Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 1.6Vti 207SW - has happened once to me but don't want it to happen again!

Symptom is that you insert the key and try to turn over the engine. Starter motor doesn't turn but you get a fast clicking (about three times a second) and lots of flashing dashboard lights while it's doing it.

When I say "clicking" sound it actually sounds a bit like the starter motor trying to engage and then immediately disengaging. I found this video of the symptom so you can see and hear exactly what I'm talking about...

What I did was I disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. Reconnected and the car started perfectly.

I would like a more definitive explanation of what was happening and what the real cause was. Anyone recognise this issue?

Regards, Ivor

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When 'it happened to me once', did it start after this event without requiring a jump start or anything else?

If yes, I would remove/clean positive and negative battery connections, main connection between battery positive and starter motor solenoid, and main ground connections from battery->body->motor.

If it required a jump start, get battery properly load tested, but still do the + and - check/clean as above anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stripe and Will!

Bad earth or bad battery are the two obvious ones of course. Classic causes of a classic symptom.

What got my brain wondering was because all I did was disconnect battery positive and reconnect and it started again first turn of the key. The positive terminal looked clean and good and the locking tab mechanism on the cable end feels nice and 'tight'.

Starter motor spins up fast and no dimming of lights at low revs so battery and charging appears OK.

I shall seek and destroy by checking all earthing points but as I say it did this ONCE and once only. Always starts with first turn of the key, runs like a dream.

I guess with these complicated cars full of sensors and software it gets even the most seasoned car enthusiast suspecting all sorts of things with the most obvious coming last ;)

Regards,
Ivor

·
Registered
870 Posts
think a cell in the battery starts going bad, car will start most times then clicking starts.
Have noticed over the years that letting a battery go totally flat seems to kill them quicker.Many places do a free battery check a home multimeter check is no good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts