Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there

this is the first time that I have posted and hope someone can help me.
I have a 407 sw on a 54 plate and the rear wipers and the water sprayer will not work. It has been with the mechanic all day and he doesnt have a clue.
There was also a problem with the tailgate not closing and he seemed to think this was related.
Anyway if anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful.
Not too technical please as I am a woman with very little knowledge of cars.
thanks for any help
mbys

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take the car to a registered peugeot service agent, as they would undoubtedly know how to fix it.

Questions to ask, Has the car been involved in a rear end collision
Has anyone worked on the rear end or engine bay since this fault began?
Has the car been serviced before the fault began?

Reason I ask these questions because some mechanics are notorious for stalling a wasting time to repair something they stuffed in the first place. Usually it's a wiring loom that has been disconnected by the mechanic either unintentional or deliberate.

Post the answer to the above and we will proceed from there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello johnc
thanks for the reply. As far as I am aware the car has no history of any accident and has a full service history. The problem started before the mechanic looked at it and I dont even think that he tried to remove the wiper. Someone at the garage were it came from may have worked on it as the panel that cover the wiring above the tailgate was off and they said that it had fallen off but it was replaced when we picked it up.
I do think your right though I will have to take it to a peugeot garage and let them sort it, do you think this will be an expensive job to remedy.
thanks again
mbys

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only 2 problems that can go wrong!!

Disconnected wiring loom or

Failed motor.

However both motor and water pump do not break down at the same time!!!

So here it is, undo the trim and check the loom for any wiring joins and soldering that has been done, also check for power the wiper.

I need you to take a look around for any signs of a tow bar being fitted at one stage unless you already have one attached.

If there is a tow bar then it is an electrical fault.

I could be wrong but without hearing and seeing it personally it is hard to conclude.

After reading in to your post again, I read that the tailgate didn't close, that is also an electrical switch so this car may have been involved in a minor collision at the rear or someone has been stuffing around with the wiring.

Any signs of wiring joins will deem it an electrical fault. Seems as though the tailgate has been removed for some reason?

Anyway to save you money get someone to check the voltage to the wiper, with the car on and switch on with a multimeter easy task to do!!

Then check the fuses to make sure they are in order.

Check the voltage again, no voltage after checking the fuses, then take the trim off and check for any joins. Check the wiring loom on the tailgate and the connectors located on the cars body where the tailgate meets the main frame. Some idiots tend to cut the wires at this point!!! I ask why???

Anyway any joins will cause disruption to how the multiplex computer communicates with the wiper and pump.

These are the extremes but I'm confident in your case it is only a minor wiring fault eg fuse and loom connection. I should not cost anymore that at least a couple of hours work finding it. If it is a motor get the dealer to pay for it, but it should be as both motor and pump do not tend to cease at the same time>:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts