Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rear Brake replacement for Peugeot 307

According to the Haynes manual this job can be carried out by a beginner with some experience on cars.

New brake pads cost around £25 for the pair. However a Brake Piston Caliper tool would cost around £20 which you need.

Tools needed

Pliers, 13mm Socket, 15mm spanner, hammer, Brake piston calliper tool, metal wire.

Important (Disclaimer)

If you are carrying out this work and following this procedure then you are carrying out this work at your own risk. No fault, errors or damage can be used as these notes are just for information. YOU USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Chock front wheels

Chock the front wheels and place the car in gear. Release the handbrake. Lift the rear part of the car to allow access to the rear brake. Remove the wheel and for safety place the wheel under the car next to the jack.

Release the handbrake cable
Using a pair of pliers remove the handbrake cable from the metal support bracket, I used a spanner to lever the metal support bracket down as shown in fig 1

Squeeze using a pair of pliers the handbrake cable from the housing and pull outwards as shown in fig 2

Lower guide pin

Undo the lower guide pin bolt using a 15mm socket wrench and a 15mm spanner as shown in fig 3

Caliper

Lift the caliper up and tie a metal wire around a hole and tie it against the brake disc as shown in fig 4

Remove brake pads

You can use a hammer to prise out the brake pads gently. Important not to scratch the brake disc. fig 5

See the next Thread

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replace rear brake pads part 2

Replace new brake pads

Gently remove any debris and replace with new brake pads. After replacing the brake pads, you would need to use a special tool known as a “brake Caliper Piston re wind” to retract the brake piston see fig 6. Either attach a brake bleed kit or open the brake fluid reservoir. Attach the tool, making sure the 2 metal round balls fit into the brake piston head and rewind the Brake Caliper Piston clockwise see fig 7

Remove excess amount of brake fluid by using a brake bleeding kit or using a plastic pipette as shown in fig 8. Important not to allow any air into the brake fluid.

Screw the lid of the brake fluid reservoir; fix the caliper into place followed by the handbrake cable. Press the brake pedal gently few times until pressure has built up.

The job is done and it will save you some money. If you feel that the information was helpful then please add rating to this information as this has taken me time to learn and write this procedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, great step by step guide, have changed brakes on wifes 307 1.6 s (2003) nice easy job:) , but when it come to changing my rear brakes 307 2.0d xsi (2005) had a problem:mad: , the disk and whole assembaly is totally diffrent, the disk is part of the rear hub as 1, so you can get the calliper off the same as described, but there is i internal cir clip holding the disk/hub in place i beleve to the the stub axle which i found inposible to remove, iv a mate who works in a garage he had a look and done the job for me, taking him 2 days to do:eek: , due to the disk/hub having welded itself to the stub axle, removed the stub axle and replaced with new about 30quid i think it was. just to inform you all:thumb: , and the only reson given to me from peugeot tec (who i get on with) was "its to stop people doing it themselves" great thanks peugeot...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rear Brake Discs

Thanks for the tips from all. I am in the process of replacing the discs & pads on my '03' reg 307 se. I have been told by one supplier that there are 2 different rear discs for the 307:
"On the rear they fitted different discs one with a bearing hub and one with not we need to know which is fitted to yours"
The Haynes manual does not mention this. Anybody any idea what the dealer means?
I think the posting from Gazboy may give a clue.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
anomolouswizard said:
Thanks for the tips from all. I am in the process of replacing the discs & pads on my '03' reg 307 se. I have been told by one supplier that there are 2 different rear discs for the 307:
"On the rear they fitted different discs one with a bearing hub and one with not we need to know which is fitted to yours"
The Haynes manual does not mention this. Anybody any idea what the dealer means?
I think the posting from Gazboy may give a clue.
post your vin and someone can check for you

·
Registered
2 Posts
This tips are really great to replace the rear brake pads.I have never ever tried to replace my brakes, I have always been to mechanic for that. But after seeing your post I think I will try to replace as since few days I am facing some problems with my rear brake and I am thinking to change it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I need my rear brake pads changing. Ive only ever been able to do front brake pads. With this guide I think I will give it a go. Dont have a brake piston tool so will have to buy one.

How much will I be saving, what would a mechanic charge for the brake pads.

Also need to change the handbrake cable, hows this done?

·
Registered
301 Posts
i think i need to change my brake pads, maybe rear and front....when/how do you know if they need changing? why are rear break pads/discs more expensive (is one used more than the other?)....

should i change the discs as well, or is that unnecessary?

ive got a 307 hdi 1.6 2005, is it an easy job?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just registered to say thanks for this handy guide and the really useful photos. I'm not a complete amateur but by no means an expert and I'd never changed the brakes on any car I've ever owned before. Thanks. :thumb:

Having said that, I used the instructions to replace the *front* pads on my *308* but they did the job nicely. To anyone considering changing their own brakes for the first time, I'd say that if you can follow instructions you can do it.

To anyone doing that I'd recommend putting some time aside in case the wheels are stuck on :rolleyes: and also to remember to check you haven't introduced any air into the fluid *before* you put the wheels back on... :nono:

Oh, and do it at a time of year where it doesn't go dark at half past four. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again. I learnt a lot just by changing the front pads. The back pads will be due soon - does anyone know if the rear pistons on a 308 are threaded or can I get away with using a G clamp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanx for the pics - Shortly will be changing the rear pads on my recently purchased 2007 308 HDi 1.6 FAP Sport. Previous to this had I changed the rear pads on my Scenic phase II - they were exactly the same set-up, one piston screwed in clockwise and the other side anti-clockwise. Did it without using wind back tool - but I am in the process of buying one this time first before starting the job, should hopefully make the job more "enjoyable".

Hopefully Haynes will publish a manual for the 308 soon.

Anyone any thoughts on whether a 307 manual would suffice in the meantime ? as both models appear to be pretty much similar to me.

Thanx

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi folks -I need some advice for changing my pads..

I took off the rear wheel and there was a star spanner slot there -
(Do I need to go near that?)

Also the Brake Piston Caliper tool - do I need any particular one?
Will this one do?

Any help will be much appreciated.

(I hear grinding when I drive now! (LOL - time for a fix!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi folks -I need some advice for changing my pads..

I took off the rear wheel and there was a star spanner slot there -
(Do I need to go near that?)

Also the Brake Piston Caliper tool - do I need any particular one?
Will this one do?

Any help will be much appreciated.

(I hear grinding when I drive now! (LOL - time for a fix!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
That will do the job perfectly ! - so much easier than "fluffing" about with mole grips or the like trying to wind back the piston into the caliper,

Done mine about two weeks ago after purchasing one of these kits, took about 20 mins each wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rear Brake replacement for Peugeot 307

Lower guide pin

Undo the lower guide pin bolt using a 15mm socket wrench and a 15mm spanner as shown in fig 3
Question - Do you loosen with the spanner or socket?

Because be 13mm Lower guide pin covered with the socket is almost rounded and I want to exert as little force as possible onto it.

Anyone...
Thanks
Regards
Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts