Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have a peugeot expert combi van/mpv 2.0 16v hdi model 2003. (Bosch ecu)

i had a remap which included an EGR delete (basically that the egr will never be asked to
open again in the software.)

a couple of weeks now and i have the engine management light come on.

the fault codes on the ECU are;

permanent fault.fault.pre/post heating relay circuit.relay stuck.

permanent fault.EGR butterfly position fault.open circuit.

permanent fault.EGR air circuit fault. airflow measured less than recommended.

my remapper has replied to my question of whether these faults were related to the remap? ;

"No, but it means your relay for glowplugs is bad, and that your egr has
electrical issues.

The egr delete is based on the fact that the egr will never be asked to
open again in the software.
Removing it physicaly will require a lot of fault removing etc."

my mechanic has told me;

"The Pre/Post Fault you can ignore its a hiccup in the system due to the way HDI’s warm up on start.
The Open circuit i rectified. however i had to disconnect it on the way back to yours as the airflow fault was causing limp mode to kick in.
Once the problem with the EGR airflow is rectified you can plug the electro valve back in"

what is at fault here?
and what do i need to do?

thanks in advance for any help.

D

·
0 Posts
Egr delete is a as simple as blocking a rubber pipe on this engine. You don't need to map it out. Also the egr is totally vacuum operated not electric.

·
11,725 Posts
my mechanic has told me;

"The Pre/Post Fault you can ignore its a hiccup in the system due to the way HDI’s warm up on start.

He's talking poo. This is usually fault code P1351 and caused by a faulty -although most likely a dirty glowplug relay, or even more likely needing new glow plugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's talking poo. This is usually fault code P1351 and caused by a faulty -although most likely a dirty glowplug relay, or even more likely needing new glow plugs.
mechanic further added;

You can spend a lot of money trying to fix the Preheat fault and the fault won’t go, 80% of HDI’s all have a preheat relay fault, the glow plugs and relay are not activated unless the external temperature is below minus 15 degrees C so in effect the ECU thinks the relay is stuck, I have done work for people who were convinced it could be cleared by changing the relay, plugs and wiring but the fault still remained.'

so really so long as it starts ok in cold weather i can live it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Egr delete is a as simple as blocking a rubber pipe on this engine. You don't need to map it out. Also the egr is totally vacuum operated not electric.
you mean the vacuum supply pipe?

but dont you also need to unplug the blue electrical connector on the electro valve (solenoid) ?

and without the 'egr switch' in the ecu being turned off in software ,would you always get a management information light come on?

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
There are 2 egr items on the 16 valve engine 1 is the egr solenoid operating the egr itself.

The other is the solenoid operating the flap in the air intake but the software calls them both egr !!

Both as david says are vacuum operated but the solenoids are electric and controlled by the ecu and if unplugged you get a fault stored leave them connected

If you have no particulate filter then the glowplug fault is best ignored it IS NOT the relay it is more likely glowplugs and the engine does not need them to start except when really cold

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 2 egr items on the 16 valve engine 1 is the egr solenoid operating the egr itself.

The other is the solenoid operating the flap in the air intake but the software calls them both egr !!

Both as david says are vacuum operated but the solenoids are electric and controlled by the ecu and if unplugged you get a fault stored leave them connected

If you have no particulate filter then the glowplug fault is best ignored it IS NOT the relay it is more likely glowplugs and the engine does not need them to start except when really cold

spot on..it does have two solenoids.
i dont have a particulate filter so thats ok.

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

but if the ecu has been mapped to 'switch off egr'
the egr valve will be left open

so i will need to unplug the blue connector on the egr solenoid to

close it

correct me if im not making sense here..

D

·
0 Posts
You've wasted money on a egr delete as your egr is totally vacuum operated. Block the pipe on top and it doesn't work anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've wasted money on a egr delete as your egr is totally vacuum operated. Block the pipe on top and it doesn't work anymore.
its ok i didnt pay for it anyway.

thanks thats probably the easiest way ive heard.

but ive had it deleted on my ecu now .

so from what ive found out

i will unplug the electrical blue connector from the egr electro valve (solenoid).

and that should do it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
EGR delete on the EDC15 is relatively simple if you know where the switch is, change a 1 to a 0 and it's off. This does require that you unplug the blue plug from the solenoid otherwise it will always receive 100% duty cycle and cause the EGR to be fully open.

If your tuner didn't know how to do this then I would question if he knows what he is doing. All it takes is a search on the tuning forums and all the info is in there and somebody even made step by step instructions for finding the switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts