·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My 307 passed the MOT but I've got two advisories:

Rear underbody-chassis getting rusty and weak
Exhaust getting weak at rear

Obviously the backbox will need replacing at some point, however I'm confused by Rear underbody-chassis getting rusty and weak.

How can this be fixed, is it something that would put someone off buying a car? I've never ever seen this before, so slightly odd.

Trouble is I cannot ask the MOT garage as it took them 2 days to replace the rear discs/pads and the guy was so rude when I collected it, he waved the paper at me and picked up the phone to call someone else...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it need welding work or is the rear chassis a bolt on / bolt off part?

Yeah I'll wait till it dies then have a brand new one fitted - I did notice before the MOT that the pipe that pokes out of the backbox under the rear bumper is rotting away, so I'll keep an eye on it, but just never heard of the rear chassis rusting on any car before...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Where I have seen some minor corrosion is the areas behind the wheels were the box sections meet the rear bumper. I've cleaned this off a few times and recoated it with underseal. But then it has never been really bad, just some superficial stuff. I think the very wet winter we had last winter gave this area a hammering but I always check under mine every year and treat anything that needs doing.

As Monty said, lift it and take a peek

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Guys,

My 307 passed the MOT but I've got two advisories:

Rear underbody-chassis getting rusty and weak
Exhaust getting weak at rear

Obviously the backbox will need replacing at some point, however I'm confused by Rear underbody-chassis getting rusty and weak.

How can this be fixed, is it something that would put someone off buying a car? I've never ever seen this before, so slightly odd.

Trouble is I cannot ask the MOT garage as it took them 2 days to replace the rear discs/pads and the guy was so rude when I collected it, he waved the paper at me and picked up the phone to call someone else...
I would suggest you change your Mechanic after all he was rude to a customer Bad
all MOT examiners like to cover their A*se try and find an Exhaust place to look at your rot in your pipes whilst it is up on the ramps ask to take a look showing the MOT certificate for a second opinion
Most garages are not so rude to the people paying their wages :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts