Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres another for you. When I bought my 407 unfortunately there was only 1 remote key fob supplied the previous owner only ever had one he said. The one that Ive got is looking pretty shabby the rubberpad is split around all the buttons through persistant use. Ive searched on ebay and found many key fobs for sale and key fob repair kits / cases. I thought I would look to purchase an additional key from ebay replace the key with a newly cut blade key only to be told the following. Old Peugeot Keys apparently cannot be recoded, each key is programmed specifically for your car and if you need a new one its a stealer part and they will cut n program and supply a new key. Am I correct on this thinking?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ive been in touch with an Auto Locksmith last night. He has confirmed a coded key for a Peugeot 407 cannot be recoded. Its a one time only deal. He said people who buy keys off ebay are wasting there money as they cannot be recoded at all. He did say I should be able to purchase a new remote keyfob case housing and just refurbish my current key. That still only leaves me with one key. I called into Peugeot Main Stealer yesterday a new key, cut n programmed for my car £170 ouch!!!!!!!! The auto locksmith said he will do one for £135.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had my only key for my 407 fall apart in my hands. I was offered a new one by the dealer for about the £170 mark. However, what I did was buy a key off eBay I took the new key apart, took out the the Printed Circuit Board and put mine in - an easy enough job; it's a straight fit.

I now needed to put my blade in the new key. My car is an 05 model and the eBay key was from (I think) a later model. (Just after Pug realised that they fall apart in your hands.) Unfortunately, the new keys are thinner at the hinge than the old ones, so some filing down was required. Nothing to technical but do make sure you get a reasonably smooth finish.

The fitting of the spring for retracting and holding it is also a bit of an intelligence test but I solved it after a while.:lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is one of the reasons for chaning the spring mechanism on my key is broken. The key does not retract into the body of thye remote it sticks out it still flips to some sort of fashion but its not good. The rubbers on the keypad are all split its just waiting to fall apart then Im knackered. There was a genuine key on ebay last night brand new from peugeot £32 now thats a good deal but I cant buy anything till i get paid next week. Just hope theres another BNIB genuine peugeot key fob in offer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Before mine fell apart, it was looking quite sorry. I followed the prices and items on eBay and the £32 is about right - there's always one or two for sale. When your piggy-bank is full, there'll be a key waiting! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to fit spring for retacting and holding the blade

PureJoe said:
I had my only key for my 407 fall apart in my hands. I was offered a new one by the dealer for about the £170 mark. However, what I did was buy a key off eBay I took the new key apart, took out the the Printed Circuit Board and put mine in - an easy enough job; it's a straight fit.

I now needed to put my blade in the new key. My car is an 05 model and the eBay key was from (I think) a later model. (Just after Pug realised that they fall apart in your hands.) Unfortunately, the new keys are thinner at the hinge than the old ones, so some filing down was required. Nothing to technical but do make sure you get a reasonably smooth finish.

The fitting of the spring for retracting and holding it is also a bit of an intelligence test but I solved it after a while.:lol:
Any info as to how to fit spring so as to hold the retracted blade would be much appreciated

·
5,102 Posts
could always try what i did,went into a local dealers,told the young lad behind the counter my woes of a knackered keyfob he shrugged his shoulders BUT the more experienced man beside him reached under the counter and produced a bag of pug keys took the front of one and said 'there you go' is that what your after

off i went feeling very good about pug dealers:nod: :nod:

Reactions: michaelk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Remote key fob problems

I too have suffered from the broken key fob saga and have read comments about how to get this issue sorted.

I am about to buy a replacement key fob on ebay for a nominal price. The fob will take my 407 internals but doesnt come with a blade. This is ok as all I need to do is put my one into it. The sticky point is getting the button mechanism out as I have already tried to do this on another key fob with no success. If someone has the instructions that will tell me how to get the button mechanism out that would be really useful to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Shiner

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I believe you need a degree is astro physics to get the key blade flip working. Im still searching for a decentfob at a reasonable price. Im still concerned about only having 1 key. I have been quoted £140 for a replacement key and fob from an Auto Key Locksmith better than the £175 + from Peugeot let me know how it goes. What did you pay on fleabay for the for the spare fob?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've prepared an illustrated guide (Microsoft Word) for swapping over your own PCB and key shank to another shell. Unfortunately it is 750Kb in size and I can't post it.

If you want to PM me with an email address, I'll send it to you. :thumb:

·
Registered
387 Posts

You could always take a screen shot & crop it or use the snipping tool with vista and use an image host like photobucket/ imageshack or lookpic & post the images just like the one above ^^

·
Registered
534 Posts
Buying a 2nd hand key off eBay or similar. Part 1

Obviously make sure that you get a key with the same number of switches on the body. There is a ‘CE’ number inside the groove where the key fits – mine happens to be 0523 and it’s a 3 button key.

All you actually want is the new shell. To achieve this you need to transfer (the shank of) the key and the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) from the original key to the new shell.

The photos are mostly taken from my old key fob and show some typical damage to a failing key shell.

Fig 1: Note the hole for the spring pin to secure the shank. This is only of any use if all you are changing is the shank of the key. It is better to transfer the old Printed Circuit Board and all of the old key to the new shell if possible. There seems to be 2 types of key shanks.

If you have type A and the shank is type B, you may have to keep the B type keyhead and exchange shanks. If so, tap out the spring pin with a thin drift. At this stage it might be necessary to file down the end of the shank a little to fit it in the socket. Replace the spring pin.

Fig 2: Opening the shell. Put a coin, Penny, Euro cent, in the slot and twist.

Fig 3 & 4: This is what you should have. There is a slight difference between PCBs but basically, they are interchangeable. Do not break off any positioning lugs!

Fig 5: The groove is for the end of the spring which is bent over at each end across the diameter (Fig 6) There is a similar groove inside the button. The spring is tensioned when it is twisted anti-clockwise. i.e. the key is folded in.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
When assembling, the idea is to have the spring at minimum tension (That's 'minimum' NOT 'No' tension) when the shank is out and in position to insert in the ignition.

Fig 8: Place the button and the spring into the PCB side. Ensure the button lugs are in their recesses in the shell and stay there and that the spring has located into the groove inside the button. Place the keyhead over the spring and button so that the key is pointing outwards and locate the button lugs in the keyhead.

Fig 9: Bring the other half of the shell onto the spring as shown; again make sure the spring has connected with the groove in the shell (fig 5).

Now for the bit that makes you tear out your hair. Press down lightly to keep the spring in contact with the groove in the shell. Turn the shell anti-clockwise until it is lined up with the lower shell. Keep the keyhead in position (i.e. facing the right way and in contact with the PCB part of the shell) and make sure the button lugs are always in place and that the PCB has not moved. Bring the two together, fiddle with the keyhead to ensure that it is still pointing outwards and press until a satisfying click is heard.

Test. If the action is weak or non-existent, the spring slipped whilst you were rotating it – repeat.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Replacement key fob

The instructions look great. Thanks for that. Prices for a replacement fob on Ebay are between £20-£35 including delivery/postage. I am going to give this a try as I dont really want to fork out £150 for a spare key.

Thanks again.

Shiner.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have some instructions provided by Purejoe if you still want them. PM me and i will send via email to you

·
Registered
534 Posts
Last time I asked, transponder codes were £28 from Peugeot. (Did I read on the forum of some part number you can order for about £6 or £7 that has this on it?)

The problem is that most people want to repair a physically broken key shell or get or a spare key. The things that make people uncertain are (i) having the key cut (Blank shanks are cheap on eBay) and (ii) getting the circuit board to be compatible with your car.

Any idea where to get Peugeot keys, of the type above, cut?

Can any key from a given model (assuming it has the same number of buttons) be re-coded?

1 - 20 of 207 Posts