Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding the best oil to buy for my Pug 206 1.1 LX. It is a 2002 and has 54,000 miles on the clock.

I have had it off the road since May so i'm looking to do an oil and filter change as it's probably around 18 months since it was last given a service.

I'll probably just buy an oil filter that suits a 2002 Pug 206 from Halfords as I can't imagine there's much difference in them. But as for the oil, which is the best to buy in terms of viscosity/rating for my engine taking into consideration mileage etc?

Cheers,
Picco

G

·
For the love of all that's holy, don't buy the filter from halfrauds. Get a genuine pug one, or one from MAHLE or Purflux, both of whom make OE filters for pug. In fact, the oil itself may well be no pricier from the dealers...the 5w 40 synth for my 407 came in with change from £30 at the dealers, and don't forget the sump plug washer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I right in saying that 5w/40w is a good bit dearer than 10w/40w say? I'm not on an unlimited budget, I don't want to put rubbish in it, but don't want to spend £45 on oil either.

I bought 10w/40w for my Mini earlier in the year and it seems to be taking it quite well. Is there a big enough difference between 5w/40w and 10w/40w to spend the extra? When I bought 10w/40w for my Mini in May it cost £15 from Halfords for a 5L tub of Mobil 1.

Thanks, for the tip on the sump plug washer - forgot about that :) . I have enquired about getting on in another post.

Cheers,
Picco

G

·
10w 40 for a mineral oil, 15w 40 for a semi synth, 5w 40 for fully synth is pugs recommendation.

If you're a low mileage or urban user (ie, 'arduous' duty cycle) I'd go for synth, otherwise stick with semi-syth. It costs so little more than mineral as makes no difference, about £12 a gallon upwards if you know where to ferret it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts