Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had the clutch and flywheel changed on my Peugeot 307SW (06 plate).
Everything was going well but then the steering started to get very heavy, thought the steering fluid might need topping up but couldn't find where this was so I took it to the local Garage (not the one that fixed the clutch/flywheel). He said that there is fluid leaking from a steering fluid pipe (near the gear box) and something about the the drive shaft arm not being connected (?). I know nothing about cars but he said to take it back to the original garage as they may have knocked something when changing the clutch/flywheel and work may be covered under warranty. I think I may have a fight on my hands to get this corrected and was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and for any hints and tips x

·
Registered
883 Posts
Why do you think you will have a fight on your hands.? If the garage that fitted the clutch has made a mistake they should rectify it F O C.
I would ask the garage that discovered the faults to give you the details on paper,they could also give you some sort of "script" for making a complaint.
I would then go to the garage that fitted the clutch and ask for the owner,point out these faults and say they are a direct result of the work carried out as they were OK before the job.Be firm and don't take no for answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the wrong section, never done anything like this before.
Took it back to the garage and earlier in the day the receptionist said it needed a new Steering Gasket and would call me later with the quote for the work. I pointed out that there was no problem with the steering before the clutch and flywheel were changed and that surely the work would come under warranty for the previous work done. She said it would definitely not be under the warranty and it would be classed as 'disturbance' which isn't covered by the warranty. However, she would have a word with the mechanic and maybe we could come to some arrangement over the price (?). Anyway, I get a call later from a different receptionist saying that the car was ready to be picked up, I said what is the cost as no one called me with a quote. She said it didn't need any work and he has just topped up the steering fluid free of charge. I got there and he said there is some leaking 'but it has probably been doing it for months' and that 'the drive shaft cover (or something like that) had come loose and he had tightened it'.
Anyway, I take the car which is driving fine and I don't get 3 miles from the garage when the plastic bits behind the wheel on the drivers side start rubbing on the wheel and breaking off all over the road. I pull into the nearest petrol station and call the garage, they said to bring it back. I fixed it up as best I could and drove it back.
He fixed some new plastic clips into what was left and trimmed off any bits that couldn't fix up. To be honest this was a little loose before but it seems funny that after he was fiddling around with the steering fluid container on that side that the whole thing fell off!! Again he didn't charge. By the time I drive the 10 miles home, although the steering seems fine it's started making the whirring sound that I know means the steering fluid is low.
Going to take it back to the other garage tomorrow to see if I can get some proof that they have messed up.
I really need to take a mechanic with me to the incompetent garage, as I don't know much about cars I am gullible.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You said earlier that you may have a fight on your hands? it looks as if you have.What sort of outfit is this garage? a main dealer ? independant? what ever they are they appear to be hopeless.
Sorry Jenny but you have done the opposite of what I suggested.Dont talk to some dopey bird on reception,(who says steering gasket) whats that for goodness sake.Dont listen to one of their incompetent mechanics who`s probably trying to hide his shoddy work.
You should go straight to the top,by pass these idiots,talk to the manager and calmly list and describe the catalogue of events since you had the clutch replaced.Reminding him that there was no leak from the steering before the job.Tell him you feel you have been given the run around by their workshop and you intend to take it further. Head office? MAA? or what ever.
It would have been useful if you had got,as I suggested,details in mechanical language from the other garage,of what the faults are.If you can find a knowledgeable person to go with you that would be great. By the way,are you in the AA or RAC ? if so they can help you.
It sounds to me that "the cover" being talked about is one of the drive shaft gaiters.Drive shafts have to be removed when replacing a clutch and all it would need is a new band clip.
The power steering leak is your main concern.It must be rectified soon,otherwise loss of fluid and running dry will damage the pump.

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
Sounds like a garage I know :)

You put your car in for a service and they break things then deny all responsibility !

As old pug says go back to see the BOSS not the monkey and if you get no progress just point out to him that social media is good at giving bad publicity as well as good.

If the service is that poor im sure you can find more unhappy customers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
She said it would definitely not be under the warranty and it would be classed as 'disturbance' which isn't covered by the warranty
I do concur that having loud parties and upsetting the neighbors is not a warranty matter... :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it back to them. It has been there 4 days and needs a new steering rack.
Still confused as I never had any steering issues before and would have thought that a leaking steering rack would have been picked up on when I asked them to check the car over before giving the go ahead for the clutch and fly wheel.
On googling the garage, everyone seems to say great things about them.
I am hoping this will be it and I will have trouble free motoring for the next year at least!!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is an awkward one? I cant see any reason why changing a clutch can cause a steering rack to leak.If it IS? the rack leaking and it really does need a whole new unit I suppose you will have to except it.
Just one more question you can ask them,did they remove the front subframe when doing the clutch job? (the rack is bolted to the subframe).why didn't they notice the leak then?
Any way I think you could go on and on and get nowhere? just ask them,what with all the money you have already spent,together with this issue,can I have the rack fitted free of labour charge? you just pay for parts? if you don't ask you wont get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help!
I will definitely ask them if they had to move the subframe and also for a discount.
They have had my car for 6 days tomorrow, that is a heck of a lot of labour (lol)! Luckily they have given me a courtesy car otherwise I would have been really stuck!!
I am wondering now whether they are putting in a new steering rack or have sent the old one off to be fixed? As a new one should have been available the next day to be fitted.
I am only guessing as I don't know much about cars and am learning as I go!
Thank you again
X

·
Registered
883 Posts
A new or a reconditioned steering rack for your Peugeot should be available off the shelf in most areas,next day delivery at least.A recon` rack is a lot cheaper than a new Peugeot part.
I would suspect they are very busy and your car is sitting there waiting to be slotted into their work schedule?
The fact you have their courtesy car is good news so at least your mobile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts