Peugeot Forums banner

remove fap/dpf help please

35K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  xlineiain 
#1 ·
I have been quoted £400 to remove the particle filter and remap on my car as the particle filter light is on. The filter has been cleaned i have discovered the eolys fluid is very low and i have been quoted by Peugoet £250 4litres to refill supply only. Then i would need to have the light turned off by diagnostics. trying to figure out what is the best course of action.Is it best to remove it and pay the extra? do you think this is a good price? can any one personally recommend someone Birmingham area? I have a mechanic who i use but im not sure if they have done this before. im hoping for the light to go off after all of this!

G
#2 ·
Betty.... restrain yourself :D :lol:

It cost me half of what you have been quoted to have the tank refilled and counters reset etc, and that was a Peugeot dealer too..... so your Peugeot dealer is taking the Michael!

#9 · (Edited)
Be careful about getting your dpf removed as i had mine done but it keeps regenerating due to existing faults. I was told after the fact by the dpf remover that they shouldnt of done the car with its existing issues which sort of defeats the point as dpf removal is supposed to get rid of those issues. My car has no issues btw, they just couldnt do the job properly

Saying that though, my car does drive a lot better now, just once a week has a day of annoying regens then gone again for a week. Oh and i had mine remapped too

#16 ·
I know Bettyswallocks recommends knocking out the DPF but I cleaned mine out with a pressure washer and topped up the fuel additive by using the guides on this site. Turns out the fuel cap sensor was the root cause of the problem and I did need the help of my tame independant mechanic to finally get to the bottom of things. Final bill was a day or so of my own time with lots of swearing (my neighbour has a pit in his barn) and £180 from the mechanic which included supply of 2 litres of additive and top up kit found lurking in the back of his workshop, which I'm told is more than enough to last a while and supply and fitting the sensor and an ERG valve which I managed to blow due to the pressure build up.

I'm sure that with the help of the folks on this site you can sort the problems out for much less than you've been quoted. I'd offer myself but a bit far away.

#17 ·
Thanks for the reply Ali.G.

I was toying with the idea of just cleaning mine out as im a dab hand at DIY mechanics and have all the tools. But the problem will just come back again, plus I don't have any of the electronic wizadry laptop equipment as ive read you need to rest counters and ecu's etc?

#19 ·
Am liking the sound of that, if anyone can help me out there will be a few beer tokens and a home made curry as a reward lol :lol:

Is it difficult to take the dpf off and clean it? im a little short on cash at the mo so this would only be a temp measure, i would prefer to remove it totally but Tip Top want £450 for the job (hardware & software)

G
#20 ·
Nige65 is Birmingham based.... best to get in contact with him :thumb:

I think the hardest part is getting to it and removing it. You then got to be careful when cleaning as the material you are cleaning out is classified as toxic, I do believe.

Is yours the 2.0 or the 1.6?

#21 ·
Cool, will try and contact him :thumb:

It's the 1.6 (110) which is a nightmare of an engine to work on, just changing the air filter was a mission in itself!

PS sorry to Rachael for the tread hijack but this has also helped me :thumb:

G
#22 ·
Thats a bit different then.... its underneath on mine in the exhaust, but on the 1.6 its on the front of the engine I do believe. Have you got pics of it, and the fittings etc? If not, post last 8 digits of your VIN and I'll get you a pic :thumb:

#25 ·
I took the dpf off a 206 1.6 hdi last week to clean it. All in all you should have it done and back together in 3 hours. I took a dozen pics or so in case anyone wanted a guide putting together so if anyone can tell me how/where to post them they might help you.
However, I have not got planet (think I will be ordering it this weekend) so the lights still on and I am not sure that the cleaning part has worked.
On the 206 the dpf runs down between the engine and radiator. It joins to the turbo and the cat.
A decent socket set, spanners (12-20mm) if memory serves and a few screwdrivers are all you need.

G
#31 ·
Others have used water, pressure washer in some cases, and they've left water running through it for quite a long time - in both directions due to the design of the filter. It is best to dry it out with compressed air if possible as you want it as dry as you can before putting back in or the new soot will stick to it straight away. If its nearly dry, a drive will then soon finish drying it out :thumb:

Just be careful taking it all apart and cleaning..... break something or damage it and you could end up going backwards and replacing it after all. Be careful with the probes.

G
#33 · (Edited)
Don't have the heat gun on too high a temp.... I know the exhaust temp will be high, but not sure just how high those guns get up to.

Not 100% sure about the probes on the 1.6... I know on the 2.0 there is a temp probe built into the CAT/DPF, and this needs to be handled carefully. As I can't see it on mine due to being underneath right in the middle tucked up into the floor pan, I'm not really sure how the pressure pipes actually fix into the DPF.

If you do manage to do it, take some pics and post up on here.... be beneficial for others too :thumb:

Edit: pic shows there is a temp sensor plugged into it....

Attachments

#37 ·
I'll just be giving it a good clean out this time round as i don't have the electronics to reset ecu's etc. Ive heard that the car will go into limp mode if I was to remove the dpf filter part, not sure how this would affect the drive of the car as I need it to commute to work on a daily basis.

#39 ·
DPF pipe removed and cleaned out today, thought it would have been more difficult than it was. Took 3 hours from start to finish, car runs a little smoother and has a bit more poke after 2000 revs, then again I drilled 6 holes into the FAP section!

Have taken loads of pics, will do a write up and guide and post it here tomorrow. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.