Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 307 90bhp 2.0 hdi i noticed a weird smell when i started it up. when i opened the bonnet there was some smoke coming from the area of the relay by the fuse box

does anyone know what this relay is for? is there any common issues or could it have been damp burning off

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
If it's smoking then check the wiring going to the relay also see if the relay body is getting warm. It could be a poor connection causing arcing or the relay coil going low resistance. Worst case scenario - under bonnet fire causing lots of damage.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
i think we may have had a small fire lol. the bolt that bolts up is loose. the thread moves too
Think I'd be tempted to replace the relay especially if the threaded stud is loose. If there is arcing inside it could end up burning the relay completely and taking the wiring out with it and possibly more. And it would probably happen at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the threaded part is knackered. i checked with my missus car and hers is solid

ill leave the car now until i get the part

·
11,731 Posts
That relay is in quite a vulnerable spot for dirt and crud to hit the underside and connections. I stripped mine down, cleaned all contacts then protected with Vaseline.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took the relay off. theres no way this can be salvaged lol.

i have sourced a new one for tomorrow so hope to have it sorted asap

what shall i put on the threads just normal grease

C

·
0 Posts
I'd say use vaseline or at a push some multi purpose grease I use it on my battery terminals

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally got this sorted. ordered the part only to get sent the wrong one.

i left the old one connected to see how it went. the main bolt just fell out of the relay. a problem as the bolt wouldnt undo.

the next bolt just fell off in my hand. so decided to start again with new connectors, insulation and grease

all seems to be well:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts