Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an abs fault on my 307 2.0 2003 hdi, it was put on the diagnostics at my local garage, and they said it was the abs pump, i didnt bother too much as it was just a fault that popped up now and again, but now it is on permanently, although the brakes seem to work fine, i know i need to get it sorted, but if i take the fuse out, will it still show the warning signs on the dashboard?

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Taking the fuse out would have the same affect as the light being on it disables the abs if the light is on its disabled anyway !!

ABS is an EXTRA part added to the braking system so the brakes are going to work fine even with the light on it just means the ABS does not work car still stops fine regardless.

You sound like you dont fully understand what ABS is so just trying to clarify.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking the fuse out would have the same affect as the light being on it disables the abs if the light is on its disabled anyway !!

ABS is an EXTRA part added to the braking system so the brakes are going to work fine even with the light on it just means the ABS does not work car still stops fine regardless.

You sound like you dont fully understand what ABS is so just trying to clarify.
Thanks for taking the time to reply reliable406...
yeah i understand what abs is, i have had it come on when driving on ice, i can feel it judder..but the way i drive, it is seldomly needed. and of course me being a certain age, the cars we drove never had it..
what with the sensors getting all crudded up, and now it looks like the abs pump may have thrown the towel in, i am thinking its just too much hassle, i am going to pop down to my local garage tomorrow and let the guy have a look at it, it just seems to be a pain for what it is

·
2,506 Posts
Hi...I can remember driving cars with brake shoes all round......but now abs is part of the safety system of our cars and needs to be working..sorry.....my 307 abs light was on due to rust under the sensor making the gap too big...I hope its as easy as mine was...good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi...I can remember driving cars with brake shoes all round......but now abs is part of the safety system of our cars and needs to be working..sorry.....my 307 abs light was on due to rust under the sensor making the gap too big...I hope its as easy as mine was...good luck
Thanks.....
i have had warning lights saying my abs was faulty before, and indeed my sensors were the problem, but that was a few years ago now, and from what i recall the warning lights on the dash were different from what they are now (but i may be wrong)....i had it plugged into the garage computer last year and was told it was a faulty abs pump, i may ask them to check again, and if it is the pump, i will look for a used one
Thanks for the input :thumb:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you get a secondhand one or a new one it has to be coded to the car. Better off sending the one on the car to be fixed. I have the details if you want to try that. It would turn out cheaper than a new one and without the worry of the used one being just as bad as yours!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get a secondhand one or a new one it has to be coded to the car. Better off sending the one on the car to be fixed. I have the details if you want to try that. It would turn out cheaper than a new one and without the worry of the used one being just as bad as yours!
Thanks for the info madbadandold...i get where you are coming from, but sending it off means the car will be off the road quite a while, whereas if i take a chance on a used pump, the guy at the garage should sort it on the same day, and i have seen them on ebay for about £40 or £50...so its not going to be loads of money down the swannie if it fails ...
thanks for the heads up though mate :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They turn them round in a week. If they find nothing wrong there is only postage charges to pay. Have you got pp2000 to code it then?
i dont even know what pp2000 is, i was just thinking that the garage would know what they were doing, i have just called on my way from work, and they didnt mention that there would be a problem with any codes:confused:

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
If your speedo works then your ABS unit is sort of working !

They DO NOT need coding in as long as your fitting the same version its simple enough the only programing that sometimes needs done is the wheel size

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i have had a failure on a 307 with the abs when the speedo still worked. i couldnt communicate with it at all on the diagnostics

when i had a ford years and years ago. my missus rang to say the handbrake lights stuck on and the speedos died. only time ive seen a fully dead one

as long as you get the right type abs pump (theres loads) they dont need coding

you need to get it plugged into pp2000 first to save all the hassle

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I stand corrected on the coding. I read that on the firms website that overhaul the units so perhaps it was a white lie on their part. I know more modern cars have gone down that route as my Tiguan suffered a Limp home occurrence, luckily whilst just in warranty, and a valve on the engine had to be replaced. I asked them if I could have done it and they said that it had to be coded!

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
NEVER believe anything said regarding coding its usually bollox and it mainly relates to NEW parts anyway used parts are already coded as when they say coding its more accurately activation a new part comes blank and needs to be set to suit the car once set it stays set.

Coding injectors for example NOT essential its only for fuel refinement it will not stop the engine starting if they are not coded.

Coding EGR valve same thing it is just setting the travel range of the valve and it WILL learn itself anyway !!

Again a used valve would not need coding it will learn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update in case anyone comes across this thread with same issue,
I purchased a used like for like abs pump of the internet for the ridiculous price of £15 with a 30 day guarantee, my local mechanic fitted it with no problem for another ridiculous price of £50....as of now its working perfect, fingers crossed i dont get no more warning lights, thanks for everyone's input :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts