Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what does the Redex diesel treatment do to the running of the car??

My 2.0HDI hasn't felt like its running right for a while, then read on here how someone switched from supermarket diesel to branded diesel and all was better for them, however branded is 4p/l more expensive than supermarket diesel here, so I continued to use supermarket diesel and put in the half a bottle of Redex diesel treatment I had in the shed. This was last night. Out today, and the car feels soooo different, a lot smoother and quieter for some reason, and extremely good on fuel - was full, now down to first mark, i.e. 7/8 left, and says I can do another 540 miles, this is on top of the 100 I've already done on this tank today.

Not sure if this Redex is really the best thing to use long term in the engine, but for a one off, it seems b****y brilliant!

Anyone else use it??

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i beleive redex removes the carbon build up in the engine "opening" th engine up...also i beleive it lubricates the fuel pump and what not. being very high octane it burns brilliantly in the engine also and improves emmisions slightly.

ive used 3 different types of fuel treatment so far...

redex
millers
wynns

i have to say, there is not much of a difference between them, they all do what it says on the tin. but personally i prefer millers as i use their engine oil also :thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's currently £2 a bottle in Tesco. I bought 10 of each flavour.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it recommended to use it long-term in the HDI engines though?? Don't want to damage something in the process that ends up costing more in the long run!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nosing around on this wonderful site, it seems a lot of people use it in order to deal with depollution faults. I'm guessing it helps burn off all that nasty ash stuff?

Must say, my wife noticed an improvement after I stuck a bottle in on half a tank of fuel (which is NOT what it says to do!) to deal with DPF issue - she said it ran nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Redex contains 'cleaners' to dissolve and burn off any cack accumulated on injectors etc. If you've a dodgy spray pattern, it will make the car run better - by better - I mean it will run as it should.

Millers does the same - but also includes a cetane improver - so Millers does wot redex does and more.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The petrol stuff also cleans O2 sensors, and a bottle of redex saved me a few years back during the silicone-in-the-petrol affair, while everyone else was paying out big bucks for new O2 probes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Supposed to be some cataclean stuff does the same thing to the o2 sensors, but others just say that a good hard runabout on the motorway for a while does just as good, something about getting the cat lit up, and blowing the crap off the o2 sensors.
Petrol only though I think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used Redex in my old Rover. I use millers now in the 407, cos it has that cetane booster, tho I can't think that I have ever noticed an improvement in power.

·
Registered
183 Posts
we sell wynns in our shop, we have garages that if they are having problems getting a car through MOT due to emissions they use the wynns diesel power 3 and they swear by it, we had the rep for wynns come round and do the hole in the bottom of the bottle demonstration with the wynns cooling system stop leak, its quit something.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redex worked fine for me. Well nice.

I think that it does work nicely, but there's also the added fact you want it to improve so badly that you convince yourself you've stuck a new engine in :lol:

·
11,978 Posts
I did. I didn't get the clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust like some have reported, but the car drove much smoother afterwards and MPG increased.

I used to get about 530-550 out of a full tank of diesel in my 307. But after this and regular use of the Millers Ecomax fuel additive it was doing 600 without any effort or change in driving style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cool.. was it a difficult job todo.. Did you have to strip anything down?

I've just got a 95k 407, which although has got FSH from a lease company, still good to help keep things smooth.

Also, how often do you use ecomax.. I used to use it like ever 10k, but that was from new.. worth doing every tank for a while?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use redex regurally never had any problem and it is supposed to be good for your engine never heard of it doing any harm:thumb:

·
11,978 Posts
cool.. was it a difficult job todo.. Did you have to strip anything down?

I've just got a 95k 407, which although has got FSH from a lease company, still good to help keep things smooth.

Also, how often do you use ecomax.. I used to use it like ever 10k, but that was from new.. worth doing every tank for a while?
On my 307 it was just a case of unplugging the MAF sensor plug, undoing the big jubilee clip and taking it off the air pipe. Then with a warm engine spray the stuff in while running at the right revs. If it wasn't so hard to get to I would have removed it and cleaned it by hand.

As for the Ecomax, put 50ml in every fill up. Its £12 a bottle but considering you get 10 fills per tank it works out the same or cheaper than redex.

·
Registered
213 Posts
After reading this thread i've spent the last half hour or so trawling the internet for any info.
There seems to be as many people who say these additives help, as there people who say they are a waste of money.
Part of me wonders if it's the placebo effect.
I've used the petrol redex treatment many times when I was younger but never noticed any difference.

The same debate seems to go on between supermarket fuels and others like shell BP etc, etc being better.
I've used tesco fuel for many years and never noticed any problems......not solely I might add, I just seem to fill up at the closest filling station.

All that being said, at the moment I don't think i'm in any need of the additive type products.
My car has only done 21000 miles, but in the back of my mind i'm thinking do they help prolong the life of the engine?

Surely regular servicing and a good blowout from time to time is just as good.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts