Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick question,
I've just had my 307 2.0hdi 90
Remapped by TDITUNING and I'm really pleased so far.
I have blanked off the two pipes that feed into the solenoid for the EGR operation.
Do I have to blank off the vacant ports on the solenoid for any reason other than to stop crap getting in?
Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've just rang HDI tuning again to ask for advice and the guy said you should never disconnect the pipes from the solenoid as it is the vacuum pipe to the brake servo.

G

·
0 Posts
True - if there is an open ended pipe then you will lose vacuum and possibly the brakes..!!

If you have 2 ports, just loop one to the other with some leftover pipe, sealing the system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, I'm not familiar with how this sort of system works.
Do both pipes go to the EGR or is one EGR and one brakes?
Where is the air pressure supplied to the servo etc?

Many thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Okay.

The vacuum pump supplies vacuum for the whole car, there are probably about 2 different outlets from the system to feed different solenoids ( vacuum powered valves ) for the EGR, air doser, servo etc.

As this is a vacuum system, if there is a hole or an open pipe then the vacuum that should open/close a solenoid, or power the servo is weakened as the vacuum pump is pulling in fresh air through the hole, not the sealed air in the pipes. Much the same as the suction pipe on a Hoover, if there is a hole in it then the suction is reduced.

The servo will have a direct feed from the vacuum pump, and normally the other outlets come from a 3 way fixing so the servo feed isn't affected. The 2 open spouts on this fixing will let fresh air into the system so they need to be blocked, using a short piece of pipe and putting each end onto one spout will in effect seal the system.

As for the EGR, there is a pipe that goes to the flying saucer shape on top. Removing this pipe disables the EGR ( no vacuum to open/close it ) but then the pipe will let fresh air in, so this end needs to be sealed, use a screw or something.

I have just edited my post as I see you have an Hdi90, a much more simple vacuum system than the other models.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the lesson! Lol
Whilst waiting for a reply to this I started looking into it a bit.
I located the vacuum pump on the end of the camshaft, this has two pipes coming out of it. As far as I can tell one shoots off backwards to supply the brake servo the other goes to the EGR solenoid.
The other pipe connected to the solenoid disappears towards the exhaust and inlet which I assume is the position of the EGR.
My only question is:-
If I join the two pipes together with some tubing then will I not have a permanently open EGR? As it seems all I will have done it by-passed the solenoid valve(switch).
Many thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Yes.

One pipe to the Servo, one to the EGR solenoid with a second pipe from solenoid to EGR. If you bypass the solenoid then you may have a permanently open EGR, but if you unplug the pipe from solenoid to EGR and put a bung in the open EGR end of it, you will starve the EGR of vacuum, which will keep it closed.

Don't worry about the solenoid spouts, as long as its connected electrically its all good. You can even keep the pipes in place, it makes no difference if the EGR is unplugged.

I didn't realise you had such a simple vacuum system - nice and easy. I was guessing you had more outlets on the vacuum system which were unplugged, which I now know is wrong - sorry if I got a bit carried away...:nono:

I reread your first post and realised I got a bit confused at first, but it was just me being a div.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had an EGR delete carried out as part of the remap which is why I'm unplugging bits! but I don't know why the threads I have read even suggest removing and blanking pipes at all!
Unless my solenoid had a problem before the remap then it's always going to be closed.
or maybe the solenoid is permanently open and when the electrical plug is actually connected, the Ecu gives it a signal to close it when necessary.
I don't know! It's all getting a bit boring!

G

·
0 Posts
Ha ha, I do tend to bore people...:D

The ECU needs to see its plugged in electrically to keep happy - it will tell the solenoid to open ( apply vacuum ) and open the EGR when ticking over or on the over-run.

No vacuum, EGR stays shut regardless of solenoid instruction/condition/failure..:thumb:

Blanking plates are used if the EGR is stuck open, or too coked up with soot to close properly, which is a by product of force feeding the engine its own gases.....:mad:

*yawn*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iv got a 2.0 hdi 110. Would it be the same procedure for mine? So far I have disconnected both vacuum hoses on the solenoid and stuck a screw in both.
I have also unplugged the blue connector just below the solenoid. Reading this post im worried my brakes wont work as effectively...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi, you need to plug the blue connector back in, so the ECU knows it is there.

Plug the 2 vacuum pipes back on to the solenoid, and remove the one on the EGR from the EGR end, blank this one instead :thumb:

Your brakes may only be affected if there is a loss of vacuum - you would basically have a stiff brake pedal and rubbish brakes, but the servo should build vacuum quickly enough to sort them out.

The way you have done the pipes is okay, your brakes won't be affected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot to mention my map has egr off running. Would my setup be okay or would i still need to reconnect everything?

G

·
0 Posts
Your set-up is fine, I would just reconnect the pipes for neatness ( OCD alert.. ) and hide the disconnected pipe from the EGR somewhere down the back of the engine.

If your EGR is mapped out, I guess it could remain disconnected electrically, maybe a mapper on here would be more clued up...:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thatnks lol, i was planning on cleaning it up a little! Looks quite messy atm.
Also which hose are you saying needs disconnecting on the egr side? Im quite new to all this, sorry.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Removing vacuum pipes WILL NOT kill your brakes it MIGHT reduce the vac so they may in very rare circumstances become hard due to vac loss but the vacuum pump feeds the brake servo from a separate circuit and the engine solenoids are very much a secondary circuit.

If you have plugged the pipes they will be fine but as stated above its best to leave the electrics connected to keep the ecu happy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have had the EGR delete carried out as part of a remap you shouldn't plug in the blue plug.
HDI tuning said the Ecu no longer recognises that it has ever had an EGR valve so suddenly plugging it in will confuse the Ecu and may throw up some dash lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts