Peugeot Forums banner

Repaired my Loose Mirror

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  neecola 
#1 ·
I got the mirror off and while twisting it one way and another it suddenly moved and came apart, it seems the loose part should not normally move when the mirror turns, there is like a metal plate with tongues on which slot in and twist to attach to the plastic housing, this joint had for some reason worn although it should never move.

I have taken some pictures to show the mirror coming apart, I believe the best way to achieve this is to have the mirror in the open out position and then apply force as if trying to push it back in towards the car and it should suddenly release(if it doesn't break first).

Although I removed the mirror from the door first, I think this repair could be done without disturbing the door card.

Once the mirror was off I tapped the three 4mm holes in the metal part out to M5 and then used a 5.1mm drill to drill into the three slots in the plastic bit and out the bottom of the outer case, I then drilled 8.5mm into the bottom to allow the head of the M5 caphead screw to pass through and grip against the inner plastic.

Then put the mirror back on and twist a little to align the holes, before inserting the screws which shouldn't be overtightened. It may help to put a little point on the end to help them go into the metal part. This is where taking the mirror off makes it easier.

After this the mirror is now very rigid in the open position and operates as it should. In fact I am wondering whether to do the passenger side as this has a very slight wobble.

The finished repair is hardly noticeable as the screw heads are on the underside.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First I want to thank you for posting this it helped so much!

So for the fix without removing whole mirror while, correct it can be done, it is a little finicky but doable, and maybe easier than taken off as the base of the mirror is held sturdy on the door.

So disassembly it is as you said a bit of magic and believing :D I was wiggling it on the place where it makes a loud click and in one left and right moves as it clicked it just popped of, I was also pushing a bit toward the car and up.

I didn't manage to secure one screw in as I probably didn't tap the thread 100% straight but I am more than happy with 2 screws

Original problem that I was fixing was loud noise when mirror was opening, and fixing wobbly mirror become side quest, as it seems that it would be pretty difficult to get to the motor and the gears, but what I did is flipped the mirror upside down and poured liberal amount of wd40 in the rotating assembly and lo and behold noise disappeared. Pretty happy for a couple hours of work

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Plant
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Plant Aircraft Sky Aviation Aerospace manufacturer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.