Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughters 407 shredded the fan belt and after a AC compressor seizure. I fixed the AC problem, but parts of the belt has wrapped itself around the sttering pump pulley axel and it looks like it has destroyed the seal/gasket since oil is dripping out there now.

The center bolt of the pulley it a torx, but TX50 is too small and TX55 too big. None of my local shops has anything in between, anyone that can help me on what kind of tool I need here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thought so as well, and tried 8 that was too small and 10 that was too big. Got hold of a 9 allen that also was too big. If you look closely you see that it has the torx indents, so I think it is a torx 52-53 or something I have never seen before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have looked closer and googled and I agree it is not a Torx, but it cannot be an Allen either. There are rounded corners and not straight lines between them. AAnd as mentioned allen 8 is too small and 9 is too big...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, that was helpful to not waste time trying to take it off :)

Any ide how to proceed to fix the leak, it comes from the shaft and must be a result of the threads from the fan belt that wrapped around it. Have fixed something similar on a different car many years ago, and it had a seal behind the pulley.

·
5,115 Posts
the 407 has electric steering pump,so this must be a different pulley !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then it must be different from different models, this is a 1.8 petrol and it is not electric, for sure. Maybe the diesels have electric?

·
5,115 Posts
Then it must be different from different models, this is a 1.8 petrol and it is not electric, for sure. Maybe the diesels have electric?
Yea I've never had any dealings with the 1.8 petrol so probably

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a mecanic, but having owned English and French cars for 30 years I have learned a lot :)

Have got a pulley removel kit and will try to remove the pulley tomorrow. If I find a broken seal there, any idea who sells a replacement? Have searched, but not found anything. Are there any parts lists for the 407? I am used to Range Rover where where I have a workshop manual and very good online parts lists down to the smallest screw. Cannot find anything even close to that for the 407.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Before you even go to the bother the seal is unlikely to be available as peugeot will want to sell you a whole pump the pump will be the same as other models that do use a pump rather than electric 306 406 expert van some citroens etc

Problem is most do now use the electric pumps or electric racks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the info. Yes I guess they want to sell complete units... Have found a gasket set for £50 on ebay, that is for a full refurbish of all gaskets in the pump. Cannot post link here since I am a 50 year old junior member on the forum:rolleyes:
I can get reconditioned pumps for £100 here in Norway so that may be the solution. Was hoping to find the ~£2 gasket somewhere and fix it quickly, but I realize it might not be possible.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Yes i agree the seal would be the cheap option but to be fair the pumps are pretty good and rarely fail so not much of a market for repair parts unlike your range rover where everything fails :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts