Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've taken out the double passenger seat from my 2010 Expert with a plan to replace it with a single. Since disconnecting an electric cable from underneath it (which I assumed was the seatbelt warning light) I'm getting a seatbelt/airbag dash warning. I assumed this was not an issue as when I put the single seat in everything would be ok again.

Just been into the dealer for something else and been advised that in the current situation all my air bags are disabled! Is this true?

They're also saying that I can't do what I'm wanting as the wire I undid was something to do with airbags and the central pretensioner??

I should add that there are no airbags in the seat or anywhere in the passenger compartment.

I can't believe I'm the first person to ever switch the double passenger seat to a single and can't believe the system can't still operate without that one cable??

Any advice welcome!

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you have disconnected the seat belt pre tensioner the airbag system will be disabled and the light will remain on.

You could unbolt the pre tensioner from the twin seat and secure it from damage/knocks underneath the single seat plugged in.

The light should go out , not ideal but would fix your situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers - is there not a diagnostic way to tell the van to ignore that particular error?

·
Registered
481 Posts
If the dealer supplies the vehicle with a single seat it may be possible to configure and remove the second seat.

Would need plugging in to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. simonp820.

I'm in the exactly the same situation as you, swapping double seat for a single one..
Infact I've just replied you a previous post about separating the blue plug.
The only solution to this, that I can think of is just as the other guy said, take the reel out of the double seat and store it under the single seat. I may resort to this unless you happen to have come up with a better solution.. I don't really want to do it as I'd like to sell the double seat intacted..

Any insight would be great..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Chris I'm in the exact same position with no better solution - in fact I've gone back to the double seat to make the van roadworthy again - until I work out what do to.

I (perhaps naively) thought the 'system' could be 'reconfigured' to be told that the centre seat didn't exist and to 'ignore' the error. Whether this is possible or, it appears to be beyond the skills of my local Peugeot dealer at least.

For the time being I'm going to stick with the double seat :(

Please let me know how you get on - you doing a campervan conversion by any chance?!

Hi. simonp820.

I'm in the exactly the same situation as you, swapping double seat for a single one..
Infact I've just replied you a previous post about separating the blue plug.
The only solution to this, that I can think of is just as the other guy said, take the reel out of the double seat and store it under the single seat. I may resort to this unless you happen to have come up with a better solution.. I don't really want to do it as I'd like to sell the double seat intacted..

Any insight would be great..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep I'm doing a campervan conversion, and so far have failed at the 1st and what I thought was a simple hurdle!! :eek:

I might see how easy it is to take out the double seat seatbelt reel..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I'm doing a campervan conversion, and so far have failed at the 1st and what I thought was a simple hurdle!! :eek:

I might see how easy it is to take out the double seat seatbelt reel..
lol - everything else I've done so far has gone ok so don't worry too much ;)

I've insulated, plylined and carpeted throughout and done a few minor repairs - excited about getting up to the mountains!

Stay in touch.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Our taxis have no front passenger seat so it must be possible using planet to configure the airbag system to ignore lack of pretensioner as the vans are supplied from peugeot with 2 front seats prior to conversion into taxis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our taxis have no front passenger seat so it must be possible using planet to configure the airbag system to ignore lack of pretensioner as the vans are supplied from peugeot with 2 front seats prior to conversion into taxis
That's exactly what I thought reliable406 - just a matter of finding someone who knows their way around the system a bit better than the guys at my local dealer ;)

Will do some more research.

Cheers!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If its not a simple fit a new part and thats it sorted the dealers are no good as they are just that fitters :)

You need someone with planet local to you who can spend some time playing around in the bsi/airbag system ecus to find how its disabled

·
6,576 Posts
If you cannot get the airbag control unit re-configured you can purchase from ebay and a few other places a simulator (most of the time just a 1/2 watt 2.2 ohm resistor) to plug in which fools the airbag unit into thinking the tensioner is still connected.

Some people think it is a bodge but lots of top companies use them eg the Mini Cooper Works with the racing seats have them fitted as the side airbags are removed.

I do not know on your vehicle if there is a sensor for seat occupancy and/or sensor in seat belt stalk for belt latched as well as a tensioner which would also need to be bypassed

Reactions: 214342

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks windy - that sounds like a perfect option! Do you have an ebay link for what I would need?

I do not know on your vehicle if there is a sensor for seat occupancy and/or sensor in seat belt stalk for belt latched as well as a tensioner which would also need to be bypassed
Will check this out next time I go for a ride - it's tucked up in the garage at the moment ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you cannot get the airbag control unit re-configured you can purchase from ebay and a few other places a simulator (most of the time just a 1/2 watt 2.2 ohm resistor) to plug in which fools the airbag unit into thinking the tensioner is still connected.

Some people think it is a bodge but lots of top companies use them eg the Mini Cooper Works with the racing seats have them fitted as the side airbags are removed.

I don't consider it to be a bodge to be fair. I have used this method after both head air bags went off after a smash until I could find some reasonably priced.

It is also the recognised 'unofficial' repair method when the seat pressure mat buggers up on the BMW E46 passenger seat.

Basically I went to Maplins and bought 10 x 1.7 ohm resistors (£1!) and soldered each end onto a piece of wire , slipped on some heat shrink wrap and covered the whole lot with that. Then removed the sheathing on the head bags wiring and soldered the resistor in place. It need's a good contact so don't even think about tape or the dreaded scotch locks !

The Airbag ECU works by testing the resistance on each part of the system , when the resistance reads back within range it is 'fooled' into thinking that the head bag for instance sake is complete and unfired then the light goes out.

Simples , cheap fix for a couple of quid.

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO THIS THOUGH AS WITH ANY ADVICE ON HERE IT IS AT YOUR RISK ! NO RESPONSIBILITY TAKEN. :thumb:

·
6,576 Posts
Normal risks of making mods to any electrical system. If you do not carry out works correctly possible damage to electrical system, air bag ecu and injury if a airbag deploys due to incorrect wiring/short circuit.

Low risks if you follow simple rules, check twice before you do anything and make sure battery is disconnected and left for 15 mins to allow airbag ecu to discharge before working on airbag system.

Reactions: 214342

·
Registered
481 Posts
Also DO NOT ever use a power probe or similar on airbag wiring. As advised by Windy , disconnect battery and allow the circuits/ECU to disharge first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've now fitted the single seat to the passenger side, removed the seatbelt reel from the double seat and plugged it in and stored it under the seat. No warnings on the dash now. Think it'll have to stay like this until a better solution is found.

(Romoving the seatbelt reel was straight forward, just unzip the rear of the seat and then there is one bolt holding the reel and one at the other end under the seat)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's great news Drive2xL - so technically you could fit it back to the double seat again without any damage?

Can I ask where you got your single seat from? Is it a match for the drivers? I've really struggled finding one.

And are you going to fit swivel mounts next?!

Photos would be great too ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts