Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Regeneration woes *fixed*

Hi all
Well this is my first post for help as I haven't got the foggiest what's going on with this.
05 307 rhr 2.0 136 fap
It is regenerating lots. It seems to get around 4-7% loading and then off it goes.
I have planet and I have no fault codes other than the usual heater plug one which it's had since I've owned the car which is many successful regens ago.

When it regenerates it is rough and I mean rough. This has started happening recently, previous regens have been pretty much unnoticeable at around 450 miles between them now down to 30 odd miles. I am aware they are semi rough when regnerating however this becomes almost undriveable, misfiring type symptoms, lack of accleration etc. as soon as the regen says 'active' on planet it turns in to a nightmare, it regenerates fine though, just far too often and far too rough.

I have just been out and given it a forced regen through planet, the moving one not the stationery one and that completed fine and relatively smoothly, pretty much as expected, certainly not rough.

I have just changed my Dpf pressure sensor as the old one had water in however the new readings are no different to the old ones being 0 at idle, then going to 21mb at 2-3k to 43mb at 4k and 128mb when balls out acceleration is on. These sound ok to me?
Egr valve is new and blanked from the word go. I doubt the blanking plate is causing this however it's easy enough to remove just in case.
The fluid is being injected and I have about half of it left, counters reset just in case.

Fuel pressure a little low around 253 at idle but smooth as silk when not regnerating. No weird spikes in the figures when all this kangarooing goes on that I can see. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place though.

Any thoughts on what else I can do? Am at a total loss with this one.
If the Dpf was blocked or near then end of its life I would have thought I would see higher pressure readings and the dreaded anti pollution.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Don't know too much about regens but I do know that it uses the glow plugs to do a successful regen so maybe your heater plug fault codes have something to do with it, perhaps one glow plug or more have gone faulty? Just a thought, I don't know if this would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I have thought this however that error has been on for ages,even when it was regenerating smoothly at the correct intervals. Also the regens do complete, assuming planet isn't telling me porkies.
It is on the to do list though!!
Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Def need to renew the heater plugs NOW if you are getting that fault. It will go through the motions when regenerating and will try it's best to clear the DPF but working heater plugs are essential for the cycle to complete effectively. If you don't the DPF will become clogged beyond repair. I know this from experience with my own car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Def need to renew the heater plugs NOW if you are getting that fault. It will go through the motions when regenerating and will try it's best to clear the DPF but working heater plugs are essential for the cycle to complete effectively. If you don't the DPF will become clogged beyond repair. I know this from experience with my own car.
So his Planet system is telling him porkies then. I thought this diagnostics equipment is supposed to pick up faulty glow plugs? :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
So his Planet system is telling him porkies then. I thought this diagnostics equipment is supposed to pick up faulty glow plugs? :eek:
Hi all
I have planet and I have no fault codes other than the usual heater plug one which it's had since I've owned the car which is many successful regens ago.
It does pick them up:)

I also think you should get the plugs fixed before trying anything else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I have thought this however that error has been on for ages,even when it was regenerating smoothly at the correct intervals. Also the regens do complete, assuming planet isn't telling me porkies.
It is on the to do list though!!
Thanks
I noticed that a the sensor you changed had water ingress so has any moisture got into the filter itself rendering or reducing it's function. From what I have read on other forums the filter requires replacement at a 100K if driven properly but if it is a town driver look at 30k tops.

As reliable says these need to be kept opened up else there will be problems to come.

I noticed you have blanked or deleted the EGR system. Have you mapped it out?

It may not be a bad idea just to reconnect the system to see if there is any improvement. As the ECU may be 'looking' for it and over compensating.

Does emit clouds of black smoke when you give it some beans?

I'am glad I have not got one these variants as they seem to cause a lot of you guys grief. :eek:

Hope this might help you somewhat. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also think you should get the plugs fixed before trying anything else.
It shall be done, i have been putting it off as trying to let the skin grow back from when I did the egr. As mentioned that fault has been there for ages although I suppose maybe I have more than 1 plug out now which has caused it to throw a wobbler. Temperature of the Dpf gets up to 620 degrees plus so it's certainly getting hot enough even though my plugs are shagged.
I shall report back at the weekend. Heading down to Manchester Saturday and then back to kendal so should have an idea if the plug replacement has worked on Saturday eve.

As far as I'm aware egr doesn't need mapping out on these as long as it physically works it should be ok blanked. The old egr was stuck open and even with the plate in I was getting errors and judder so that's why it got replaced. it is plugged in so the car thinks all is well re the egr however I shall whip the plate out just in case. No smoke whatsoever either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really can't wrap my head around why it would be so undrivable when it goes into regen by itself, especially as it runs fine when you initiate a moving regen via planet.

I'll try to get some live data from my own car and see if they match yours, but won't have time before friday.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really can't wrap my head around why it would be so undrivable when it goes into regen by itself, especially as it runs fine when you initiate a moving regen via planet.

I'll try to get some live data from my own car and see if they match yours, but won't have time before friday.
Do you think his vehicle is misfiring at any point causing un-burnt fuel to be thrown into the exhaust systems?

Depending on the mileage the car has covered it's possible the injector nozzles may be blocked or dribbling.

Correct me if I'am wrong but surely these variants produce clouds of smoke when the soot is being cleared when on the regeneration process.

I see this everyday when owners of these diesels open them up when on the motorways.

Do you notice your vehicle doing this at all?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea it used to when I first got it. First thing i did was a 10 hour motorway drive, cleaned it right up. My daily commute is 15 minutes at 70mph. Can't see soot getting built up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Bizarre isn't it!! It regenerated again the morning, it was about 2% loading this time, 20 odd miles since the last one. As soon as the coolant tempt raised up a bit it started. Pressures still the same. Not too rough but still more than I would expect. When I got the car you couldn't tell it was regenerating other than the relays clicking so something is defo going on.

Yes live data would be most interesting to see as a comparison, thanks.

If it was heater plug related I would have expected failed regens but they are always successful and it always goes back to 0% loading after the regens happen. If it was telling me porkies and only doing part regens I would expect the dpf pressure to increase until it blocked but it doesn't.

Maybe I have 2 issues here. 1 is that I now have more than 1 heater plug gone hence the kangarooing as it cannot burn the extra fuel well enough, the second is the constant regen issue. (although surely the car would refuse to regen if it really needed the plugs as it knows they are duff)

I very much doubt new heater plugs will sort the 2nd problem out but I will do them and can hope!!!

My journeys are mostly motorway, very rare I tootle about towns.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have never seen any smoke from the back of my 307, the filter removes it all. The diesels you see producing clouds of soot when accelerating hard have no filter. The regeneration process reduces the soot to ash, which still remains trapped inside the filter, but takes up a far smaller volume, and it is this ash you see if you wash out the filter, but you have to reverse flush it to get anything out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mentioned before i had reset the additive counters however i have read you can tell the car it has a new dpf.
Where in planet is this?? I have been in the dpf ecu and replacement parts but when i select new dpf fitted it says i can only do this through the engine ecu however i can't see an option for it in there?
Diagbox v 7.55

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is from ServiceBox:

4.3. Postheating operation - Help in particle filter regeneration (FAP)
During a regeneration phase, the BSI may ask the engine ECU to operate the pre-heater plugs so as to "load" the engine (To increase the electrical consumption in order to augment the engine temperature for the requirements of the particle filter).
The plugs are activated for a maximum duration of one second and their activation depends on engine speed and also fuel flow (Risk of overheating and knock).

It could be that the ECU keeps asking them to come on during a regen but they won't so returns a fault and starts the process all over again. The fact that you do mainly motorway driving is the reason your DPF isn't getting clogged up but it would otherwise and the ECU needs to know that the car will regen successfully on it's own terms with all contributing components working which is how the system is designed.

As they are an integral component of the regeneration cycle, I would strongly recommend replacing them if they are duff (what planet is telling you) (even if it is to rule them out)

·
Registered
240 Posts
glowplugs...there cheap enough to buy,change them ,if there easier to get to on your car than a 2.0hdi,
i'd just get and change them, can you then check if the relay is ok feeding them too?
i replaced this first on mine first as it was easier to do than the glowplugs.
i bought it from peugeot a genuine part identical t othe one fitted,rather than the nearest compatible generic copy-AND WAS CHEAPER FROM PEUGEOT
bought the glowplugs off ebay though....
neil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heater plugs done

Well what a right swine of a job they were to do!
Never again.

So all the old plugs were duff. Nice shiny new ones installed and now no more p1351 fault code, wooooohoooo.

Hasn't made a scrap of difference to the daily regeneration though as expected.
So can safely say heater plugs are not essential to the regen process (on my engine anyway).
It does however regen a little smoother but other than that there is no difference.

So does any one else have any ideas what could be causing the frequent regen?
It doesn't seem to go off mileage. Start from cold and as soon as the coolant hits a certain temp,off it goes. Stop the engine and restart and no regen. Leave to cool and then off it goes again.
The temp sensor appears to read accurately.

At a loss now. To clarify I have no fault codes at all (for now anyway, this is a 307 after all).

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i had this problem no faults. changed egr valve still nothing. the dpf was clean as a whistle when i took it off

ended up mapping it out as it was causing major performance issues when regenerating and mpg was pretty bad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorted....

battery changed, all is well.....

How annoying! To be fair I needed to do the heater plugs and my Dpf sensor was indeed full of water so these parts would have needed doing sooner rather than later.

The rough running when regenerating must have been down to the failing battery, so when all the consumers were cranked on it lost the plot.
Not quite sure why it insisted on regenerating constantly, all I can think is the Dpf ecu is very reliant on consistent voltage. Would have expected to see other signs of the failing battery though.
Perfect starter, no 'bong' on starting. Drop tested the old battery and it was on its way out.

Glad it's sorted though, was getting to the 'rip the Dpf out' stage.

Cheers for all the pointers.
Until next time!

·
Registered
160 Posts
battery changed, all is well.....

How annoying! To be fair I needed to do the heater plugs and my Dpf sensor was indeed full of water so these parts would have needed doing sooner rather than later.

The rough running when regenerating must have been down to the failing battery, so when all the consumers were cranked on it lost the plot.
Not quite sure why it insisted on regenerating constantly, all I can think is the Dpf ecu is very reliant on consistent voltage. Would have expected to see other signs of the failing battery though.
Perfect starter, no 'bong' on starting. Drop tested the old battery and it was on its way out.

Glad it's sorted though, was getting to the 'rip the Dpf out' stage.

Cheers for all the pointers.
Until next time!
Wow, those 307 electrics really makes no sense at times. Glad you figured it out!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts