is working as it should...

2. After the automatic coding is complete, you then manually enter YOUR cars VIN.

If he can do this for you, there's no reason why you would need to do anything else.

I had my seller do it all for me and I received it and it was literally out with the SMEG, in with the NAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.