Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 P308 SW 1.6 HDI with FAP 110 BHP.

Generally running very well,except for recent dire Anti-Pollution warning and a P0104 code.
Using a Launch Creader I have reset the eml,but the fault,described as intermittent,keeps returning.
I have checked the wiring security and the plug,all of which appear tickety-boo.
I guess my real question is whether my 168,000 Km MAF sensor has actually started to break down electrically,and instead of repeatedly attempting to isolate ghost faults,should I simply replace the unit ?

·
12,179 Posts
If its the original one on the car, its gone long beyond its service life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a new one in the letterbox this morning....all the way from sunny Leyland,Lancs. I have the car just over two years now,and the previous owner has no recollection of it being changed. So I'll wait for the next triggering and then swap it out.....I have a notion that it could be the Turbo variable vanes being a bit sticky as being the root cause...would that sound plausible ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update to this saga....Fitted the replacement MAF this morning,and immediately noticed a lumpy tickover,went shopping and it drove like a bad tempered sow.....No codes being registered,but definitely not driveable. The P1014 code originally presented after a main road run,when returning to tickover at the garden gate. EML remained on but general performance fine...So !....now I have disconnected the MAF plug and went for a short drive,and it drives fine,with NO EML showing..I'm toying with refitting the original MAF and seeing if there's spmething else that is causing the fault light to show ?...Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last post of the day !!...I decided to drown the original MAF in Electric Contact Cleaner,refit it and reconnect the plug and voila...no EML and plenty of boost...whilst mucking around I took some pics of the turbo area..I'm thinking the turbo does'nt spin as easily as it should,but maybe I'm chasing shadows ?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WElll.....after a week without P0104....it has returned...Grrrrrr....slowing down approaching a roundabout and click !! On comes the light....Not to be outdone,I've reset the EML and disconnected the MAF plug...and once again I am in the clear...so what exactly are the benefits of the MAF in the first place ?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have this issue with my wife’s vw had various faults all linked to maf sensors

I didn’t buy any new ones but eventually cleaned out the throttle body for some odd reason and since then over 6 months no light on and lumpy Tickover is much reduced

The throttle body in your engine is normally plastic but who knows

The unplugging of the maf sensor resets it to a standard map and turns a lot of other things off ie egr valve so it’s a slam dunk its the maf sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it were that simple Monty...but mine's a 1.6 Diesel,with more 'stuff; plugged and clamped to the engine than a nuclear power station merits...the P0104 message is back,but since the car is going like a rocket,I'll stick a bit of black tape over the eml telltale.... :(

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I’m aware I’ve had 4 cars with the same engine

What I was getting at is sometimes another fault is linked and it’s not the maf sensor at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts also...I'm leaning towards the Variable vanes in the turbo sticking....but that's a bit of a job for kerbside I feel :(

·
6,775 Posts
Based on those picture something has been getting into the turbo as there appears to be light abrasion damage to the turbo blades edges. Are you sure you have no split pipes or similar letting unfiltered air in

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 486810

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest update....after a week of normal driving with the DTC light showing,a few other items came to roost on my 308SW....(Has Covid had an impact on Bird droppings..?....I think so !!) So...this evening on the return journey from shopping...a few beeps from the dash and the following codes on my Creader....P0104 remains there...now joined by P0409 (permanent) P0490 (intermittent) P1459 (intermittent) and P0401 (permanent)....gulp !!...however am I correct in thinking it's the inevitable HDI 110 EGR disaster....?

·
Read Only
126 Posts
Latest update....after a week of normal driving with the DTC light showing,a few other items came to roost on my 308SW....(Has Covid had an impact on Bird droppings..?....I think so !!) So...this evening on the return journey from shopping...a few beeps from the dash and the following codes on my Creader....P0104 remains there...now joined by P0409 (permanent) P0490 (intermittent) P1459 (intermittent) and P0401 (permanent)....gulp !!...however am I correct in thinking it's the inevitable HDI 110 EGR disaster....?
If you experience a logged EGR fault, get it replaced is the best policy.
Mine had failed when I purchased the 2009 308 with 135000 on the clock back in 2017, had it replaced and never looked back.
I have to agree with windy1603, something has damaged the turbo blades for sure.
If the turbo does not work correctly, you will get an 'under boost'
Your new MAF sounds very suspect, who supplied it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you experience a logged EGR fault, get it replaced is the best policy.
Mine had failed when I purchased the 2009 308 with 135000 on the clock back in 2017, had it replaced and never looked back.
I have to agree with windy1603, something has damaged the turbo blades for sure.
If the turbo does not work correctly, you will get an 'under boost'
Your new MAF sounds very suspect, who supplied it?
My MAF unit came from an outlet in Leyland,Lancs..It was cheap,but then again it is advertised as new and should be fit for purpose....I am reserving judgement until I get to the bottom of the ever deepening pit of P codes...One thing I did'nt check is whether the MAF unit needs registering on the ECU via PP2K or sum such gubbins ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what really bothered me !!...The new unit does look spotless,and I might try it again tomorrow...I cleaned the old one,and it ran fine for almost a week before croaking again...now it runs fine on the original MAF with just the EML showing. Biggest red flag I suppose was the complete absence of numbers or markings on the replacement unit :unsure:mmmm ?

·
6,775 Posts
Pierburg or Bosch are common original units.

Some of the dirt cheap Ebay and similar one are very poor quality and do not work well or fail quite quickly

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts